Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
fakir (71), HelpMeHelpHim32 (41), motherstars (65)
Who's Online
4 registered (4 invisible), 15 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64189 Topics
447924 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#84676 - 10/28/06 11:37 AM RIP Adam Rickwood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
How tragic, a young boy who was known to self harm was left to hang himself.
He hung himself with the laces from his best trainers which his mom brought to him in confinement.

It beggars belief that someone so young is locked away without full assessment as to his inner problems.

We need a public enquiry now, to save further young people doing what Adam did.

Suffering in silence
Wake up! Listen to their cries!

Real player story trigger warning

The tragic death of 14-year-old Adam Rickwood has turned the spotlight on the Youth Justice Board. Alison Benjamin meets its chief executive, Ellie Roy

Wednesday August 18, 2004
The Guardian

It was not an auspicious start. Just six weeks into Ellie Roy's new job as chief executive of the Youth Justice Board (YJB), a 14-year-old boy became the youngest person to commit suicide in a British jail. The death of Adam Rickwood, who was last week found hanging in his cell at Hassockfield secure training centre, Co Durham, has prompted calls from prison reformers for a public inquiry into the youth justice system that Roy now presides over.

In particular, they want the use of secure training centres (STCs) - a new breed of privately-run child prisons, funded by the YJB, where children as young as 12 are locked up - to be investigated. Roy is unconvinced. She says demands for a review must be weighed against the needs of local neighbourhoods where young people can wreak havoc. "It's a real dilemma because we have not found anything to solve the problems faced by these kids from very troubled backgrounds, nor the problems they pose," she says.

"When it gets to the point of locking them up we are either talking about a kid who has committed a very serious offence, or a kid who has persistently offended no matter what you try."

Roy has spoken to Adam's mother and hopes to meet his family next week. "All you can say is what a desperate tragedy it is for them," she says. The board has launched a full investigation into the circumstances surrounding Adam's death. There are currently 2,637 people under the age of 18 in secure detention in England and Wales - double the number a decade ago. Since 1998, 15 children have killed themselves in custody.

Perhaps surprisingly, Roy agrees with her detractors who criticise the youth justice system for locking up too many youngsters and point to most other EU countries where fewer children are channelled through the penal system. "I agree with the campaigners who say we lock up too many kids, in the sense that we ought to be doing a lot more at a much earlier stage to make sure we don't end up having to remove kids from their families and communities because of the difficulties they are presenting," she says. "The board's view is that we should do more, and we are keen to do more, to ensure that where possible those kids are supervised in the community."

She stresses the excellent work that multi-agency youth offending teams - whose work is overseen by the YJB - have been doing across England and Wales in the past four years to support and advise young offenders. "We do everything possible to get them into constructive activities and to deal with the problems they are facing in their own lives."

The board's hands are tied when it comes to the courts serving increasing numbers of custodial sentences on children. It does, however, have a choice about which type of detention to send them to: young offenders institutions (YOIs), where the majority are detained; local authority secure units, which have around 260 boys and girls; or the three STCs where 180 are currently locked up.

Some 76% of the YJB's budget is spent purchasing custodial places from the prison service, local authorities and private contractors including Premier Custodial Group, which runs Hassockfield, and Group 4, which operates the two other STCs in Medway, Kent, and Rainsbrook, near Rugby.

Roy, who is married to the head of the prison service, Phil Wheatley, denies any conflict of interest over purchasing decisions and says it is "neither here nor there" whether the private or public sector is running the service. What is critical, she believes, is to ensure the custodial experience is a constructive one. Where a child is particularly vulnerable because of their age or mental health she says the board would try to make sure that they were detained in a local authority unit or a STC.

Local authority secure units, which often have no more than 20 beds, are staffed by people trained in child welfare - including experienced social workers - with a high ratio of staff to young people, allowing for intensive support. In comparison, STCs have up to 72 beds and recruit staff from a variety of backgrounds, who undergo a nine-week training course which Roy says gives them enough skills to recognise mental health issues.

Roy talks at some length about the tremendous problems faced by most children in custody including "great difficulties at school, being excluded from school, being failed by family, mental health issues and substance abuse: many have been in the care system", and she rattles off statistics about their low educational attainment - "more than a quarter have literacy and numeracy levels equivalent to those of an average seven-year-old".

