Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
adam319 (46), Bellemaman (36), Bob G. (58), S D Witwicky (38)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 38 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63226 Topics
442126 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#83137 - 09/12/05 02:17 PM Don't know how to take this editorial - POSSIBLE TRIGGERS
Zipser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Connecticut
This link is to an editorial in today's Hartford Courant. I think a response is in order but I wanted to get some facts from our mods and BOD along with some feedback from survivors and such.

I'll post this on the members side as well.

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/edit...ines-editorials

Zipser

#83138 - 09/13/05 12:53 AM Re: Don't know how to take this editorial - POSSIBLE TRIGGERS
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
http://www.nspcc.org.uk/inform/Info_Briefing/PrevalenceAndIncidenceOfChildAbuse.asp

This link is to the UK's NSPCC web site, and gives some information, the second link is to their links page with a good list of international organisation that might show some statistics that can go someway to showing the increase in abuse cases being reported.

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/inform/CH_International.asp

If I find anything better I'll post it.

Dave

#83139 - 09/13/05 02:01 AM Re: Don't know how to take this editorial - POSSIBLE TRIGGERS
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
As difficult as it may be to accept the premises that the Connecticut editorial presents, they are factual.

In working with sexual abusers and survivors for more than 25 years, all I can say is that if you want to protect children, go with facts and research, rather than emotions.

We all want to keep kids safe. Making life as difficult as possible for offenders may feel good but it does not make kids safe.

There are ways to promote primary prevention (giving kids information that will help keep them from becoming victims in the first place); secondary prevention (working with those who were abused to help them from becoming dysfunctional adolescents and adults, including the minority who become sexual abusers); and tertiary prevention (helping those who were abused from abusing others through sex offense-specific treatment).

Organizations like StopItNow! also work to give family members and friends of potential abusers the information to confront and protect vulnerable children who might become victims. It also reaches out to those who are THINKING of abusing to have them talk to someone before they abuse.

As tough as it might be to get past the feelings of "kill them all" or "lock them up for life after even one offense", the reality is that we need to incorporate primary, secondary, and tertiary prevention to greatly reduce and (hopefully) eliminate sexual abuse.

Remember, harsher penalties don't necessarily work. Think about the Draconian anti-drug laws passed in NY state thirty years ago. They imposed strict, harsh penalties for even simple possession of drugs. Instead of greatly decreasing drug abuse in the state, all they did was to fill prisons with drug users with long sentences that cost taxpayers much more than treatment would have cost and ruined many lives (including the innocent families of those sentenced.)

Politicians are not necessarily the best judges of what will help social problems.

Ken

#83140 - 09/13/05 11:54 AM Re: Don't know how to take this editorial - POSSIBLE TRIGGERS
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
I have not read these articles but I can greatly agree with Ken here.
The big issue with me in my own Country UK, is that abused kids do not get professional help at source, it is up to the family to ask for it.

My own experience of this, is that it caused me so many problems that could have been avoided through early intervention.

Prevention of abuse will never happen, it will increase and not decrease, we can see this through todays World of loose moral values and greed.

The instance of one sex offender in a community who can cleverly abuse and keep kids quiet can greatly affect society, and from what I think I know is that they dont just get one, they get many.

We only have to come here and see how many guys did not report their abusers, and we can all see why they did not do it.

How many boys would want to stand in a Court and have an attorney tell them they wanted or liked it, how many would want the adult to get away with it like he stole the kids bike.

The issue is they dont, they never will, and it is only the ones who have been abused who know how deep it goes, and no, we may not stop it, we can only be aware, and warn, there is nothing else we can do.

ste

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.