Newest Members
Green_Lantern, Safe11ride, WillWins, neophiliac, Jerone
12118 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
archie chisholm (61), Carlos418 (37), courtney (52), kurotake (55), lostsoul (63), Lukesgirl (28), michael banks (2014), Steffon (42)
Who's Online
6 registered (YYZGIRL, 5 invisible), 57 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12118 Members
73 Forums
62512 Topics
438095 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#83142 - 09/14/05 12:07 PM Vigilance is best defense against abuse
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
Vigilance is best defense against abuse

By Kathianne Boniello
Poughkeepsie Journal

At a community forum Tuesday, Curtis St. John, a childhood sex abuse victim, said parents must watch for predators.

Cautious parents who communicate with their kids are the best defense against sex offenders who prey on children.

"You've got to watch out for your kids. Vigilance starts at home," Curtis St. John said Tuesday at a Poughkeepsie High School community forum on sex offenders.

St. John was 10 years old when he was sexually abused in 1979 by Albert Fentress, a Poughkeepsie Middle School teacher. Months later, Fentress killed and cannibalized another young man.

"My offender would come to my house for dinner," St. John told the audience of parents and educators. "He knew my parents for years. He offered to tutor me."

Now working with an advocacy and support group for male survivors of sexual abuse, St. John said spreading the message of vigilance is vital to preventing abuse.

"Anyone that's willing to listen, I'll talk," he said.

St. John was one of nearly a dozen Dutchess County criminal justice experts at the forum. It was the third forum organized under the county's sex offender management project, a collaborative effort by Dutchess criminal justice agencies to research and employ innovative methods of managing sex offenders. The project is funded by a U.S. Department of Justice grant.

The forum quickly became a question-and-answer session, with the experts fielding questions on Megan's Law, juvenile sex offenders and how information about sex offenders is distributed to the community.

When one woman asked how sex offenders could be kept out of public schools, Senior Assistant Public Defender Nancy Garo repeated the theme of the night.

"You're much better suited, and your children are much better protected, if you teach your children how to protect themselves, and if you train teachers in your school on how to recognize the signs of abuse," she said as other panel members nodded in agreement. "You're best served with teaching your child how to be safe."

Members of the panel emphasized most offenders are known to their victims, and are either related to their victims or spend time earning the trust of the victim and/or the victim's family.

Sharon Doane, director of forensic services for Family Services Inc, treats sex offenders to prevent them from repeating their crimes.

"Sex offenders are highly organized and motivated offenders," Doane said. She said a parent who is uncomfortable with how some adults relate to the parent's child should trust their instincts.

Detective Sgt. Patrick Whelan, who oversees sex offender management for the Dutchess County Sheriff's Office, said the community needs to help law enforcement tackle the problem.

"We're counting on you to be part of our solution," he said.

Kathianne Boniello can be reached at kboniello@poughkeepsiejournal.com

On the Web

Dutchess County: http://www.co.dutchess.ny.us/soraweb/sora.aspx

Town of Poughkeepsie: http://www.townpolice.net/sexoffenderwatch.htm.

New York state: http://criminaljustice.state.ny.us/nsor/index.htm

#83143 - 09/14/05 11:20 PM Re: Vigilance is best defense against abuse
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Curtis
I admire your selfless work immensly, it can't be easy, but it must have its satisfactions.

And raising awareness is the answer to preventing more abuse.
If people, and I certainly include children, are aware of abuse they will be less frightened of telling someone when abusers strike.

Thanks Curtis, you're making a difference.

Dave

#83144 - 09/15/05 01:38 AM Re: Vigilance is best defense against abuse
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
I agree with you Dave. You won't find a more dedicated person anywhere when it comes to educating people about childhood sexual abuse.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.