Newest Members
RepressedMem, jet_step, JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut
12468 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kinghenri (26)
Who's Online
2 registered (kcinohio, 1 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12468 Members
74 Forums
64031 Topics
446842 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#83653 - 03/09/06 11:11 PM .
jacobtk Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by jacobtk (05/17/07 01:02 PM)
Every day I die again, and again I’m reborn/Every day I have to find the courage/To walk out into the street/With arms out/Got a love you can’t defeat/Neither down nor out/There’s nothing you have that I need/I can breathe/Breathe now - U2

#83654 - 03/10/06 12:01 AM Re: 3 generations of abuse
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Jake,

The whole story is so sad, yes, and I saw one part that may be of interest to some of the guys here who have asked why family members do not act to save the kids being abused:

Quote:
In some of those cases, people simply turn a blind eye. "Sometimes a child's mother doesn't want to accept abuse has gone on, or they just don't want to believe it," he said.
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#83655 - 03/12/06 11:46 PM Re: 3 generations of abuse
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Guys,

I was a little perterbed at the implication made by one of the officials quoted in this article. I emailed the two reporters who colaborated on the article with my concerns. I have pasted that here and will add their replies if I receive any.

John

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I read your article, Code of silence hid abuse-incest case, police, with interest having been a victim of childhood sexual abuse from sources outside the home.

I'd like to take exception to a statement made by one of the individual you quoted if I may.

"Men who are abused are more likely to abuse... Strassberg said."

While that may be true, it leaves the reader with the impression that the probability of that eventuality is nearly assured. This kind of blanket statement although "sexy" from a news standpoint is irresponsible. Especially to those of us who have been through this terrible trauma in our lives and who would NEVER consider inflicting what happened to us on another human being, especially and innocent child.

I would suggest that as a reporter it may be useful for you do do a little research into the statistics on "repeating the cycle of abuse". I think you will find it much lower than your article suggests. My Psychologist did his doctoral thesis on the subject of "men who were sexually abuse as children". In that document he quoted the research which seemed to establish that the percentage of abused children who grow up to be abusers is only slightly higher than that of society in general.

I'm not asking you to make some kind of apology or print a retraction or anything like that. I'm simply suggesting that it may be of interest to readers to be educated on the actual facts while reading an article. This approach won't really take you much time and would be a responsible approach to reporting.

Another useful and responsible thing to do, perhaps as a sidebar to articles such as this, would be to include sources of help to those who are currently in abusive situations and desperately wanting a way out. These sources could be anything from your local government agencies who deal with these victims, local or national help lines, web resources such as malesurvivor.org, etc.

Thanks for listening.

John _______, recovering victim of CSA

#83656 - 03/12/06 11:51 PM Re: 3 generations of abuse
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

John,

I totally missed that tidbit! Thanks for catching it and communicating your reservations to the people who need to hear them. This is the kind of public outreach we need to see more often.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#83658 - 03/28/06 01:37 AM Re: 3 generations of abuse
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well guys, it's been a couple of weeks now and I've heard nothing. Didn't really expect to, but then I could hope.

John

#83659 - 03/28/06 02:42 AM Re: 3 generations of abuse
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

John,

The fact remains that you took up the challenge and wrote to them. It's difficult to know what impact our letters have, but I still think it's important to keep up the effort. Well done!

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.