Newest Members
squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms, Anony_mous
12368 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Avyi (49), cross29min (59), Dartel (50), ernie (70), flightmedic38 (40), jggab (42), kev (66)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12368 Members
74 Forums
63565 Topics
444117 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#84252 - 08/18/06 09:09 AM Abuse inquiry defended; child later died!
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
*************Triggers***************

CPS: Social workers acted quickly but did not find enough for a removal petition, an official says.

01:10 PM PDT on Thursday, August 17, 2006

By SANDRA STOKLEY
The Press-Enterprise

RIVERSIDE - An Aug. 15, 2005, report of suspected child abuse against 3-year-old Michael "Mikey" Vallejo-Seiber was given the highest priority, and social workers responded within hours to check on his safety, child-welfare officials said Wednesday.

"The most important thing is, we did a lot of things right in this case," said Sharrell Blakeley, assistant director of Riverside County Child Protective Services.

"We designated (the call) in the right category, and we got out there," Blakeley said.

Two weeks after that intervention, Mikey was dead of massive internal injuries, and his mother's boyfriend was in custody, accused of inflicting a beating that led to the tot's death.

Blakeley and Cynthia Hinckley, director of the Department of Public Social Services, said they felt "absolute grief and tremendous sorrow" when they heard about the boy's death but stressed that the agency had done all it could to help the boy.

"When our staff responds, they are looking at one particular point in time of a child's life," Hinckley said. "We can't predict what the conditions in the home will be after we leave. We wish we could."

On Tuesday, doctors at Inland Empire Children's Medical Group in Riverside expressed frustration that Child Protective Services did not do more to protect the boy after Mikey's pediatrician reported that she had seen a suspicious bruise.

A Riverside County Superior Court judge ruled this week that there is enough evidence to try Inland-area rapper Alex Kermith Mendoza on a charge of first-degree murder with a special circumstance of torture and assault on a child resulting in great bodily injury or death.

Mendoza's roommate, Richard Daniel Cox, is charged with assault on a child resulting in great bodily injury or death.

Mendoza, 27, and Cox, 20, both have pleaded not guilty.

Mikey's mother, 23-year-old Pamela Seiber, pleaded guilty in May to child endangerment in connection with the case, and she was sentenced Monday to six years in state prison.

Blakeley said that hours after the Aug. 15, 2005, report came into the call center, social workers made two visits to Seiber's Riverside home but found no one there. They left a card.

Seiber made contact the next day, and social workers visited the home. They physically examined the boy, checked the condition of the home, looked to see whether there was food in the refrigerator and talked to Seiber.

Seiber told the social workers that Mikey had injured himself when he tripped and hit the corner of the kitchen counter.

"Based on those facts, the workers concluded we could not support a petition to remove the child from the home," Blakeley said.

She said she did not know whether the social workers interviewed any other family members.

And while it is standard policy to interview a child separately when a parent is suspected of abuse, Blakeley said she did not know whether Mikey was ever questioned alone.

Hinckley said that after the agency received word that Mikey had been admitted Aug. 28 to Riverside Community Hospital in grave condition and was not expected to live, a "critical incident review" was initiated.

A critical-incident review examines the agency's response and can lead to disciplinary action, policy changes or additional training for personnel, Hinckley said.

She declined to say whether the social workers assigned to Mikey's case were disciplined, citing personnel issues.

#84253 - 08/18/06 10:13 AM Re: Abuse inquiry defended; child later died!
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
it's so unbelievable to me

the standrard that people are being held to

to start an interview - saying there's an upside to this - 'that we did the right things'

is sick at best -

i feel - that common culture in LA and California now from what i've heard is that "people are not perfect'

clearly has ever been since Adam and Eve - no?

but to embrace the standard of those who can't be themselves and still be non self controlled to murder a three year old and be like -
oh well it happens -

is just clearly - how bad things in the US have gotten -

the standards in the US are really rock bottom - money is king and god -

that's all they have no quality of life -
unless you purhcase it -

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#84254 - 08/18/06 10:15 AM Re: Abuse inquiry defended; child later died!
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
just dissapointing -

i have no idea - why standards were taken away

even the 10- commandments are considered 'offensive' in the court room?

the first laws of our culture?

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#84255 - 08/19/06 08:54 PM Re: Abuse inquiry defended; child later died!
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
I read somewhere about what went on with kids in Utah, this year alone, and would not link it to here.

They called them "Little Martyrs", a fitting de>

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.