Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
clutzygurl (22), dun (50), Gene (50), ufp1964 (50), Zoot (68)
Who's Online
4 registered (4 invisible), 24 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63358 Topics
443034 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#78624 - 09/04/06 10:02 PM What is Spirituality?
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
To me, its nothing more than being me, the me that I was born to be.
Its nothing to do with religion, although its base is just that.

Its about paying things forward, and not letting my hurt out into my domain, so I wear a mask.
Sometimes, I think the mask is so good that nobody can know of my hurt which is my goal.

My doctor and psyche doc cannot see through it, but I told my doc to not read a book by its cover, and maybe I taught her something, I guess I did.

Spirituality, to me, is what we were born with, our basic instincts, to evolve as children who were loved and could spread that love on to others.

ste

#78625 - 10/02/06 06:01 AM Re: What is Spirituality?
newo Offline

Loc: CA, USA
I read a quote in my stack of papers the other day. (I'm swapping the contents of two rooms in our house just now.) It said "Religion is for those afraid of going to hell. Spirituality is for those who have already lived through it."

Think I'll add that to my signature line for a while.

Spirituality is Real, Authentic, Vulnerable, Honest...for God is all those things.

OKW

#78626 - 10/02/06 06:18 AM Re: What is Spirituality?
Cerritus Offline

Loc: Ohio
Quote:
]"Religion is for those afraid of going to hell. Spirituality is for those who have already lived through it."
That is so true that rings very close to home for me! I am glad you posted this newo.

#78627 - 10/02/06 09:06 AM Re: What is Spirituality?
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Newo, how true it that?

I dont fear of going to Hell, never give it a thought these days, but when I was a kid, thats all I ever thought, that God wanted me to go to hell.

How fucked up was I, back then!

Great quote,

ste

#78628 - 10/02/06 11:40 AM Re: What is Spirituality?
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Ste,

That one's a classic, that's for sure. Thanks for posting it for us here.

Fear of hell .... I remember that as a kid. And the abuser picked up on it of course. He was an elder in our church as well as a Scout leader, and as his appetite increased he told me that if I told anyone it would be so bad. No one would believe me, of course, and he was concerned for my soul too. Because if it got out what "I" (!!!!) was doing, then the session of the church would have to vote on me. He would of course try to speak up and defend me, but he didn't see how he could prevent them from voting to send me to hell when I died.

Talk about fucked up! I was petrified, and of course even more determined to keep quiet and even more dependent on the abuser - exactly as planned.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#78629 - 10/02/06 03:42 PM Re: What is Spirituality?
phoster Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ohio
until i tried to answer your question, i never realized it before, but i dont have spirituality. as i consider what that means to me, it implies some sort of mystic, unsure thing. i dont have that. all i have is reality, and God is as real to me as my heartbeat. the spirit world is simply another deminsion, for lack of a better word. it is there, we just cannot exist on that plain until after we die, and then instantly we cross over. as i consider spirituality, i dont feel that. all i have is what i know, no doubt, no fear, no worry. God just is.

#78630 - 10/02/06 09:16 PM Re: What is Spirituality?
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Is not everything mystic in society?
Spirituality is about me being me, about being with what I was born with, nothing to do with other spiritual meaning.

We were all born as little babies who were seen as nothing but good, and then bad things happen, so we toss the bad and live with Gods rules.
You too, are showing your own spirituality by being at one with God.

Spirituality is about being able to show unconditional love to those who need it.
Love to ones who would never accept it without bonding.

Its about being at one with the World, and just seeking peace and tranquility in mankind, instead of wars and angry ppl.

ste

#78631 - 10/03/06 03:39 PM Re: What is Spirituality?
phoster Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ohio
I guess spirituality to me implies room for doubt or difference. it is existing beyond this realm, somehow not real. i know God. it isnt my spirituality any more. it is reality. he is as factual as anything to me. i dont have to be spiritual. i guess it is hard to put this in words, but when i think of the word spiritual, it means something beyond reality, like a ghost or something,and i just can't think on that level any more. God just is in my life now. i know his plan, my place in it, what is going to come, and why i am here. i know what i have been shown, and there isnt any doubt or unknown there. it just is, and i am not sure why the word spirituality bothers me, it just does. when i think of saying someone is spiritual, it has all these hidden meanings for me. like this person is either beyond normal flesh, or thinking on some plain that non-spiritual men can't. i dont have the words to describe it any different. i am not spiritual. i am a man of God. i know Him, and love Him, for all he has blessed me with.

#78632 - 10/04/06 02:48 AM Re: What is Spirituality?
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

to me spirtiuality is believing in something you cant explain,believing that there are things in our lives that cant be explained away or just taken on faith ,i dont think spirituality has anything to do with god,spiritualiy is the unknown spark that makes us human . animals are just as alive as humans what makes us different from them ? is it our belief in our god ,or is it the spark that makes us question the universe around us?to me spirituality is knowing that nothing has been explained ,that life is a great mystery, and we are just along for the ride.

#78633 - 10/04/06 05:14 AM Re: What is Spirituality?
newo Offline

Loc: CA, USA
A person can "get" religion (in the same way that one can get chicken pox). It is external and sometimes forced, and contrived. It is observable.

Spirituality gets you. It is from outside (God), but explodes inside, and brings peace and joy, and self-awareness and it is real.

I'm a pastor...but I don't want to be "religious"...I want to be spiritual...connected to a God who walks with me through the dark and prickly places in life, rather that with a god who shouts at me encouragement from a crevice I cannot see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.