Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MADcHATTER (54), Ready2MoveOn (44)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 37 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63789 Topics
445471 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#82780 - 10/19/04 09:17 AM Fentress victim helps others cope with sex abuse pain
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
Fentress victim helps others cope with sex abuse pain (link good for week of 10/19)

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Fentress victim helps others cope with sex abuse pain

By Larry Fisher-Hertz
Poughkeepsie Journal

Curtis St. John knows the shame of being sexually abused. It happened to him when he was 10 years old when a friend of the family, a Poughkeepsie school teacher named Albert Fentress, abused St. John in spring 1979 -- weeks before Fentress killed and cannibalized a Town of Poughkeepsie teenager.

It took St. John 23 years before he spoke publicly about what Fentress had done to him. He came forward because a hearing was being conducted in Suffolk County to determine whether Fentress should be released from a mental hospital there. St. John's testimony helped convince a judge to keep Fentress confined.

This week, St. John will return to Poughkeepsie to urge other victims of sexual abuse, especially male victims, to talk about what happened to them.

St. John serves on a panel of sex abuse victims who are helping experts in the field find better ways to deal with the victims of sex abuse and with the offenders themselves. That effort will continue Thursday night when Dutchess County Legislator Robert Rolison hosts a forum on the subject at Spackenkill High School. The meeting will start at 7 p.m.

St. John said he hoped by being there, he could encourage victims to confront what happened to them. He said his experience in that Suffolk County courtroom had convinced him the pain of keeping his secret was much greater than the pain of sharing it.

''My message to sex abuse victims is simple,'' he said. ''You are not alone.''

#82781 - 10/19/04 06:01 PM Re: Fentress victim helps others cope with sex abuse pain
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
Good going Curtis, a.k.a. Roland.

I for one am proud to have met you.

#82782 - 10/20/04 02:59 PM Re: Fentress victim helps others cope with sex abuse pain
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
Thanks Bill, you the Man. I can't wait to see you again!

#82783 - 10/20/04 05:17 PM Re: Fentress victim helps others cope with sex abuse pain
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Curtis you never cease to amaze me. God bless you for your actions.

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.