I am working with an EMDR therapist. We "installed" a quality using the EMDR I call "Drawing the line". In order to "install" this quality, I chose to emulate my behavior after Donald Rumsfeld, US Secretary of Defense. I thought I might share a few quotes from him in this forum, so you and I might see what it is that I like so much about him, and perhaps gain some insight as to why and how to be more like him in my own life. I hope you don't mind...

Arguments of convenience lack integrity and inevitably trip you up

Be precise. A lack of precision is dangerous when the margin of error is small

Be yourself. Follow your instincts. Success depends, at least in part, on the ability to "carry it off."

Beware when any idea is promoted primarily because it is "bold, exciting, innovative, and new." There are many ideas that are "bold, exciting, innovative and new," but also foolish.

Don't do or say things you would not like to see on the front page of The Washington Post.

Don't necessarily avoid sharp edges. Occasionally they are necessary to leadership

Don't speak ill of your predecessors or successors. You didn't walk in their shoes.

Don't think of yourself as indispensable or infallible. As Charles De Gaulle said, the cemeteries of the world are full of indispensable men.

If in doubt, don't. If still in doubt, do what's right.

If you are not criticized, you may not be doing much.

If you develop rules, never have more than ten.

If you try to please everybody, somebody's not going to like it.

It is easier to get into something than to get out of it.

It isn't making mistakes that's critical; it's correcting them and getting on with the principal task.

Keep your sense of humor. As General Joe Stillwell said, "The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."

Know that the amount of criticism you receive may correlate somewhat to the amount of publicity you receive.

Learn to say "I don't know." If used when appropriate, it will be often.

Look for what's missing. Many advisors can tell a President how to improve what's proposed or what's gone amiss. Few are able to see what isn't there.

Napoleon was asked, "Who do you consider to be the greatest generals?" He responded saying, "The victors."

Plan backwards as well as forward. Set objectives and trace back to see how to achieve them. You may find that no path can get you there. Plan forward to see where your steps will take you, which may not be clear or intuitive.

Prune - prune businesses, products, activities, people. Do it annually.

The way to do well is to do well.
Think ahead. Don't let day-to-day operations drive out planning.

Watch for the "not invented here" syndrome.

Donald Rumsfeld

One of my many heroes.

It is better to be Dragon Master than Dragon Slayer. Some Dragons are meant to be mastered, others meant to be slain. Odin, Great Spirit, God, grant me the wisdom to know the difference. "May the Valar guide and bless you on your path under the sky"