Newest Members
DT, kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS
12257 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
ByondClosedDoors (41), Dave1425 (32), DeafDavid (23), LowSky (57)
Who's Online
3 registered (don64, 2 invisible), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
63123 Topics
441418 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#82837 - 12/17/04 01:46 AM Oprah Show
James_dup1 Offline

Loc: Wyoming
Hi all I dont get here as much as I would like, been busy. But today I watched the Oprah Show she was talking about victumes of sexual abuse. I feel she really droped the ball on this one. NOT ONCE SHE SAY ANYTHING ABOUT BOYS it was all girls. Like boys are not being sexualy abused. Well I sent her an email telling how disapointed I was in her one sided report. If you would like to send her one please go to http://www.ohrah.com click on the link for show idea's and then I just click the one for show idea. She could have at least said that 1 in 6 are also abused..but nothing.

Well thank you for letting me vent. Sorry I dont get here to often.

James

#82838 - 12/17/04 01:55 AM Re: Oprah Show
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
Thank you James. The actual link is http://www.oprah.com.

It is a shame she did not even mention abuse of boys. I will be sending a comment also.

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#82839 - 12/17/04 03:17 AM Re: Oprah Show
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
I posted the following tonight:

Males are victims, too
Posted by: kensinger7
Posted on: 12/16/2004 at 9:10pm (846 of 846)

Research says that 1 in 3 females and 1 in 7 ir 8 boys are sexually abused by the time they are 18. Unfortunately, the media does not give the problem of male victimization the same attention as females.
There is a website devoted to male survivors and their loved ones at http://www.malesurvivor.org. More info on helping male survivors can be found there. Also, there is a discussion forum (bulletin board) for discussing issues of victimization and recovery.

Ken Singer, LCSW Member, Board of Directors, MaleSurvivor

#82840 - 12/17/04 03:39 AM Re: Oprah Show
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
Twice in less than three months for Oprah. Same thing happened on the October 1st show. \:\(

Time to write her again.

Edit- that was a replay of the one on October 1st.

#82841 - 12/17/04 04:26 AM Re: Oprah Show
James_dup1 Offline

Thank ya'll

#82842 - 12/17/04 10:51 PM Re: Oprah Show
Glen Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I sent an email as well. Maybe if mainstream media woke up about this problem. It would finally go away. I personally think that anybody who rapes or molests people should be executed.

#82843 - 12/18/04 12:56 AM Re: Oprah Show
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Who would be willing to go on OPRAH?

I'm surprised that we haven't been represented on that show, that we haven't been asked.

I'm sure that we could get some of our professionals to appear but who would be willing to appear from our ranks?

I think that Roland has done interviews and maybe a local interview show or two, but I don't think that he's done anything on a national scale, I'll have to ask him.

What a show that would be if we could get 20 or 30 of us to appear on that show...I believe it would have incredible impact. Any volunteers?
Just a thought.

David

#82844 - 12/18/04 02:18 AM Re: Oprah Show
James_dup1 Offline

I think it's a great idea. Expecily if we could not only get member's willing to tell there story, but to get some of the pro's we have here as well. We are lucky enough to have a list of who's who on this issue. So if it could/would happen count me in.

James

#82845 - 12/18/04 04:34 AM Re: Oprah Show
parttimecop Offline

I would be willing. I know suffering, but maybe by speaking out I could help others. I would let my shame be known.

#82846 - 12/18/04 04:38 AM Re: Oprah Show
hanginon Offline

Loc: sarasota, fl
I would be willing to appear on the show. I watched the show both times and was disappointed that no mention was made of male victims, but it was also important for me to hear much of what was said.

I will post another message on Oprah's site. I did it the first time too, but I was too emotionally overwrought to make much sense.

John

(caminante, no hay camino, se hace camino al andar...)

Antonio Machado

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.