Judge set sex attacker freeJul 19 2006
By Julia Nason, Midweek Visiter
FAMILIES have told the Midweek Visiter they are livid after a judge returned a convicted paedophile to the Southport community saying it was 'impractical' to send him to prison.
Bob Wilby, 61, was found guilty of seven sex offences against an 11-year-old girlon Friday at Liverpool Crown Court. But as the jury failed to reach verdicts on six other similar charges, he could not be sentenced until Monday.
Judge Sean Duncan was told that nearby prisons were full and the nearest prison with a free cell was in Doncaster, more than 100 miles away.
After deciding it was 'impractical' to send the sex attacker to Doncaster, Judge Duncan released Wilby to spend the weekend at his Norwood Road home.
Neighbouring residents reacted in fury to discover the paedophile had been returned.
Pamela Grant, mother of a ten-year-old daughter, demanded a meeting with police officers because she was so worried.
The 45-year-old said: "I couldn't believe it when I found out. It's disgusting he was allowed out.
"I don't understand how people can be locked up for not paying council tax but dangerous sex offenders are let back out. Why couldn't he stay in a police cell?
"Although he could never get anywhere near my daughter, he can see directly into my garden from his upstairs window.
"My daughter's friends were supposed to be coming round to play at the weekend but two of the parents cancelled it. You can't blame them but it was difficult explaining it to her."
Vigilantes targeted Wilby's home in the early hours of Monday, smashing the windows.
Wilby was convicted of committing the offences between 1977 and 1980 beginning when his victim was about 11. He accosted the girl in a doorway in Lord Street and repeated this behaviour on a number of occasions, said Anne Whyte, prosecuting.
He also managed to get her to visit his bedsit in nearby Royal Terrace where he again sexually molested her.
The girl did not tell anyone of her ordeal until she confided in a friend when she was 20.
On Monday, the CrownProsecution Service decided not to proceed further with the six outstanding charges. Wilby was remanded in custody, wherea probation report will be prepared.
Judge Sean Duncan told him: "A custodial sentence is inevitable."
Whoever stole the Sun, put it back and we'll drop all the charges!