Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
clutzygurl (22), dun (50), Gene (50), ufp1964 (50), Zoot (68)
Who's Online
3 registered (Obi, tbkkfile, 1 invisible), 18 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63355 Topics
443010 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#84225 - 08/16/06 05:15 PM Future Criminals!
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Stop the World I wanna get off.
How can this happen is society?

Merseyside schoolchildren are being fingerprinted
Aug 16 2006

By Jessica Shaughnessy Daily Post Staff

SCHOOLCHILDREN across Merseyside are being fingerprinted in the classroom, it was claimed last night.

Five schools in Liverpool, Knowsley, St Helens and Warrington are said to be among hundreds in the country to use a new biometric system.

The Government says the method is mainly used for accessing school libraries, but critics last night described it as a "big brother system".

Campaigners are demanding the system be banned after reports of children being fingerprinted without parental consent.

The leavethemchildren alone.com website lists 200 schools where the system is in use, including St Anne's Church of England Primary School in Old Swan and Archbishop Beck Roman Catholic Secondary School in Walton.

It says fingerprints are also being taken at Bowring Comprehensive School in Huyton, Sutton High Sports College in St Helens and Great Sankey County High School in Warrington.

Dr John ******* for the North West, said he fears children's prints are being taken without their parents' knowledge.

He added: "Almost 30 schools in the North West are known to have fingerprinted their pupils.

"I want to know why it is being done, how widespread it is and whether it is being carried out at the behest of the local education authority.

"Most important of all, I want to know if schools are seeking the consent of parents before carrying out such actions.

"We really have reached a pitiful level in this country when we are fingerprinting children at primary schools and keeping their parents in the dark".
The listed Merseyside schools were unavailable for comment last night as they had closed for the summer holidays.

Though the two Liverpool schools are run by the Catholic Church and the Church of England, a spokesman for Liverpool City Council said fingerprinting was "not something the authority would encourage".

Executive member for education Cllr Paul Clein said the system was "frightening".

He continued: "If the system was proposed for Liverpool council schools, I would not support it.

"It's unnecessary. "Fingerprinting children will give them the impression they are under suspicion, as they so often are these days. They are increasingly treated as potential criminals.

"This country already has the biggest DNA database. There is already enough information about people without this."

BTW They can lift your DNA from anything you touch

A spokeswoman for the Department for Education and Schools said: "It's mainly an issue for local authorities.

A lot of people are doing it to access libraries, others are using it for canteens and registration purposes.

"It's up to the individual schools what they use it for.

"Also they have responsibility for informing parents and getting consent, unless they consider a child mature enough to decide for themselves."

Earlier this year, the Home Office began fingerprinting five-year-old asylum seekers at centres in Liverpool and Croydon.

The initiative began following concerns that children were being registered by several families in order to claim more benefits.

#84226 - 08/16/06 05:25 PM Re: Future Criminals!
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Ste,

I hope parents will stand firm against this. It's simply not on for a local authority to tell its schools to collect personal information like this. Apart from the issue of parental permission, this kind of thing is NOT within the authority of local councils.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#84227 - 08/16/06 06:47 PM Re: Future Criminals!
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
Personally I don't see the issue with fingerprinting. I've been fingerprinted for any number of things and I don't really see it as an invasion of my privacy.

The thing with the kids is a bit out of line, but I don't have an issue with fingerprinting adults for identification or access control, especially if it protects against identity theft.

- Mel Brooks

#84228 - 08/16/06 08:20 PM Re: Future Criminals!
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I do have an issue, notice it is a Government initiative not chosen by the schools.
They are using kids as Guinea pigs for new biometric type cards.

When I worked for the Government, I used a datacomputer which was linked to a massive database, I was only using a small part of it, but a colleague told me, it is surprising the data the Government holds on us.

He had been on a tour of this DB, and was told this information, not forgetting that the police use the same system as we did, as do other organisations.

We are already bar coded by our own DNA, so is the capture of DNA something more sinister than they say, of course it is, its nothing short of a dictatorship like that of Hitler.

In Singapore they have a system where they know where each citizen is at any time, what they buy and anything else they want to know.

Is this the future that kids have to look forward to, and dont forget they have already started cloning monsters from animals. How immoral is that! Hybrid crops that do not seed etc.

If I was a parent and knew this went on the shit would fly believe me it would. You can just see the little kids thinking its another game, but no, its Government intervention again.

Dont think of now, think of the future if there is one, and I would not want to be a kid in this age, no way,

ste

#84229 - 08/17/06 03:20 AM Re: Future Criminals!
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
There is no such thing as privacy. Just by living your life, you spew vast amounts of information about yourself and your habits into the public domain. If someone wants to learn about you, they just need to wait until garbage day and then grab your garbage...it will tell them everything they need or want to know about you. Ask a private detective how much information you can gain just by watching a person run their errands for a day.

And if you think governments have too much personal information on file, then you have never worked in the insurance industry. ;\)

- Mel Brooks

#84230 - 08/17/06 07:50 PM Re: Future Criminals!
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I keep telling ppl in here to not use toolbars etc. They send information to promotion companies about your lifetstyle.

I run adaware because malware in on your computer even if you dont know it, and every time you reboot these little spies send out messages using your bandwidth, so it slows your computer.

I never fill in questionnaires, because they are just out to make money out of your personal details.

In my country, a 14yo boy had his DNA taken, even though they never charged him, they refused to remove it from the database.
What sort of message does that give to him and other young people!

They even want to know the sex lives of children form their docs.
Now they are looking for further powers so they can judge the public with harsh laws.

One day it will backfire on the cops,

ste

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.