She adds: "It's probably beyond the imagination of the average person in the street to understand just what they've been through and where they've come from."

If there were better mental health teams working with these kids at an early stage, they would probably not end up in the criminal justice system, she accepts. "Mental health needs are a big, big, big issue and one we haven't really got to grips with at all."

Given the kids' high levels of need, you could be mistaken for thinking that the YJB must be purchasing more custodial places from local authorities. But quite the opposite. Between April 2003 and June 2004, there were a fifth fewer children in local authority secure units. The board has contracts with 15 local authorities. It stopped contracting with two local authority-run units last year that have subsequently closed and a further two which are planning to close.

A place at a local authority secure unit does not come cheap: around £150,000 a year, compared to £100,000 at a STC and just £50,000 at a YOI. Does cost determine purchasing decisions? "There is a cost factor," admits Roy. "We can't afford to lock everyone up in a local authority secure unit and there are not enough local authority places. We shouldn't be spending money on intensive things if we can provide a decent regime for less."

No doubt this is one reason why the board is pressing ahead with the opening of the fourth and largest STC - Oakhill, in Milton Keynes - later this month. A fifth is scheduled to open soon in Wales.

As their name suggests, STCs focus on education and training. Roy claims a number of children are making good progress - though no figures are yet available - and she cites positive inspectorate reports to emphasise that they are doing a good job. She is keen to stress, however, that the YJB's primary purpose is to prevent offending. "What we know is that if a child hasn't offended by the age of 14 then they are much less likely to."

The YJB is in discussions with the Department for Education and Skills about how to identify kids and parents who need help at an early stage and providing intensive support for families. It is also in talks with the Home Office about the impact that initiatives from Number 10 - which have widened the pool of young people who could now be drawn into the criminal justice system for staying out late or spraying graffiti - might have on its work.

"We need to be very careful in demonising and criminalising young people," says Roy. "We do that at our peril." She admits she hung around on street corners with her friends when she was growing up in Co Tyrone. "Lots of us did. I wasn't an angel but I didn't get into grievous trouble and I had a mother who would have punished me if I'd done anything anti-social."

#84678 - 10/29/06 04:58 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

The outrage wont go away, they are holding a rally in London to make everybody see their plight.

You can see the plight of the little guy being bullied and whatever else.
He bottled a man in his twenties, so we can only guess what for.

A young boy with no record of violence should have been screened by psyche docs, and found a place in a care home, not locked up.

The cops were told that he had severe emotional problems, so locking him up must have been the worst nightmare for him.

When are they going to wake up!
He cried for help for so long and nothng was ever done. Sounds like we can all put ourselves in his shoes on that matter.

They need to LISTEN!!!

ste

I am doing my own campaign to the justice system to alert them to just what makes kids do bad things when there is no past violent episodes.

#84679 - 11/15/06 03:24 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
sis Offline

Loc: Arizona
Ste, i am very interested in what your campaign is all about. please share the details with me if yu can. you can PM if you want. light and luv Sis

#84680 - 11/15/06 05:02 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Quote:
"It's a real dilemma because we have not found anything to solve the problems faced by these kids from very troubled backgrounds, nor the problems they pose," she says.
You never will if you dont LISTEN!

ste

#84681 - 11/15/06 08:03 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
Kirk Wayne Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Shrewsbury UK
Is a downright outrage that the UK locks up more kids than all of Europe put together, we put the childeren in jail and let the perps walk the streets unsupervised ...... total, total madness.

Kirk
"Lets grab this bull by the horns and swing it about a bit"

#84682 - 11/15/06 08:47 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Kirk, that is exactly the case, then you get some freakin idiot making crap statements.

Sis, this hit me in the face about this kid, he hit a guy who must have really hurt him of past.
I thought of just how volatile my mind would have been at his age.

Did he need to be securely locked up? NO - he had no history of violence, so why? Lock him up.

If they wont or cant listen to the kids, then we must speak out for them, and turn the whole thing around on locking up terrified little boys.

They call it zero tolerance, I call it abuse,

ste

#84683 - 11/15/06 08:53 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

i wanted to post on this but it would be so long . i came out of that system i can give a hundered reasons why the system dont work .

