Newest Members
JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC
12490 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alpha (49), AYounglove10 (23), joanne (27), justme62 (52), pontifixmax (44), royjay (46), Steve S. (48)
Who's Online
6 registered (petercorbett, Obi, Sonata1, Itchy Feet, myrlin, 1 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12490 Members
74 Forums
64154 Topics
447646 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#83325 - 12/31/05 06:24 AM How naive teens can be
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Not SA related per say, but just a reminder of how naive teens can be. And this is a 16 year old. Imagine if he was 12-13.

Full story
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/30/AR2005123000109.html

Fla. Boy Coming Home After Iraq Adventure

By JASON STRAZIUSO
The Associated Press
Friday, December 30, 2005; 3:28 PM

BAGHDAD, Iraq -- A 16-year-old from Florida who traveled to Iraq on his own without telling his parents was put on a flight home Friday, the U.S. Embassy said, while warning Americans of the dangers of undertaking similar journeys. Farris Hassan, of Fort Lauderdale, had been under the care of the U.S. Embassy after being on his own in Iraq for several days.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#83326 - 01/11/06 09:47 PM Re: How naive teens can be
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
I wish I had seen this post earlier, though over the holidays I did see the story - think it made all the international wire services!

It's a good point being made here - a 16-year-old may be mature in some ways and not in others. Wouldn't that be confirmed from our own lives? It's something we need to bear in mind when teens come here. The older ones can also be very vulnerable and as much in need of support and validation as the really young kids.

My heart goes out to them all.

Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.