Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
5 registered (DougieB, Ocellaris, 3 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63370 Topics
443122 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#83759 - 04/26/06 09:49 PM Academics Defend Pedophilia
Kirk Wayne Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Shrewsbury UK
This is scary stuff especially when taken in conjunction with the NAMBLA posts on the main board. Could be triggering:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2004/9/23/94446.shtml

#83760 - 04/27/06 12:59 AM Re: Academics Defend Pedophilia
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
I would want to talk to these professors' children.

The article is actually quite good. It exposes these academics for what they are, i.e., frauds. Pedos use this pseudoscience to try to rationalise what they do, but as the article says, "real" scientists have thoroughly discredited these theories that rape doesn't harm children.

What really sickens me is when people make the argument that "Children are sexual beings, therefore, adults can have sex with them." Childrens' sexuality is for them and other children. Kids need to explore their sexuality on their own and with other kids, but any adult that entices or forces a child into sex is just exploiting and abusing that child's innocence. And that is horrifically damaging to the child.

- Mel Brooks

#83761 - 04/27/06 03:50 AM Re: Academics Defend Pedophilia
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

I sometimes wonder how these people come to the conclusion that molestation is "not harmful". Who did they ask - the child-molesting "research volunteers" who claim to have been molested as children? Oh, sure, they're not screwed up at all.

You know, it's strange - if somebody had asked me at the time of the abuse, in confidence, whether I was hurt or "damaged" by it, I would've laughed the question off. But I'm not laughing now.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#83762 - 04/27/06 02:15 PM Re: Academics Defend Pedophilia
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Being a professional academic myself, I must say that this kind of pseudo-scholarship doesn't surprise me. An immoral person doesn't morph into something else just because s/he completes a Ph.D. program and writes a thesis with lots of notes. There are also scholars out there who were idiots to begin with, or are gullible for any faddish idea that comes along, or anxious for controversy so as to become the center of attention.

The problem at this level is that genuine critical scholars will dismiss the nonsense of others in, for example, their own books or in book reviews published in professional journals. Those are read by a small academic audience, but they do serve to undermine the credibility of the nonsense at that level. But then if that same nonsense gets picked up by the press, it gains a huge publicity and what real scholarship has already said simply gets drowned in the uproar.

It really is a big problem in many fields and has been for years.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#83763 - 04/27/06 03:04 PM Re: Academics Defend Pedophilia
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
You mean there is no chaos theory? ;\)

You are right, junk science sells. I think academia has a real responsibility to be much more active in quashing pseudoscience. It doesn't advance the quest and it provides a good hiding place for charlatans and worse. Only thing pseudoscience is good for is getting movie roles for Jeff Goldblum.

- Mel Brooks

#83764 - 04/27/06 05:11 PM Re: Academics Defend Pedophilia
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Nobby,

Actually, chaos theory is very interesting and it's real science! But yes, junk science and scholarship are megabuck industries: like Dan Brown and the "Da Vinci code". Brown's ideas have been dismissed and refuted so many times by serious scholars, but so long as people keep lining up for copies the mill will keep grinding wheat into ashes.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#83765 - 04/27/06 05:18 PM Re: Academics Defend Pedophilia
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Kirk posted another topic like this, and it is in archive on this same forum.
Go back and read it, from what I remember, he even got an scholarly award.

Digging around the sewers of life, really can dredge up some sh*t.
I would rather study the chaos theory anytime ;\)
At least it is a worthwhile academic study,

ste

#83766 - 05/03/06 01:22 AM Re: Academics Defend Pedophilia
ShyBear Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The American South
NewsMax is notorious for its shoddy journalism and right wing perspective, so I'd take any "news" I found there with several grains of salt.

Frankly, I don't have enough unbiased information about UC-Santa Cruz professor Gayle Rubin to render an opinion, because right wing media outlets have a very nasty habit of quoting folk out of context in order to demonize them, especially if they have a pro-gay stance.

With that said, I also know that there are plenty of whackos in academia who are more concerned about garnering publicity than they are about the veracity of their work.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.