Newest Members
beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1, AustinChemist, wild_turky
12276 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4113 (60), Andre M, (36), catchup22 (62), jim OCA 7 (57), sidhearthur (55), SkyClad (65)
Who's Online
2 registered (tbkkfile, 1 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12276 Members
73 Forums
63167 Topics
441715 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#84075 - 07/18/06 05:34 PM Prisons Full !
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Prisons Full !
Tuesday 18th July 2006.

A convicted paedophile walked free from court because a judge who wanted to lock him up was told all the local prisons were full.

Robert Wilby, 61, was found guilty of five counts of indecency with a child and two of indecent assault at Liverpool Crown Court last week, and is due to be sentenced today.

Granting Wilby bail until today’s hearing, the judge voiced his frustration, saying: "The prisons are full. That is the state of our prison system in this country. It is quite ridiculous."

#84076 - 07/19/06 12:02 PM Re: Prisons Full !
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
News

Judge set sex attacker freeJul 19 2006

By Julia Nason, Midweek Visiter

FAMILIES have told the Midweek Visiter they are livid after a judge returned a convicted paedophile to the Southport community saying it was 'impractical' to send him to prison.

Bob Wilby, 61, was found guilty of seven sex offences against an 11-year-old girlon Friday at Liverpool Crown Court. But as the jury failed to reach verdicts on six other similar charges, he could not be sentenced until Monday.

Judge Sean Duncan was told that nearby prisons were full and the nearest prison with a free cell was in Doncaster, more than 100 miles away.

After deciding it was 'impractical' to send the sex attacker to Doncaster, Judge Duncan released Wilby to spend the weekend at his Norwood Road home.

Neighbouring residents reacted in fury to discover the paedophile had been returned.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

Pamela Grant, mother of a ten-year-old daughter, demanded a meeting with police officers because she was so worried.

The 45-year-old said: "I couldn't believe it when I found out. It's disgusting he was allowed out.

"I don't understand how people can be locked up for not paying council tax but dangerous sex offenders are let back out. Why couldn't he stay in a police cell?

"Although he could never get anywhere near my daughter, he can see directly into my garden from his upstairs window.

"My daughter's friends were supposed to be coming round to play at the weekend but two of the parents cancelled it. You can't blame them but it was difficult explaining it to her."

Vigilantes targeted Wilby's home in the early hours of Monday, smashing the windows.

Wilby was convicted of committing the offences between 1977 and 1980 beginning when his victim was about 11. He accosted the girl in a doorway in Lord Street and repeated this behaviour on a number of occasions, said Anne Whyte, prosecuting.

He also managed to get her to visit his bedsit in nearby Royal Terrace where he again sexually molested her.

The girl did not tell anyone of her ordeal until she confided in a friend when she was 20.

On Monday, the CrownProsecution Service decided not to proceed further with the six outstanding charges. Wilby was remanded in custody, wherea probation report will be prepared.

Judge Sean Duncan told him: "A custodial sentence is inevitable."

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.