#84684 - 11/16/06 12:47 AM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
sis Offline

Ste
I am wondering how you are going to speak out for these children? i would like to help if i can. My brohter was one of those kids. csa at home and destructive behavior on the streets, not violent against anyone but property. He was taken at i think about 11 or 12 and put into juvenile detention and from there to prison. He was about 28 before he finally got out of the system but they are working on him still. I called his probation officer and told him that he didn't need prison he needed professional help with alcohol and csa issues from his past that he didn't even know he had but i knew and i begged them to help him. They did not give a shit. He is doing better but is still completely screwed up. What happens to a kid of 18 yrs, blonde hair, blue eyes, and not bad looking, csa victim with repressed memory in prison? i am horrified at what that poor boy wwent through. If there is anything i can do to help let me know. light and luv, sis

#84685 - 11/16/06 02:43 AM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

if you took the kids out of the hard core detention centers that dont belong there you would only need one center and it would be small.i lived in the e h close detention center ,i guess there was about 80 kids in my dorm out of those 80 maybe 5 or 6 deserved to be there ,the others ended up there for any nunber of reasons ,some like me just fell thorugh the cracks in the system ,or did desperate things because they were in desperatye situtations,yes i stold my fosters car and i drove it 200 miles at 14 ,was it a joy ride ,something i did just to be bad ? was i just a kid that loved trouble or a kid that was so alone that even bad attention was better than no attention?i took the car because like any 14 year old i thought i could go back home to my dad i wanted to go home,even though he didnt want me and treated me like shit ,it was better than being alone. kids learn in places like that ,they learn that nothings fair ,that being honest is being weak ,and they learn if you want something you got to take it. some of them learn the real truth ,that no one is gonna come for you ,that no one cares about you ,that no one ever will .and there is no way out ,those kids end up like adam cause being dead is better than being alone

#84686 - 11/16/06 12:42 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

OK another kid took his life in a childrens home last night aged 16yo, he hung himself.
If we go back to Adam, he killed himself in a solitary cell.

Most ppl go shock horror when they read it, then just forget it happened.
I DONT, we DONT, and nothing will be done if nobody cares, but if we do, we can do something to stop it recurring.

The one thing I can tell you, is that it is worthless to approach the state, you need to approach those who are doing the sentencing, the judiciary and legal professions.

How can a doctor treat an abused kid?
What? Do the cops know!
Do social workers know what to do?
How many legal people, know what they go through?
How many judges can relate to csa?
Even psyche docs dont understand it.

The answer to all the questions equals, they dont and cannnot know.
If the Governments just turn a blind eye, then we need to wake them up.

We owe it to these kids of the future to wake these sleepers up and educate them.
I am just getting tired typing up this stuff, but theres loads more,

ste

#84687 - 11/16/06 04:41 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
sis Offline

God how sad!!! Yes, education is key!! I have often thought that i will start with the schools. The teachers see a hell of alot of our youngsters for long periods of time. They have to be taught the behavoirs to look for in csa victims and they have to be given an avenue to help them. HELLO!!!! Why do you think that an 8 yr old is beligerent, unruley, and talking about sex and killing people? Maybe there is a problem somewhere folks. people need to pay attention. We have to make them, force them to see. light and luv,sis

#84688 - 11/16/06 11:00 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Sis, its no use going in at this level, you will just make things worse.

I noted that the judiciary are the ones to approach first, because it is they who are doing the judging and not the cops.

If a child appears in Court on a charge of causing grievious harm to another, then the Court should apply for psychiatrists reports on the mental state of the kid.

OK maybe I read to much into this case, but adam was a kid who just went off the rails when his grandparents died, and for no reason just flipped.

His dad was a trucker and his mom just treated him as a son that she could not reach.

Adam in my own view must have been extremely provoked to attack this man, and there must have been only one way out when he did such a thing.

