Newest Members
andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons
12251 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AdawgJR (28), Brian (50), hikerpark (52), Jeremy Welch (47), Logan81 (2014), Olson30 (60), Patrick7958 (56)
Who's Online
4 registered (pufferfish, HD001, 2 invisible), 51 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12251 Members
73 Forums
63105 Topics
441302 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#83915 - 06/12/06 12:11 PM An interesting article
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Time and time again we see judges making either really harsh or soft sentencing.
This report actually moves a little deeper into the reality of sex offenders.

Its a long weblog but certainly interesting to read, you can find it here.

ste

#83916 - 06/12/06 02:49 PM Re: An interesting article
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

ste,thanks for opening my eyes with this ,it is amazing that most of the posts there are against doing anything to the perps ,i could not resist posting a response there ,somebody needs to speak for the victims so i did ,i hope my response pisse them off somebody needs to wake these people up adam

#83917 - 06/12/06 03:21 PM Re: An interesting article
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Adam, you really vented there, I thought the blog was pretty even in its approach.

Its trying to get to the point that not everyone should be treated as hard as actualy abusers.
If you slap a girl of 18 on her bottom, you get put on the register, not that you are a dangerous abuser.

They just fail to catch the real perps of the world but they have statistics called sex register so ppl think they are finding perps.

As you say, we get a mandatory life sentence for being totally innocent!
I say the register is wasting money and agencies because it treats all offenders the same.

Why not spend the money finding the real perps who go unnoticed or covered up for decades.
Then the rest can go to fix survivors lives.

Forget the statistic approach and deal with the underlying problem, name and shame the perps.
Lock them up for a considerable time, because they are beyond help,

ste

#83918 - 06/12/06 05:30 PM Re: An interesting article
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
This is a great blog. In Canada the registry system is not as public as it is in the US, and it exists more as a tool for police. I know that the police will occassionally release a former SO's whereabouts, but it seems pretty rare.

I was particularly impressed by the recidivism and rehab rates, in particular the one that says that the majority of ex-cons who reoffend with a sexual offense were not initially jailed for a sex offense. The dirty little secret nobody wants to talk about is that sexual abuse is extremely common in prison. I wonder how many of these ex-cons who rape after they are released are acting out the same abuse that they received in prison. I think the justice system and the public have wilfully turned a blind eye to the systematic rape and torture of prisoners by other prisoners. The current attitude seems to be that convicts "deserve" to get raped in prison. I'm not sure how this attitude came about but it is horrifying that the system effectively condones this abuse and prison rape is seen as a part of the "punishment" that convicts must receive.

The other thing that statistic suggests is that perhaps the stats on rehab rates for sex offenders are true. And if they are true, are we doing society any good by imposing conditions on ex sex offenders that force them into a life of humiliation and shame?

It seems to me that we would be better served if governments finally addressed the issue of prison rape and if they also spent some time and energy on doing some real research into whether rehab is working for sex offenders. Unfortunately I fear that the current vigilante attitude being taken by the public, by the media, and ultimately by politicians and lawmakers, will prevent any intelligent debate on these issues.

It is all a bit depressing, since the trend over the past 100 years in criminal punishment has been towards more humane treatment of prisoners, with the ultimate result being a decrease in violent crimes in countries that have chosen to stop brutalising criminals. I know that sex crimes generate a particularly bad type of horror in people, especially when the victims are children, but I don't think we should be allowing our fear to prevent us from continuing the good work that has been done in criminal rehabilitation.

And Adam, you and I have talked about this a lot lately, and I know how you feel. I completely understand how you feel about this issue, because I used to feel the same way about it myself. I look forward to your reply, but I want to make a request. Before you reply to me, look up the John Howard Society and hear what they have to say. (http://www.johnhoward.ca/) They are not some "Free all criminals" group, they are a group of lawmakers, citizens and victims who advocate humane and just treatment for criminals. They are good people. Give them a look.

Nobby

- Mel Brooks

#83919 - 06/12/06 06:14 PM Re: An interesting article
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

will you leave your children with the rehabed perp ,.i cant say i ever would the price for finding out is too high,thanks nobs for asking my opinion we have had some very good discussions on this subject ,and i value your opinions also .got to run but thanks k?

#83920 - 06/12/06 06:47 PM Re: An interesting article
Kirk Wayne Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Shrewsbury UK
Ive just added my six penneth worth.

Kirk
"Lets grab this bull by the horns and swing it about a bit"

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.