Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BobbyJay (53), john50049 (57), Samii (34)
Who's Online
5 registered (Jim1961, aniceguy, 3 invisible), 23 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64016 Topics
446765 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#83723 - 04/12/06 03:56 PM Judge jollily frees abuser
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
A JUDGE let a paedophile walk free after asking the parents of his seven-year-old victim to “understand” the attacker.

Judge John Walford’s decision outraged the mum and dad — and was blasted as “mad” by children’s groups last night.

And now the Attorney General is set to look at whether the sentence was unduly lenient - and could refer the case to the Court of Appeal.

Pervert Anthony Lindus, 27, carried out two sex attacks on the little girl, a distant relative.

She was left “badly affected, anxious and emotional,” Teesside Crown Court heard.

But Judge Walford described Lindus as “vulnerable” and declared that his problems would increase if he was sent to prison.

He gave him a suspended 12-month jail sentence.

And referring to the girl and her family as he spoke to Lindus, he said: “I just hope they will find it within themselves to understand your limitations and accept my conclusion that a custody setting might be in fact even more likely to produce in you a problem in the future than if you were treated within the setting of the community.”

But last night the child’s parents told how she was now terrified to go outside.

Her distraught mother, aged 24, said: “This is not justice, he should have gone to jail.”

The girl’s 41-year-old stepfather said: “The judge got it badly wrong. Any parent would understand our bitter anger and disappointment.

“Surely our little girl is the one who was vulnerable. This man exploited that and should be behind bars, not a free man.” The court heard the parents left the child and her two younger sisters with Lindus, who they trusted, while they went out to bingo.

He was found in the girl’s bedroom when the stepdad returned early. She later revealed she was also attacked 18 months before.

Lindus, of Darlington, Co Durham, admitted two counts of indecent assault.

A report on him said he was “immature” and had never had a sexual relationship. Judge Walford said he was guilty of a serious breach of trust but had no previous form.

Shy Keenan, of victims group Phoenix Survivors, said she would appeal to the Attorney General against the leniency of the sentence.

She added: “Sex offenders should be getting jail, not tea and sympathy.”

Nikki Kerr, of children’s charity Kidscape, said: “The judge acknowledged it was serious, then let him walk out. This man is a danger and was aware of what he did because he attacked her twice. The parents must be shocked the judge seems more concerned about him than their daughter.”

A Barnardo’s spokeswoman said: “The judge is wrong in asking the parents to understand his reasons for not jailing this man.

“Why should they be expected to understand?”

Judge Walford, 58, is no stranger to controversy.

Last year he deferred sentence on a serial thief so the crook could watch his favourite football team, Hartlepool, in the League One promotion playoff.

But Lord Goldsmith is set to review his decision not to jail Lindus.

A spokeswoman for the Attorney General said: "He will look at all the evidence that was put before the court

"If he decides that the sentence was below reasonable expectations he can refer the case to the Court of Appeal."

#83724 - 04/12/06 05:21 PM Re: Judge jollily frees abuser
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
The victim was seven, by the way. Exactly what are the parents supposed to "understand" at this point?

Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#83725 - 04/12/06 08:42 PM Re: Judge jollily frees abuser
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

The jolly old judge after a night on claret and fat cigars, maybe a touch of coke, decides that indecent assault is no big issue.

He let another crook off to watch football!

Parents dont have a clue how to deal with situations like this, and it will be hurt for years to come.

The best she can wish for is some expert who tells the parents "she will grow out of it".
More likely "she will try and grow with it".
Terrified to go out etc.

I am not being at all judgemental,as I do not have all of the facts, but it is saddening to think this little girl knows he has been released, so now she enters her own prison, for life.

#83726 - 04/13/06 04:06 PM Re: Judge jollily frees abuser
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

#83727 - 04/14/06 12:50 AM Re: Judge jollily frees abuser
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Again, I wonder if this has to do with new sentencing guidelines, influenced in turn by the fact that prisons in Britain are already overcrowded.

Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#83728 - 04/14/06 04:29 AM Re: Judge jollily frees abuser
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

When children are afraid to testify against their abusers, we tell them not to worry - they'll be safe because the abuser will end up in jail. I'm willing to bet that this child was told the same thing, perhaps more than once.

Now, she's surrounded by liars. Unbelievable.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#83729 - 04/14/06 08:53 AM Re: Judge jollily frees abuser
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Melliferal,

That's so true. I have talked to so many teenagers here, and a major theme among them is a distrust of adults. I wonder why that is.

Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#83730 - 04/14/06 09:33 AM Re: Judge jollily frees abuser
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Melliferal,

Larry pretty much hit on it, that judges are guided to locking up ppl they consider a danger to society.

They know the jails are bulging with so many prisoners, some have not done so much to warrant a jail sentence, but nevertheless they are part of the problem.

I am not a judge, I do not know the facts of this case, I am merely thinking what her family, and the little girl will be going through.

This must send a warning sign to those who want to disclose but now will be terrified if the abuser gets off with it, it is a common fear we all have of that happening,

ste

#83731 - 04/16/06 12:10 AM Re: Judge jollily frees abuser
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
The other night when this story was in our local paper, 'The Shropshire Star', the front page carried the admittidly dreadful story of an elderly man who was walking his dog when he threatened at knifepoint, assaulted by two young men, and the dog was stolen. It was later found dead, drowned in a ditch.

I wondered at the time which story would create the most outrage?

There is a £3,000 pound reward for the dog thieves.
Not another mention of the unbelievable sentence passed by Judge John Walford.

Somehow I knew that was coming.

Dave

#83732 - 04/17/06 01:15 PM Re: Judge jollily frees abuser
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Judge Walford said: "The seriousness of the offence is evident."

But he concluded "that a custody setting might be more likely to produce in you a problem in the future than if you were treated within the community".

One of Lindus's neighbours said: "He should be in prison. I doubt the little girl's family will be as understanding as the judge expected."

Somehow, nor do I!

Barnados said: "This sentence does not reflect the seriousness of the crime. The judge implies prison would further this man's problems, the facts are this man has a problem for which he needs treatment."

Last year Judge Walford deferred sentence on a crook, with 158 convictions, facing jail for car crime so he could watch Hartlepool FC against Cardiff in the playoffs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.