I have to be in adams mind because nobody else would be, and if it was me, I guess the situation would have been the same.

adam is right, anywhere is better than being alone, and he knows, just like my little guy,

ste

#84689 - 11/16/06 11:11 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

adam had nobody to LISTEN, someone who could just have listened could maybe save his life \:\(

maybe!

ste

#84690 - 11/17/06 12:55 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
sis Offline

Ste, if the school level is not the way to go then what? I am heartbroken at the lossed that we see everyday. i am heartbroken at my own lossed too. i feel the need to act on the behalf of the children everywhere who are just screwed by their families, and the system. I hate it!!! I know that i have some way to go in my own recovery and that right now i am pulling my own life and family back together(kids) but someday, sooner than later, i am going to really try and help. I have a few plans in that area but my plans don't help the kids who are abused at home or by someone they know. that's the way it happened to me and my male survivors. those are the kids who i really want to help. it;s like they are invisible. No one askes and they are too afraid to tell. Anyway, i really do love to here you stand up for these kids. they need people who really care!!!! light and luv, sis

#84691 - 11/17/06 06:20 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Sis, its no good just thinking you are a saviour to the children, and even we can get it so wrong if we lose control.

Its never a good idea to just do something without an expert guiding you in this.
Things have already started rolling in the UK thanks to Kirk.

It is best to write stuff down and go over it from all angles, and it has to be to the point.
A truthful informative approach is the best way to go.

If it is totally true and non judgemental, then nobody can trash it, that is why stuff takes me ages to get together, because I am constantly thinking about the problem,

ste

#84693 - 11/21/06 12:53 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
sis Offline

Ste
You are right about the aproach of being objective and not subjective. I have on many occasions blown my cool with my own family about this matter. just like a hurt little kid. It got me no where, other than them justifying their denial and refusal to deal me because of my outbursts. The perp all the while in the back round drinking his coffee out by the pool, just listening to my broken family fight. I havn't had an emotional outburst in a while. I know that if i am ever to be taken seriously that i hve to handle things just as you say. I am working on that composure. The perps are smart, the system is in denial, and i can see now that this is something that needs careful consideration. Expert guidance would be a plus. just where do you find such guidance? i get alot of my guidance through meditation and for the last few years everything that i have needed in my life has just been there without too much effort on my part. I suppose that when it is time to make a move on my part the right people or person will be put in my path. I don't want to be one of these people to talk about all the injustices done to our children and who does nothing. But i also don't want to be a hot head and undue any of the progress that is already taking place. As my step dad has done for years " yep, just look at her, she's crazy, how can you believe a word anyone sais who acts like her" Anyway, i don't have a need to think of myself as a savior of the children as a matter of fact if i could do anything, even pushing paper and pen, doing resaearch, whatevver ? then i would feel as if i am helping the problem. thanks again for the insite. light and luv,sis

#84694 - 11/21/06 01:05 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
sis Offline

jacobk,
yes, very sad that we/ society has let this BS get so out of hand. And just as troubling is the fact that it has to be brought up as an issue. Thinking that it just goes away, brushing it under the rug, and punishing the kids for thier coping behavoirs is not the answer either. Why are people so stupid? or are they? Maybe alot of the ones in charge here are victims themselves or perps, what ever is ging on has to be stopped. light and luv,sis

#84695 - 11/22/06 11:17 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

God sure works in mysterious ways.
The UK is starting to look at why kids are locked up instead of being treated by professionals.

It may sound mad, but why did they not think of that! Why? Could they let a child die for nothing.

If we can save one kids life its worth all the money we can have,

ste

#84696 - 11/23/06 02:18 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
sis Offline

Yes one child's life is worth all the money we have.
I don't know that the US is thinking along these lines but i would like to find out. I know of 2 kids who did 60,000.00 dallars worth of damage to a nieghbors house. ages 6 and 11, brothers. all the press could say is that they couldn't believe that 2 children could do so much damage. Not once did they mention what was happening to the children to make them behave that way or psych. evals or anything. Are these going to be 2 more lost children to the system? i hope not and will keep my ears open as to what happens to them. The first thing i thought of when i saw it on the news and saw all the damage that they had done was to say " okay, there is obviously a problem here with these two kids and lets find out what, which one of the parents is the abuser? an uncle, even a mother? who is it? Find out and help the kids. My brother did stuff like that. destroy peoples property with rage and i know where he came from and what caused his hehavoir. light and luv,sis

#84697 - 11/23/06 09:25 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Sis, just a heads up on this one.
ITV news have been doing a series all week of the plight of children who are locked up with mental/emotional problems.

