Newest Members
RepressedMem, jet_step, JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut
12468 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AndyP (48), Gaius (50), JoziSA (52), mmafan66 (48), nltsaved (36), RMM (52), Steve63 (51), zenboy (51)
Who's Online
1 registered (matt123), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12468 Members
74 Forums
64027 Topics
446819 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#77996 - 10/22/05 01:17 AM Views on God
ftgf Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Don't know who said it but, "If there is a God, he has a shitload of explaining to do!"

That's how I feel about spirituality right now. Hopefully, someday, I will get past this, but that day is not today.

#77997 - 10/22/05 01:51 AM Re: Views on God
Born to Resist Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southern California, USA
If God did explain it I probably wouldn't understand it. And even if I did it wouldn't take the pain away ...

#77998 - 10/22/05 02:46 AM Re: Views on God
ftgf Offline
MaleSurvivor

I can see how I could forgive whoever did this to me, like maybe if it was my mom. She was raped by her older brother when she was 12, as she told me a few years ago after years of therapy. It has by no means been smooth sailing for her since then, but she has been able to keep here ship off the rocks. Lord knows she did not asked to get raped when she was 12. Anyway, I could forgive her, if it were her.

It is hard for me to believe in God, although I really want to. The alternative is just too depressing to consider.

I do not see a way to forgive God. God killed Job's whole family. But, Job still praised God. I wonder if Job would have still praised God if he had been fucked up the ass at 9 years old?

I'm sorry. I know that is incredibly vulgar of me, but it is how I feel about it. I know I need to get past it, but it ain't happening today.

#77999 - 10/22/05 03:58 AM Re: Views on God
Born to Resist Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southern California, USA
This is a hard topic since we're all in different places about God and its a sensitve subject.

Being Catholic and going to Catholic school for 8 years I'm familar with Job and have a similar perspective to ftgf on the parable that is meant to be a test of one's faith. I also understand it's meant as a symbolic story.

The God that I know let/allowed this to happen to me. I've prayed a long time to get rid of this pain. Damn it if I'm not pissed off at times at God for having to live this way ...

Yet I still believe in God, most of all I have to believe in heaven. I have to believe that God at least protected my soul from also becoming evil from the evil acts that were done to me. That I have a chance to get rid of this pain. This pain that is a living hell. That what I have to do is strive for recovery

For me, I have to believe, cause its the only way I can keep what's left of my sanity. I have to cause its the only way I can keep up any sort of fight.

If anything I can't let evil win ... I can't let it own me.

The true enemy is evil ... and the enemy of my enemy is my ally ... while I sure don't understand or agree with God's strategy against evil ... I see him as an ally, one I often argue with, against my true enemy.

at least that's were I'm at with it now ...

#78000 - 10/22/05 05:00 AM Re: Views on God
ftgf Offline
MaleSurvivor

Born to Resist,
Thank you for that thoughtful post. It helps to make sense out of senselessness.

I use to think that the greatest part about going to heaven was that you would finally understand everything. Things would make sense.

It is so hard for me not to believe in God. But if I believe in God, it is so hard for me not to demand an explaination. I know it doesn't work that way, but it's how I feel.

Maybe someday, I can get to a better place with my faith.

Thanks again for your post. It helped.

#78001 - 10/22/05 08:06 AM Re: Views on God
ftgf Offline
MaleSurvivor

Born to Resist,
You know, you relly helped me today with my faith.

As you said "God protected my soul from also becoming evil from the evil acts that were done to me."

That's an anchor I can hold on to, as my soul did not become evil. I have never had the desire to hurt anyone, the way they hurt me. For that, I thank God.

Thank you, for helping me see it that way.

#78002 - 10/22/05 10:59 AM Re: Views on God
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
There are a lot of issues here, all of them pretty important.

One answer must be that just as God didn't commit the Holocaust or the genocide in Rwanda, he's not responsible for the abuse of children - the blame for that goes 100% to the perps who hurt us, just as the blame for other crimes falls on those who commit them.

Another thing that helps me is to look at the positive things in my life. I have lost a lot, but as Born to Resist right stresses, it is already something to be able to say that you have not succumbed to this terible evil yourself.

But there is more. I have my health (mostly) and a loving family, and I have been able to support my family doing work that I love. I have done a lot of interesting and fulfilling things in my life, and my wife and I have raised two great kids to become healthy, happy and well-adjusted adults. I have cultivated abilities in music and writing, and my troubles do not prevent me from appreciating what is beautiful and good in the world. I could do without the abuse, sure, and often I still dwell on that and have powerful feelings about it. But I still have so much to be thankful for.

