Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
alan's marc (43), Opal (59)
Who's Online
3 registered (Cthulhu, 2 invisible), 74 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62528 Topics
438168 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#84479 - 10/04/06 12:33 AM School Massacre
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Guys,

My heart is heavy tonight over that school attack in the Pennsylvania Amish country. Now it turns out that this sicko was there to sexually abuse the little girls before killing them according to the news reports I've been watching this evening.

And the sight of those little Amish boys sitting there on the curb while many of them probably had sisters inside who'd been shot and possibly killed. It really got to me.

Damn, Damn, Damn.

Time was this kind of thing was simply "the news" to me, but otherwise didn't affect me. Not any more. I don't know whether to feel happy or sad about that.

Anyhow, just wanted to get that out. I feel better. Thanks.

Lots of love,

John

#84480 - 10/04/06 01:28 AM Re: School Massacre
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Not to add to the upsetting news, but MSN just posted this addition to the unfolding story:

"WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - As Congress continued to feel the fallout from Rep. Mark Foley's resignation over a scandal with male pages, Foley's lawyer announced Tuesday that the Florida Republican had been molested by a clergyman as a teenager and that he was under the influence of alcohol when he sent lurid messages to congressional pages."

I don't know if this will feed more fuel to the fire or maybe get people to look at child sexual abuse in a different light. My guess from previous stories on the subject is that politicians will call for harsher penalties rather than look at how to make it easier for victims to disclose or (novel idea) how to prevent it in the first place.

Unfortunately, the public and political reactions to sexual abuse calls for harsher and harsher penalties rather than look at putting money and resources into prevention.

The irony is that this guy was the co-sponsor of the Adam Walsh law that got rammed through the House and Senate this summer without discussion or debate. It has a lot of repressive measures, including putting kids on Megan's Law lists.

The professional org that I belong to (Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers) has a lot of research on what works and what doesn't. They refused to listen to researchers and experienced clinicians who actually work with this population.

Sheesh!

Ken

#84481 - 10/04/06 02:48 AM Re: School Massacre
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
John,

It's especially horrifying since the Amish are a small religious minority who refuse to own weapons, fight, or even use electricity, and just want to live quietly and in peace. I used to practice my German with them whenever I was down in Lancaster County, and they were always very kind, supportive and good-humored with me - though determined to convince me that modern German was rubbish compared to their old dialect.

I share your feelings on seeing those pictures. When I see things like that I wonder if the world is going absolutely insane.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#84482 - 10/04/06 02:53 AM Re: School Massacre
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Ken,

Quote:
The professional org that I belong to (Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers) has a lot of research on what works and what doesn't. They refused to listen to researchers and experienced clinicians who actually work with this population.
My own feeling is that this Congress is far more interested in scoring political points and catering to vested interests than figuring out what works and what doesn't. Researchers in many fields have had the same experience that yours has had.

What a mess.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#84483 - 10/04/06 06:18 AM Re: School Massacre
James_dup1 Offline

Loc: Wyoming
I read this on yahoo. How much love does a man show to do this

"Dwight Lefever, a Roberts family spokesman, spoke at a community prayer service Tuesday evening and said he was at the home of Roberts' father when an Amish neighbor came to comfort the family."

For a member of the Amish comunity to come over and comfort the father of the man who just riped there lives apart. It couldn't have been easy for him to come over and show this kind of love for a fellow man.

My heart goes out to the familys of this.

James

PS....

Ken,

I wonder if them saying he was abused was more a "reason" for his actions...after abused boys grow up to be abusers, Right? (I know myth). Maybe it's get my abuse that makes me see everything as a excuse to the action. So this couldn't be his fault....after all he was abused...I heard on one of the news shows someone (dont remember his name) saying "He's not a pedofile (sp?) as far as he knows he has never had contact with any underage boys" WOW...so guess the Wikipedia defention of it doesn't fit

"Pedophilia or paedophilia (see spelling differences) is the paraphilia of being sexually attracted primarily or exclusively to prepubescent or peripubescent children. Persons with this attraction are called pedophiles."

I didn't see any place where it said a person has to perform the act to fit this. It says "attracted". Sad really, just because he's some big wig in Washington.

James

#84484 - 10/04/06 01:34 PM Re: School Massacre
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
There is nothing to add, but I hope they dont cover it up.
Things like that have happened here with Thomas Hamilton a perp who ran boys clubs.

He too killed a load of kids in school, it was covered up, google it,

ste

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.