A serial sex offender captured today three weeks after he disappeared on the final day of his trail at Cork Circuit Court has been remanded in custody to appear at Youghal Circuit Court.

James Lombard was caught today in Carrigaline, Co Cork, where he was caught as he walked down the street in the mid-afternoon.

Three weeks to the day of his conviction for sexually assaulting seven boys in toilets of fast food restaurants and swimming pools in Cork he was caught and arrested in Carrigaline by Detective Garda Ian Breen.

Lombard, 36, from the Blarney Street/Sunday’s Well area of Cork, looked composed at Cork District Court as Judge Tim Lucey remanded him in custody, on the application of Inspector Denis O’Shea.

Det. Garda Breen described the circumstances of Lombard’s arrest in Carrigaline.

“At around 3.20pm today, I was walking down Main Street, Carrigaline. I observed the accused walking towards me.

“I followed him with assistance of my colleagues. He informed me his name was James Lombard. I was aware of a Circuit Court warrant in existence for his arrest. I arrested him and conveyed him to Togher Garda Station. I served him with the bench warrant,” Det. Garda Breen said.

Three hours after his arrest, Judge Lucey asked the accused in Court Three at Cork District Court, “Are you James Lombard?”

Lombard, dressed in runners, blue jeans and a grey/blue fleece jacket, replied, “That is correct your honour.”

Solicitor Eddie Burke applied for free legal aid to represent the accused.

The judge assigned him after he was told that Lombard was unemployed and in receipt of social welfare.

The judge remanded Lombard in custody to Youghal Circuit Court at 12.30pm tomorrow.

Judge Sean O’Donnabhain is sitting in Youghal this week and he was the judge who presided over the case where a jury returned a unanimous guilty verdict in less than 45 minutes on each of the seven sexual assault charges against him at Cork Circuit Criminal Court.

Four of the assaults occurred at Burgerland on Patrick Street, Burger King on Patrick Street, McDonald's on Winthrop Street, the Kylemore restaurant at Merchants Quay, where each boy was fondled in a sexual manner about the genitals and buttocks.

In three cases the accused brought the boy into a cubicle and pulled down his pants and then fondled him. The fourth case was somewhat similar.

Three further offences occurred at swimming pools in Cork when boys were getting in to their togs and were about to join their parents in the pool. Lombard’s parents were in court as were the mother and father of one of the victims.