I am also coming to see that although I would never wish this on my worst enemy, dealing with my past is making me a more compassionate person, someone who is more acutely atune to the suffering and pain of others. I also think I am developing a more rounded and integrated view of myself as a human being and as a man. Most of the macho and testosterone-fueled ideas that many men fall for strike me as just so much nonsense, and I feel I am the better for that. I have also made many friends among my fellow survivors here; I have a deeply personal and abiding affection for them, and our friendship is extremely important to me. And with no exception, these are guys I have never met.

ftgt, you express some angry feelings and that's okay. This is how you feel and that needs to come out; feeling we have the option of talking about it gives us some measure of control again, and we need that. Or at least I find it important. Feeling that I am still in command SOMEWHERE makes it easier to trust others and let them help me.

Forgiveness: That's the tough one, and I guess we will all differ on this. Some will say forgiveness is an integral part of the healing process, but I don't see it that way. Forgiving my perp (who's long deceased anyway) is nowhere on my list of priorities. On that one I am prepared to be selfish. I may work on that if I come to see it as somehow contributing to my healing. Otherwise, to steal your phrase: "it ain't happening". Perhaps I would feel differently had my abuser been a family member.

Take care,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#78003 - 10/22/05 10:28 PM Re: Views on God
ftgf Offline
MaleSurvivor

Larry,
As usual, very thoughtful words.

On foregiveness, I can only think of one reason to foregive your abuser. Perhaps, and only perhaps, until you foregive your abuser you are giving them power over you.

I relate it this way to my wife, who still HATES her ex-husband. I think as long as she harbors hate for him, he still has power over her. I long for the day for her when she has no feelings for him at all. then she will be free of him.

Of course, this is very easy for me to say,isn't it? My inner child can't even tell me yet who my abuser was. Probably because he knows I'm not ready, and might do something very stupid with that knowledge right now. He is smarter than me in some ways, I have come to understand. LOL

#78004 - 10/23/05 02:43 AM Re: Views on God
Andrew Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

My personal interpretation of God's intent is that he gave us the franchise to choose. Peace, Andrew

#78005 - 10/23/05 05:59 PM Re: Views on God
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
ftgf,

Very interesting take on forgiveness - I had not thought of that, but I can see the point.

You are right to respect where "Little Jeff" is allowing and not allowing you to go so far. Take his hand, let him feel safe and supported in your care, and see what he tells you further on down the road.

Take care,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#78006 - 10/30/05 04:33 AM Re: Views on God
subdeacon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Hi,
FTGF, very good thoughts on forgiveness. Our bitterness only eats ourselves up. Giving the perp power is what they wanted in the first place. Good insight! Born to resist...thanks! Andrew I agree wholeheartedly. This is a good thread. Good insights all around. For me, it's important that we know God loves us. He allows things to happen by the free will we exercise or, unfortunately, others exercised on us. In the end, it boils down to God doesn't cause bad things to happen, he permits us collectively to act as we will (and pay the consequences...and the perps will find recompense someday in some way). God wants free agents not robots. If he forced people to act we'd all be robots. That doesn't mean innocents won't get hurt, unfortunately. God also can help ease the pain and sustain us and heal us too. I'm trying every day to let God heal me. Part of the problem is that when we've been hurt by authority figures (older brothers or parents, or just an adult), it becomes hard, very hard to trust anyone who is more powerful, or an authority. Nobody fits that de>
"By way of trials and sufferings we must purify the divine image in us...for it is by reforging our senses in the furnace of our trials that we free them from defilement and assume our royal dignity. --Abba Philimon

#78007 - 11/02/05 12:17 AM Re: Views on God
Rivers Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: PA -USA
Just a couple of thoughts on forgiveness... If you have grown up in church you may tend
to "just forgive" without working through your feelings in it. I have found in my own life from all the hurt and abandonment I have tried to "just forgive" and move on, but in reality all I was doing was stuffing it inside and not really working through my feelings because the Bible says... we must forgive. I now feel that God would have us work through our feelings, own them (our feelings) and then release them.

Of course I am still working though mine \:\) with the purpose of resolution.

Regards,
Rivers

#78008 - 11/02/05 02:30 AM Re: Views on God
sonlite Offline

Loc: North Carolina
1. I had a thread going in the Male Survivor section titled "Addressing Loneliness..." and that thread drifted over to themes about God bc well my therapist mentioned that I was Lonely for a connection w/ God/Source/Universe (or whatever other terms a person chooses for 'higher power'.)

