Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
closerthenveins (26), Nvolpicelli (24), Sven (19)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 51 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63112 Topics
441358 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#83403 - 01/25/06 01:50 PM Found in resource section
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
There is a link to american boy choir.

This institution needs to be closely investigated right now.

It is alleged that one in five of the boys are being abused by other boys.

I wonder what the school curriculum really is!

Read here.

I found these links in resources section, this part may trigger some.

#83404 - 01/25/06 03:55 PM Re: Found in resource section
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Ste,

I am so glad you posted this, which concerns a school close to Princeton University, where I did my Ph.D.

There are so many outrageous aspects to this. This, for example. A mother reports that her son is being abused at the school RIGHT NOW, and the result? Take a look:

Quote:
"Rather than disciplining staff that had failed to monitor and protect my son and the students, the American Boychoir suspended him," the TImes report quotes the mother. "When we protested the two-month suspension and demanded a reason why the victim of a crime should be punished twice, we were told that his crime was that he failed to tell."
The school also claims that it cannot be sued or held accountable for abuse at the school because it is a charitable institution. Then we see this:

Quote:
In fact, lawyers for the school argue that it is not the school which is negligent for failing to oversee the safety of children in its care, but it is the children themselves who are negligent in not bringing the abuse to light. In effect, the school believes that the victim is responsible for his own abuse. (NJ Court documents filed on behalf of the American Boychoir School).
So we're back to blaming the victims. How about this:

Quote:
This callous and indifferent attitude toward alumni who suffered sexual abuse at the boychoir becomes even more extreme: this year, the American Boychoir School filed a lawsuit against a former student who alleged that he had been abused. The school is seeking a restraining order to prevent him from "disseminating" information about his abuse and about other incidents of sexual abuse which allegedly occurred at the school. They claim that his words will "undermine the reputation of the school".
So the rep of the school is more important than safety of the boys who go there.

The article ends on an ominous note:

Quote:
Our children are precious. Parents may be putting them at risk by placing them as students at institutions like the American Boychoir; our hope is that they will think long and hard about their decision. These parents might ask all the right questions of the school and their children, but the answers they are given may not be a fair measure of the truth.
The point is clearly that if you are dealing with a dishonest and irresponsible school, you cannot count on them to tell the truth about what goes on there and what is done to protect the boys who attend.

Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#83405 - 01/25/06 04:10 PM Re: Found in resource section
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Larry,

The reason I posted it, was after reading that statement.

"In fact, lawyers for the school argue that it is not the school which is negligent for failing to oversee the safety of children in its care, but it is the children themselves who are negligent in not bringing the abuse to light. In effect, the school believes that the victim is responsible for his own abuse."

Denial is massive in society, nobody cares.
Would I ever have thought that schools had a duty of care for the kids there.

OMG what next,

ste

#83406 - 01/25/06 04:14 PM Re: Found in resource section
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
The whole subject matter of the article is repulsive and the fact that the school is attempting, so far successfully, to blame the children is mind boggling.

I am happy to report though that NJ is finally getting with the program to repeal the charitable immunity laws as they apply to sexual abuse cases. I just read something in the paper about it the other day and was able to find this on-line:

Quote:
COHEN BILL MODIFYING CHARITABLE IMMUNITY ACT PASSES ASSEMBLY

(TRENTON) – The Assembly today approved legislation Assemblyman Neil M. Cohen sponsored to modify a 1958 state law that insulates charitable organizations from lawsuits arising from sexual abuse cases.

Assembly Deputy Majority Leader Neil M. Cohen said the bill (A-2512) -- also sponsored by Assemblyman Anthony Chiappone (D-Hudson) -- would lift the veil of immunity that shields religious institutions and other non-profit organizations from civil liability when their members or employees exploit their positions to molest children.

New Jersey's Charitable Immunity Act is one of only three such state laws in the country that limit civil actions against religious organizations and charitable organizations.

"This legislative initiative is aimed at providing justice for abuse victims," said Cohen (D-Union). "This is not about punishing charitable organizations; this is about protecting victims of abuse and assault, and providing access to justice."