The Government are now stepping in with a cautionary approach to this issue.
They have promised to look swiftly into the youth justice program.

I have been working with ppl on projects that get ppl to listen, and hey, maybe its working ;\)

ste

#84698 - 11/26/06 02:26 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
sis Offline

Ste,
Right on!!! I have probably missed the series. i live in the US. Ayway i wish i could have seen that. Keep up the good work. Oh, I so hope that someone is listening. That the right person or persons will be placed in your path to help you on this spiritual endeavor. Light and luv, sis

#84699 - 11/26/06 03:23 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Sis, Adam and the other kids never died for nothing.
The news all week dedicated to others who have been held in detention with mental problems.

Eminent psyche docs telling the public just how horrific it would be for kids with problems like this! What away to kill off a young life.

There are a lot of dedicated ppl in a website, who keep the pressure up, and they have got views of prominent child psyches etc.

Whatever happens here tends to happen in the USA, and if it doesnt, you can lobby for it,

ste

#84700 - 11/26/06 05:11 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
sis Offline

Ste,
i will keep up with your posts and learn as much as i can. I am doing my recovery work and i do plan on beating this thing or atleast coming to terms with it and i am expecting healing and happiness. Who knows maybe i will lobby for it here in the US?? Only god knows what is to be. What i do know though is that love is stronger than hate and spirit is love. With enough love anything is possible. Keep up the good work. light and luv,sis

#84701 - 11/26/06 08:11 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

This is a human rights document that was put before parliament by Inquest, a group who work on behalf of these cases of death in custody.

source

Quote:
The death of Adam Rickwood—youngest child to die in custody of the State

Since Gareth's death another child has died—14 year old Adam Rickwood, the youngest death in custody ever recorded. He was found hanging in his room in Hassockfield secure training centre. His family have raised their concerns over his vulnerability and the suicide risk he posed. He had allegedly been restrained shortly before his subsequent death by hanging. The family had raised their concerns about his mental state with staff at the centre. His death raises serious concerns about what suicide prevention policies and procedures were in place in Hassockfield given the known vulnerability of the children accommodated there.

Following Adam's death there has been no comment from either the Prisons Minister or the Home Secretary. Instead the Home Office issued a statement to BBC Radio 4 stating that they will await the coroner's recommendations. This is a matter of real concern as there is likely to be considerable delay (as we set out below) between Adam's death and any inquest. (Again there are concerns about the way in which his family were treated following his death. Until INQUEST contacted the family via the Youth Justice Board they had received no information about where to go for advice and support from any of the State agencies involved.)

Call for public inquiry into the treatment of children in the criminal justice system

These two deaths make the call for a public inquiry into the treatment of children within the criminal justice system even more pressing and we would urge the committee to support such a recommendation as supported by the families of Joseph Scholes, Gareth Myatt and Adam Rickwood.

#84702 - 11/27/06 06:38 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
sis Offline

Hi ste,
I read the entire thing. It sounds like some people are doing alot of work here for justice. Are these orders that are now in place? or are they still working on them. They also mentioned kids with no history of mental disorders, in the beginning. How do they know that most of these people, especially the children, don't have mental disorders? Did any of them get psychological exams prior to incarceration? I don't remember reading about this being an issue? Csa and other traumas cause mental disorders. The cases talked about here where force " accidently Killed" That is just straight up abuse. the others talked about where the kids ( and others) took their own lives well that's neglect. But where does the psychological assessment of these people come into play? Just left wondering that's all. light and luv, sis

#84703 - 11/27/06 08:48 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Sis, I can guarantee that all these kids were not seen by psychiatrists.
They should not have to endure this method of incarcaration unless they are a danger to others.

Far better to find out why the kid is doing things than lock them away in jails.

The debate I posted is ongoing and likely to take time, however the recent exposure in the news will kick start the process needed.

They are citing serious ongoing abuses of the human rights act, and every Court, including parliament have a duty to put human rights first when dealing with issues.

It will move forward, even if it has to go to Europe to have it ratified, then Governments need to act to stop this abuse.

