Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cards (33), korbin2003 (39), Rosemary (53), Zebra (47)
Who's Online
2 registered (Jacob S, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63212 Topics
442011 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#84364 - 09/26/06 02:52 PM The man who molested me is staying put for now
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Fentress to remain in facility

Request to go to less-secure hospital denied

By Larry Fisher-Hertz
Poughkeepsie Journal

A former Poughkeepsie schoolteacher who killed and cannibalized a teenager in 1979 must remain in a secure mental hospital for at least two more years.

That was the gist of a decision issued Monday by state Supreme Court Judge James Catterson in the case of 64-year-old Albert Fentress, who is being held at Mid-Hudson Psychiatric Center in Goshen, Orange County.

Fentress, who was a history teacher at Poughkeepsie Middle School, admitted luring 18-year-old Paul Masters, of the Town of Poughkeepsie, into his home on Aug. 19, 1979. He then threatened Masters with a gun, tied him up in his basement and sexually mutilated him before eating some of his body parts. He then shot Masters in the head.

Fentress was found not responsible for the crime by reason of insanity and has been living in mental hospitals ever since. Under state law, he is eligible for release every two years unless a judge decides he is still dangerously mentally ill.

In a hearing before Catterson this summer in the Suffolk County Courthouse in Riverhead, attorneys for the state Attorney General's Office and Dutchess County authorities petitioned the court to keep Fentress confined at the secure hospital.

In his decision, Catterson said testimony by Dr. James Lynch, a psychiatrist called by the Dutchess County District Attorney's Office, had convinced him Fentress should not be released.

"Dr. Lynch testified that (Fentress) continues to exhibit behavior that is therapeutically dangerous and ... has a deep-seated structural abnormality that persists today," Catterson wrote in a three-page decision released Monday afternoon.

Witnesses criticized

Catterson was critical of two other psychiatrists, both employed at Mid-Hudson Psychiatric Center, who testified at the hearing this summer. The judge called the testimony of Drs. Khin Myo and Muthaiah Chandrasakara "unconvincing" and said the doctors "appeared to have been unprepared to discuss (Fentress') condition in any detail."

Catterson's ruling means Fentress will remain in the locked mental ward until at least 2008, when he again becomes eligible for release.

Fentress was housed at the Orange County facility from 1980 to 1984, when he was transferred to a less secure facility in Suffolk County.

He was returned to Mid-Hudson in 2002 after two former Poughkeepsie men testified at another hearing before Catterson that Fentress had molested them when they were children.

Catterson said the testimony indicated Fentress was not being truthful during his years of therapy because he had never revealed the incidents to his doctors.

Fentress' attorney, Kim Darrow of Mental Hygiene Legal Services, contended his client had not exhibited any symptoms of mental illness for many years and was no longer a danger to the community.

Dutchess County Senior Assistant District Attorney Edward McLoughlin, who called Dr. Lynch to testify at this summer's hearing, said he was pleased with Catterson's decision.

"Our position has always been that Mr. Fentress' mental issues are so severe and unexplained that it's unsafe for any community to have him released before we know the depths of his mental issues and depravity," McLoughlin said.

Larry Fisher-Hertz can be reached at lhertz@poughkeepsiejournal.com

If you click the link above you can see a picture of the man... If you click the link below you can see Pravda's version of the article and their picture ... which is not exactly accurate... I suppose a trigger warning should be issued for that one.

U.S. teacher who killed, ate teen must remain in high-security mental ward

Thanks for the support gang.

#84365 - 09/26/06 03:04 PM Re: The man who molested me is staying put for now
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
I'm sorry you have to go through this every two years, but I'm very glad that he's staying put.

I clicked on the link to see what this monster looks like, and you know what? He looks like any other guy you'd see walking down the street. Probably someone you'd even smile at and say hi to as you passed by.

I realized that you can't look at a person and know what they are when I read a book about Ted Bundy 20+ years ago. It had a picture of him on the back jacket and underneath, it simply said, "What does a serial killer look like?" The terrifying answer is that no one has any idea. The monsters among us look just like us.

ROCK ON........Trish

#84366 - 09/26/06 05:11 PM Re: The man who molested me is staying put for now
Thad Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oakland, CA
right on, Curtis

while not an easy task, helping to insure that he is safely locked away has got to be empowering to you the adult and to your child inside....

take care, my friend

...T

#84367 - 09/26/06 06:15 PM Re: The man who molested me is staying put for now
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
He will never get out, and BTW the picture makes him look like any other guy.

Let him rot in Hell, because he has that to come,

ste

#84368 - 09/26/06 06:31 PM Re: The man who molested me is staying put for now
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Curtis,

Again, well done for all your efforts past and present. But I just can't believe this has to be repeated every two years!

I checked out the pic in Pravda. Possibly triggering, but definitely comical; and yes, as you say, not exactly accurate. I wonder where they got that one from! \:\)

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.