2. And my therapist suggested that when I find myself driving around alone and having "conversations" out loud in the car w/ ex-girlfriends or other people that I need to try to shift those conversations to wanting to pour my heart out towards God.

3. And that scared me and really agitated me bc I had to admit that even though I pray when I am overwhelmed, that I have major, major reservations about allowing myself to be vulnerable to 'God/Source/Universe' ... Well I have major reservations about allowing myself to be vulnerable and get close to anyone at all these days.

4. My therapist is right of course [@#$!] that I am going to continue to have trouble finding reliable connections w/ other people until I establish a sort of relationship w/ God/Source/Universe as SAFE. Rivers made a good point about working through feelings and I have just begun to untangle the mess of knots in my soul including Anger at God. "Ok God, I'm Here" I said in the car a couple of times today ... Just in a sense announcing my desire for some divine dialog.

5. So today after work I stopped off at the Library and picked up a book called "Conversations w/ God: Book 1". And I am going to go upstairs and draw a hot bath and start reading and hopefully God and I will begin to get acquainted.

#78009 - 11/02/05 06:59 AM Re: Views on God
Defiance Is Best Offline

Loc: The Moon
God isn't around to explain anything. God is dead. I shot him myself. In Reno. Just to watch him die.

#78010 - 11/03/05 12:47 AM Re: Views on God
Rivers Offline
MaleSurvivor

DIB -I am not sure which god you killed but the one I know is still here and doing fine.

I really appreciate your words philip. When you have been fed a "God" that is angry and ready to kill you and damn you to hell if you step out of line and that he is the one who did this to you... it's hard to want to find him or trust him. But when you find the one who is loving and healing and is wanting to help you through all of your abandonment and pain He can make a diffence if we give Him the opportunity.

Rivers

#78011 - 11/13/05 05:11 AM Re: Views on God
subdeacon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Thank you Rivers. I haven't been on the board much lately...I'm in Rural Pennsylvania myself, at a Seminary and am way too busy for my own good. It's beautiful here this time of year. Thanks for the kind words. Kind words sometimes are the best we can hope for at times.

I was working at a Renaissance fair, playing music as a performer. There was a little child in a stroller with his parents. He was just howling and crying for some reason. I came over to play him some music..and then I noticed that he was older than his size made him look..and then I noticed that he was "different" a little twisted in frame, not all there mentally perhaps, but in pain and agitated by the heat and the bumpy ride. I started playing music for him...just a few little chords on a guitar. His parents said, "Look he's playing just for you!" "for me?" he smiled through his tears. He then burst out laughing and had such a look of joy on his face. I saw the relief on his mother's face and his father's face as they whispered "thank you." Then they were gone. Later that night, I began to pray for that child and his family and an overwhelming grief for them came over me and an overwhelming joy and sense of gratitude for the gifts I'd been given. I cannot explain the feeling except to say I was so overwhelmed I wasn't sure I could continue living and contain that sorrow and joy, literally, for a few seconds. I came out of that with a profound sense of wonder and thanksgiving. I understood that in those few seconds of playing music, I had given the Lord a cool drink of water. In the kindness I had done for another, I had done a kindness to God...and on the other hand the recipient had been given a glimpse of God's love. I am sure it might have been the one time I had committed a completely spontaneous, completely unselfish act of love... In that one moment, so mundane, so brief, eternity had been touched. I might never have another moment like that one. By God's mercy I will have many, I hope. Why am I saying all this? Heck I don't really know...it's the thought that came to me as I was reading this thread. Maybe it's that we all have a chance to be the healing hands of God and by that we can be healed by God by those we help. To paraphrase St. Paul, you may have all the answers, you may be able to perform miracles, if you don't have love, though, you don't have anything. It is through love of others and forgiving that we are healed and heal. Sometimes we have to forget ourself to remember who we are: children of God made in his image. Maybe someday, if we love enough, we will become in his likeness as well and when others look at us, they see the perfect mirror of God. Amen...may it be so.

Now back to the homework.