The lawyers, psychiatrists and barristers all give their time for nothing, in order to push this through, and they have pretty good lawyers!

Let us just hope it goes through quickly enough to protect other lives,

ste

#84704 - 11/28/06 03:44 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
sis Offline

ste,
Yes, lets hope and pray that this goes through quickly so that we can save a life or many lives. How would i go about finding out what the laws are here, in the US reguarding mandatory psych. evals for children being incarcerated? Even if a child is a danger to another it dosen't mean that they need to be put into prison so they can learn how to really be bad. A mental hospital where the child could get help. That should be the first consideration. Yes, i believe that there are some children who have very dark energy. Some that have already murdered and raped and have become perpetrators themselves who need to be incarcerated to protect the public but they are still children and we have to atleast be able to offer some sort of psych. help for them while they are incarcerated. Find out what led them to this behavior in the first place. Maybe i am a little naive but i truly believe that love can heal almost anything. thank you for keeeping me up to date. light and luv, sis

#84705 - 11/28/06 09:50 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Sis, the laws are in place, they are called the Human rights laws which were put in after the second world war.

They are there for ordinary folk to have these laws implemented through Parliament in UK, or any court herin.

If you have no satisfaction, you can appeal to the Hague, which has a superior court on human rights.

Governments try to avoid the latter, and will deal with it in their own country, as the Hague has swingeing powers over human rights law.

The US just as us, try to deny human rights, but they are basic values that must be met.
The very right to live without being abused by institution or authority.

If it is a criminal offence to abuse in society, then it is also criminal to let abuse happen in institutions of any type.

The law is generic in that we were born with these rights, and anybody can challenge a state to apply them.

Sadly the UK locks up more kids than anywhere in Europe, its sad,

ste

#84706 - 11/28/06 11:28 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood
sis Offline

ste,
i have often not felt of this plain. like i was stuck somewhere between water, air, and earth. i hope you have a sense of humor!! Don't you feel squashed stuck between such powerful forces (LOL).
i think that would describe how alot of us feel. no harm intended. i just caught myself thinking about that last night and wondered, if you have thought of that. i know this is off subject but humor me. thank you again for keeping me up to date on all this. sounds to me that you are by far pretty educated on these matters and i give kudos to you for that. somebody has to do it. light and luv, sis

#153721 - 05/01/07 01:51 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood [Re: sis]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Sis, I use these forces as fire has no place left in my life.

An inquest opened today on this boy, and his mother was there
with a load of supporters who are demanding a full inquiry
into his death.

Its not a question of if, but when an inquiry is held.
Please pray for his mother Carole, who is still so
devastated by his tragic loss,

ste

#159248 - 05/31/07 04:43 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood [Re: reality2k4]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

The coroners verdict was suicide, and he did not hold anybody responsible for his death!
What tragedy, when a young boy can commit suicide in an offenders institution, when he should never have been locked up.

The overview of his case, is that he showed emotional problems, and had contemplated suicide, he bottled a 28yo man, but he himself had no previous history of violent behaviour, he did have a history of seeking to take his own life.

You can make your own mind up, but Adam seems to have been abused or seriously hurt by this man, and abused by authority not recognizing his plight. We have already made inroads on this in the UK system, please do your bit,

ste

#159267 - 05/31/07 08:11 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood [Re: reality2k4]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Ste,

Is there any background to this story? Did I miss something here? like a link to the news story or something? \:\)

#159268 - 05/31/07 08:13 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood [Re: WalkingSouth]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

never mind! I thought this was the first post in the thread but as it turns out, it's the first one on page 2. Heck, they didn't make me a mod for nothing! (he turns red in embarrassment)

#160885 - 06/09/07 06:01 PM Re: RIP Adam Rickwood [Re: shadowkid]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Shadow,

Originally Posted By: shadowkid
some of them learn the real truth ,that no one is gonna come for you ,that no one cares about you ,that no one ever will .and there is no way out ,those kids end up like adam cause being dead is better than being alone

Your posts on the system always grieve me and send chills up and down me. But the reason is I can see you are right. I am so sorry - and angry - that you had to go through this. But thanks for being here and thanks for your courage in sharing your insights with us. I know it can't be easy.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.