Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
almostdonew/life (39), barelysurviving (45), bigbob20 (69), billyp (65), Shawv (70), TheTwoOfUs (43)
Who's Online
7 registered (lapchinj, sorryson, 4 invisible), 23 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63779 Topics
445394 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#83991 - 06/27/06 09:46 PM What do you think?
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
I was watching a program today on UK TV about perps and naming them in the community.

I would like you to keep strong emotional views out of the equation, to try and find a solution to current problems countries face.

We have a sex offender register employing God knows how many people, using antiquated computer systems that cant talk to each other because of government cut backs.

You can be on an unofficial sex offender register for doing something like peeing in a park, adn the cops see you, or a young boy having sex with a young girl etc.,etc.

Statistically the register shows that there are far more offenders than the public seemed to ever realise, leading to an atmosphere that no child is safe in our land.

It makes the cops look like they are doing a grand job of detecting perps which we know they could not possibly do.

There was talk of splitting the register into another register called the sexual offended register which would be in the public domain.

It means that anybody who has facilitated sexual acts with a child would be recognizable in the area they chose to live in.

The main difference in the new proposal would mean that services would be able to monitor those who are a known risk to children and likely to reoffend, perps.

What I am trying to say is this, that the public should not know the actual residence of perps, but know that there is a risk in their area.

Sex offences are generally perceived as less than a murder here, when quite the opposite is true.
Why should we not have the identity and wherabouts of a psycho axeman out on licence until he chops someone down!

Imagine if such a register rendered one innocent person to be murdered because somebody got him mixed up, and targetted the wrong house, because nobody told the register he had moved?

Do we turn them into a leper colony?
Is it just another sickness of the mind?

Is there a real answer?

ste

#83992 - 06/28/06 01:41 AM Re: What do you think?
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
In Canada the registry is not public and it is available only to law enforcement. However, the cops can release the info at their discretion, which they sometimes do if they think the risk to the public is serious enough. Otherwise they leave the ex-cons alone, and just keep an eye out for them. Seems to work.

- Mel Brooks

#83993 - 07/06/06 03:58 PM Re: What do you think?
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
It seems to me that sex-offender information is something the police need to handle. I rather like the way Nobby says it works in Canada. Doing it otherwise just seems crazy to me - an easy invitation to vigilante justice.

The other side, though, is that this way of doing it makes it more difficult for survivors to locate and confront the abusers.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.