Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (49), crackerjack (55), nursemanda25 (33)
Who's Online
2 registered (tbkkfile, journey4two), 16 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63403 Topics
443287 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#83893 - 06/06/06 02:42 PM Fentress won't get new judge to hear request
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
Most of you know my story (if you donít, click my quote below). I post all developments in hopes that other victims of Al Fentress may find their way here and perhaps find some relief and recovery.

The fact that Justice Catterson is retaining jurisdiction is good news because he is very familiar with the case and if I recall correctly has gone out of his way to educate himself about sex offenders.

Tuesday, June 6, 2006

Fentress won\'t get new judge to hear request

By Larry Fisher-Hertz
Poughkeepsie Journal

RIVERHEAD, Suffolk County ó A state Supreme Court justice has rejected a request from confessed killer and cannibal Albert Fentress to assign a new judge to decide whether Fentress should be moved to a less secure mental hospital.

Lawyers for the former Poughkeepsie Middle School history teacher filed court papers in April asking Judge James M. Catterson to recuse himself from the case.

Fentress, 65, has been confined to mental institutions since 1980, when psychiatrists determined he was insane when he sexually mutilated, cannibalized and killed 18-year-old Paul Masters of the Town of Poughkeepsie in August 1979.

Under state law, Fentress may petition the court every two years and ask to be set free or be moved to a less secure mental facility.

In 2002, Catterson or-dered Fentress transferred from King's Park Psychiatric Center in Suffolk County to a locked ward at Mid-Hudson Forensic Psychiatric Center in Orange County. Catterson did so after two witnesses testified Fentress had molested them shortly before he killed Masters. Fentress had never acknowledged the incidents during his more than 20 years of therapy.

Attorneys for Mental Hygiene Legal Services petitioned Catterson to transfer Fentress's case to an Orange County judge. They contended it would be a hardship for Fentress to remain shackled while he is transported to Catterson's courtroom in the Suffolk County Court Annex in Riverhead. They argued because Fentress' doctors and counselors are based at the Orange County hospital, it would also be more convenient for them to testify before an Orange County judge.

In a decision made public Monday, Catterson rejected those arguments and said he intended to keep the case.

"(Fentress's) argument in support of a transfer to Orange County is that he will be subject to restraint while in transit from Orange County to Suffolk County and that such restraint will have a deleterious effect upon Mr. Fentress's psychological and physical health," Catterson wrote. "(Fentress) has failed to establish that the three-hour transit time will constitute an enormous hardship..."

One of Fentress' attorneys at Mental Hygiene Legal Services, Lisa Volpe, declined Monday to comment on Catterson's decision.

Lawyers from Mental Hygiene Legal Services, the Dutchess County District Attorney's Office and the state attorney general's office are scheduled to meet with Catterson this month to determine whether Fentress will appeal Catterson's ruling or whether a date should be set for a hearing in the case.

Larry Fisher-Hertz can be reached at lhertz@poughkeepsiejournal.com

#83894 - 06/06/06 04:39 PM Re: Fentress won't get new judge to hear request
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
A three hour journey is not a hardship for what he did to that kid.
Make him walk it, shackles in place.

A history teacher who is now part of history himself.
Nah, that judge wont give him an inch,

ste

#83895 - 06/06/06 10:11 PM Re: Fentress won't get new judge to hear request
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Poor Mr. Fentress...obliged to sit in shackles for a few hours. I mean, what do they think he did? Mutilate, kill and eat some kid and abuse others?

Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#83896 - 06/07/06 10:12 PM Re: Fentress won't get new judge to hear request
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

OK, this is litte ste talking now.
I know Curtis met him face to face, and knew what he was like and all the hurt and stuff.

I dont think he should be shackled all his life, it must be some misery, and if he is so mentally ill it must be hard for him.

This is hard I know, but we are not barbarian to those who hurt us, we have to show compassion to those who hurt us, and it is mediaeval to use this form of restraint.

As long as he is in the safety of never regaining freedom then that is the main thing, but we must consider another human life, even though they have no regard for other life.

We should not demand barbarian tactics against these ppl, we should just make sure they are securely locked up and no do it again.

I realise that you guys might not agree, but it is not us to be that bad when we try and get over all our own ghosts in life.

I guess they should release his shackles now he is secure, but not ever let him be anywhere near parole, but in a safe place.

We are abusing them just as they abused us, and I guess sometimes it can be so bad.
We must show some compassion in our lives, we have already done it over and over again.

I chose to forgive my abuser, because I had to do it in case it destroy me, and I dont want to hurt, but we are stronger if we do not choose such harsh punishment.

It is punishment that he is in a secure place, and he will die knowing he has a one way trip to HELL.

Sorry, thats how I feel, PM me if you like,

ste

#83897 - 06/08/06 03:57 PM Re: Fentress won't get new judge to hear request
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
Ste,

You do not have to feel badly for being compassionate, in fact that is a very admirable position that I too try to emulate whenever I can including when it comes to Al Fentress.

I have also forgiven my offender for what he has done to me including the 23 years between the abuse and my recovery where I carried all the burdens of being a survivor. I would even sit down and talk with Fentress in his therapy sessions and help work though his issues if it would do any good but he claims he has no recollection of the abuse.

Itís public record that he spoke of walking off his minimum security psychiatric campus if he didnít gain his freedom in 2001 before anyone knew about me. He is a very proud and personable man who has a way of influencing people to look up to him and help him out, and it is also public record that people in the hospital were helping him renew his driverís license in order to keep it valid If he were to have a new judge who didnít understand all the little factors of the case Ö

I believe being transported in the shackles is standard procedure for someone in custody of that particular institution and unfortunately there is only one person responsible for the cause and effect that has led to requiring them.

Iím glad you chose to voice yourself Ste, that is an important life lesson many of us survivors struggle with. Good work.

#83898 - 06/08/06 04:14 PM Re: Fentress won't get new judge to hear request
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Curtis,

yes I forgive so have you, we have to eventually to save ourselves from all the anger and shame we carry for them.

What does he need a drivers licence for?
The next car he goes in, he will be a passenger in a wooden box.

If he is in so much denial, and loss of memory, he will never be freed, life means life for those who carry out that type of heinous act.

I am compassionate because I see so much incompassion in people of authority.
Abuse happens all the time, and it begets abuse.
What goes around comes around,

ste

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.