While the bill would address concerns raised in the wake of a nationwide sexual abuse scandal involving clergy from a variety of religious institutions, it does not single out clergy; it would apply to adults involved in organizations as varied as the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, and Little League.

"When the victim is a child, there should be no sanctum of refuge -- regardless of whether the accused is a popular coach or a revered spiritual figure," said Cohen.

The bill would amend the Charitable Immunity Act to clarify that immunity provisions would no longer apply in sexual abuse cases. The act would be further amended to make it inapplicable in cases where it is alleged that the negligent hiring and supervision of an agent or servant resulted in sexual abuse being committed against a person who was a beneficiary of the organization.

"What has happened is the non-profits -- including religious institutions -- have hidden behind the legislatively created charitable immunity law in an attempt to insulate themselves and avoid accountability for the actions of their employees and members," said Cohen.

The measure passed 63-5-9. It now heads to the Senate for a concurrence vote.
This is a good bill, but what's disturbing is the vote. Who are the 5 & 9 who either voted against it or abstained. Maybe they need to be investiged themselves.

ROCK ON......Trish

#83407 - 01/25/06 04:17 PM Re: Found in resource section
delta.tetra Offline

Loc: Netherlands
There is a change in the situation since 6-01-2006, see the news ...
Quote:
Acting Gov. Richard J. Codey signed a bill yesterday that allows victims of childhood sex abuse to sue churches, schools and other nonprofit organizations for their employees' misconduct.
here...

#83408 - 01/25/06 07:43 PM Re: Found in resource section
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

That is certainly great news, though I guess it cannot be retroactive and gain justice for the abused boys at the Boychoir School. But the perps themselves can of course still be pursued, assuming they are still alive.

I am also not convinced that any law can place charitable organizations - or any organization - above the reach of the law itself. The catch is probably that for criminal prosecutions the statute of limitations has expired, so only civil redress is available, and it is civil cases that charities are protected against.

Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#83409 - 01/25/06 10:42 PM Re: Found in resource section
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I reckon that all bills passed have get out clauses for clever lawyers to exploit.
They are never drafted with the expertise of those who know what abuse really means to the child.

""Rather than disciplining staff that had failed to monitor and protect my son and the students, the American Boychoir suspended him," the TImes report quotes the mother. "When we protested the two-month suspension and demanded a reason why the victim of a crime should be punished twice, we were told that his crime was that he failed to tell."

The child can only be expected to be punished over and over again, as we have seen so often in this forum.

I guess I took enough punishment in life, but it never crossed my mind when it happened to me, that authority did not give a sh*t about my welfare, or did it?

We are seen as the ones who should be shoved under the carpet and just closed away like a leper colony, but I guess you wont catch any infection by realising the truth.

Is it any wonder that we live in a World of confusion about our past, and how society does not even give a damn.

ste

#83410 - 01/26/06 05:39 PM Re: Found in resource section
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Ste,

I thought I should let you know that as of this afternoon, the links to voices of the 60s, 70s, etc., have all disappeared. In every case the page is "temporarily unavailable".

Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#83411 - 01/26/06 06:19 PM Re: Found in resource section
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Larry,

I wonder why???

Google caches these pages, so I hope they are still available that way.
Looks like yet again, another cover up, that is why we so need to break the silence.

We need to shout until the people in charge have to listen, it is the only way to go,

ste

#83412 - 01/26/06 06:28 PM Re: Found in resource section
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Above common Law.

" The Boychoir does not dispute that uncounted numbers of children were molested and raped by school staff. The school simply disputes its obligation to take care of its students.

When asked about a situation of sexual abuse which is alleged to have occurred at the American Boychoir, the school responded, "The facts giving rise to the occurrence are neither admitted nor denied..."

Parents of children who attend the school and alumni should expect -- and be given -- straight answers by the American Boychoir. It is simply unacceptable for any institution to not address allegations of sexual abuse directly and candidly".

Abused and raped by staff!

I think at the very least the Government should have special investigators, trauma and trained therapists etc., to go in.

I hope every beast concerned is incarcerated for many years, and these kids get the help and compenation to fix their lives.

I guess NOT!

ste

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.