Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
4 registered (whiteflag, finallyhere, 2 invisible), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63412 Topics
443346 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#82654 - 07/06/04 09:34 PM Unbelieve male child abuse case in Canada
Donald D'Haene Offline

Loc: London
Here's today's story and below the column I wrote below it in response

Caged boys say abusers' penalty too light

KEVIN CONNOR, Special to The London Free Press and news services July 6/04

OSHAWA -- Two brothers at the heart of one of the worst child-abuse cases in Canadian history were visibly upset yesterday when their parents received nine-month jail sentences after torturing them for 13 years. "I don't feel (justice) has been served," said one boy, now 17, as he stood shoulder to shoulder with his 18-year-old brother. "I feel they should get more time."

The older boy agreed. "The justice system sucks," he said.

The Port Perry-area brothers, who were adopted at ages three and five in 1988 by their mother's sister and her husband, were forced to wear diapers into their teens, slept in dog cages, were beaten and locked in cribs.

They lived in such fear that they ate their own feces to hide evidence of accidents and, deprived of water, felt compelled to drink their own urine, court was told.

The teens -- who now live in different foster homes -- were happy to see each other and hugged in the Oshawa court before the sentencing.

It has been three years since the teens -- neither of whom can be identified -- were rescued from their home in a case that horrified police and child-care workers, who found them after a tip from a relative.

Both brothers still appear terrified of their abusers. Neither one was able to look at the couple who adopted them.

The boys' adoptive mother, 43, and father, 51, had pleaded guilty to charges of assault with a weapon, forcible confinement and failure to provide the necessaries of life.

Ontario Court Judge Donald Halikowski blasted the couple's "ill-informed system of discipline" as demeaning and damaging to the boys.

But Halikowski said their behaviour was "underscored by good intentions" and there was no evidence the parents were sadistic.

Rather, the judge said, they were out of their depth when it came to handling boys. The defence said the boys suffered from fetal alcohol syndrome and attention deficit disorder, diagnoses disputed by the Crown.

"There is no doubt they were difficult to raise," said Halikowski, though he added their treatment of the boys was beyond comprehension.

He sentenced the couple to nine months on each of the assault and confinement counts, and one month for the failure-to-provide charge. All the terms run concurrently. They will also be on probation for three years.

On bail since their arrest three years ago, the two didn't speak as they were handcuffed and taken into custody after sentencing.

The defence called the sentence fair and balanced and, despite the evidence, suggested the abuse was not as frequent as child-welfare officials alleged.

"To suggest, as was the theory, that this abusive conduct took place every day for 12 or 13 years was a far-fetched fantasy. That was not the reality," said lawyer Alex Sosna.

"These children were tethered, these children were abused periodically, but not systematically on a daily basis."

Disappointed Crown attorney Soula Olver, who had called for penitentiary terms of as long as eight years, refused to comment but said an appeal is being considered.

Even close relatives of the couple denounced the sentence as too light, given the judge's de>

#82656 - 07/06/04 11:00 PM Re: Unbelieve male child abuse case in Canada
Donald D'Haene Offline

Loc: London
You are right..a blond moment...when I see abuse (even though mine was sexual and other forms) I see red and my anger blurs the lines..thanks for pointing this out!

#82657 - 07/07/04 04:26 AM Re: Unbelieve male child abuse case in Canada
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
Maybe it does not belong here, but 'off topic' or 'world news' or some such thing. But I am apalled. Good intentions, not abused on a regular daily basis, no signs of sadism? What the f*ck is that judge thinking? I lived through some similarities of that in childhood. I know of other people who have had similar things happen. It is terrifying, and it is permanent scarring to the mind, if not the body. I would love to see that judge's reaction to years of torture and torment, and see if he still will feel the intentions were good. ()*()#$*#&*$&@)(#*!@)(

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#82658 - 07/12/04 02:28 PM Re: Unbelieve male child abuse case in Canada
Aden Offline

Off topic? Maybe. But my reaction is well beyond what my truck driver vocabulary can pronounce.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.