Newest Members
JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish, JPmc
12437 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carperson (26), Daryoush (59), Gary31 (48), Overburdened78 (33), scaredcrappie (29), ThomasO (63), Wornoutsoul (38), WRR (34), zakwilde005 (45)
Who's Online
7 registered (Dave PNW, aniceguy, reynel5, pete1973, 3 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12437 Members
74 Forums
63847 Topics
445821 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#84651 - 05/29/02 10:31 PM Bishop's rights???????
orodo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Imladris, The Safe Haven of Ar...
http://www.portland.com/news/local/020529meeting.shtml

Wednesday, May 29, 2002

Bishops: No media at victim sessions

By GREGORY D. KESICH, Portland Press Herald Writer

Copyright 2002 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc

Maine's two Roman Catholic bishops will not take part in meetings with people who say they were sexually abused by priests if the news media are there, a spokeswoman said Tuesday.

Negotiations over ground rules for the highly publicized "listening sessions" broke down Monday after Sister Rita Mae Bissonette said Bishop Joseph Gerry and Auxiliary Bishop Michael Cote would not go forward with the meetings if they followed a format tentatively agreed to 10 days earlier.

On May 17, Bissonette, who was representing the bishops, agreed to three listening sessions with members of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests. One session was to be closed to the media for victims who did not want to tell their stories in public, but the media was to be invited to observe the other two.

On Monday, Bissonette told SNAP coordinator Cynthia Desrosiers that if the media came to the sessions, the bishops would not.

"They said they would not feel comfortable with cameras there," said Sue Bernard, spokeswoman for the diocese. "They would like to do this so progress is made. They don't want this to turn into a shouting match. They are worried that it could turn off victims and change the whole tenor of the meetings."

Desrosiers said she was frustrated by the change. "I don't feel like we are any further along than when we started," she said. "I think it's too early to say" if the differences can be resolved.

Bissonette revealed the bishops' position at a meeting Monday where she and Desrosiers were interviewing candidates for running the sessions.

All three candidates recommended that the media be excluded from the sessions, but Desrosiers said many victims think it is important for the public to see how the church responds to their charges. The victims also don't want people to think they have something to hide.

However, other victims have told Desrosiers that they also would prefer private sessions, so the group may agree to the bishops' demand, especially if church officials agree to speak to reporters after the sessions.

No dates have been set for the meetings. Both Gerry and Desrosiers will be attending the American Conference of Bishops meeting in Dallas next month, and the Maine sessions would take place after that.

Staff Writer Gregory D. Kesich can be contacted at 791-6336 or at: gkesich@pressherald.com

It is better to be Dragon Master than Dragon Slayer. Some Dragons are meant to be mastered, others meant to be slain. Odin, Great Spirit, God, grant me the wisdom to know the difference. "May the Valar guide and bless you on your path under the sky"

#84652 - 05/29/02 10:56 PM Re: Bishop's rights???????
Anonymous
Unregistered

All this crap is totally foreign to American culture. Some guy wears the cross of Jesus and fucks little boys' asses he's no pipeline to the Heavens. He's just cowardly shit. A pathetic punk. I don't know what these people are worshipping but whatever it is can suck the runny shit from my ass. Fuckin momma's boy cowards.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.