Philip

"By way of trials and sufferings we must purify the divine image in us...for it is by reforging our senses in the furnace of our trials that we free them from defilement and assume our royal dignity. --Abba Philimon

#78013 - 11/15/05 05:28 AM Re: Views on God
Amunhotep-IV Offline

Loc: Deep South/USA
I have a different "take" if you will on religion. My molestor was the son of a prominant Baptist minister. I was Presbyterian at that time, if that matters anyway. To make a long story short I was never from that time comfortable with christianity. I never set foot in a church for 40+ years. Several years ago I converted to Judaism and have been happy ever since. I think I was headed to be a Jew from the first time I heard the Kol Nidre well before I was molested at age 10. I'm a "Fiesty Yid" & proud of it. And I'm back quiet.

#78014 - 11/16/05 04:31 PM Re: Views on God
Morning Star Offline

Loc: Home
WHAT DID JESUS SAY?

When he hung
on the cross,
up there
did he once say,
Why me?

Or did he say
something like,
Lord Forgive them
for they know not
what they do.

That was his
only lament.

And then
he got busy
being one
with God
that lies in you
as in me.

Why Don't People Heal, by Caroline Myss; 30 days to clean up your vibrations - Abraham-Hicks

#78015 - 11/16/05 05:32 PM Re: Views on God
Rivers Offline
MaleSurvivor

Amunhotep,

If you molester would have been a jew, would you not be uncomfortable with Judaism?

My first violater was blond, Lutheran - good church boy - but I couldn't stand blond guys for a long time and still stay clear of the Lutheran Church (the building in my home town).

I am happy that you are happy in your faith - But Christianity in it's purest form is also very fulfilling. When I say purest form I mean -You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free. A large percentage of "Christianity" is just a religion and not a true relationship with God through His Son. I find there to be a huge difference between the two. I have done both - so it's from personal experience that I share.

I appreciate your post and believe me I am not picking any arguement. I just know that from my own abuse I have strong dislikes... for instance, hunters in there hunting gear (I was violated by a hunter) - Athletic, football, baseball type (I was violated in gangs by them). So I was just wanting you to see that your distaste or uncomfortableness for Christianity could be from your abuse and not because of the Faith itself.

If I were violtated by a Christian Church leader (priest, pastor or such) I am sure I would have significant issues with "Christianity" so I am not judging you or your faith in any way... I am just giving a perspective.

Sincerely,
Rivers

#78016 - 11/17/05 09:31 AM Re: Views on God
Morning Star Offline

The River Of Dreams
- Billy Joel
In the middle of the night
I go walking in my sleep
From the mountains of faith
To a river so deep
I must be looking for something
Something sacred I lost
But the river is wide
And it's too hard to cross

And even though I know the river is wide
I walk down every evening and I stand on the shore
And try to cross to the opposite side
So I can finally find out what I've been looking for

I go walking in my sleep
Through the valley of fear
To a river so deep
And I've been searching for something
Taken out of my soul
Something I would never lose
Something somebody stole

I don't know why I go walking at night
But now I'm tired and I don't want to walk anymore
I hope it doesn't take the rest of my life
Until I find what it is that I've been looking for

I go walking in my sleep
Through the jungle of doubt
To a river so deep
I know I'm searching for something
Something so undefined
That it can only be seen
By the eyes of the blind

I'm not sure about a life after this
God knows I've never been a spiritual man
Baptized by the fire, I wade into the river
That runs to the promised land
I go walking in my sleep
Through the desert of truth
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams

Why Don't People Heal, by Caroline Myss; 30 days to clean up your vibrations - Abraham-Hicks

#78017 - 11/23/05 12:10 PM Re: Views on God
Morning Star Offline

The one thing that helped me get over my prejudices for God was the knowledge that forgiveness come easier when we realise that whatever we are going thru in life or will is all our Karma coming back to us.

The best thing we can do is to allow the experiences to pass thru and probably learn from them so that we dont go thru them again.

To rise after each fall that is what we are all here to learn. We are all here, on our way home.

#78019 - 11/23/05 04:54 PM Re: Views on God
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
I used to curse god a lot. It reached the point that I blamed him for everything wrong with my life. My prostitution, drug addiction, screwing up a career, damn near destroying my marriage and even my appearance (because I hid the body that I thought got me into trouble).

I do believe in a supreme entity. But I really believe that we suffer from benign neglect. What he/she/it has given us is the ability to make choices and then the ability to act on those choices.

So we have the ability to make the choice of being a victim/survivor add infinitem and we can make that choice reality. We can also choose to become a survivor/live life as we were meant to.

The first is relatively easy. But what do we gain from that? Abosolutely the status quo. The pain the rage the guilt the disfunctiion relationships that we have.

The second is really hard work. Is it worth it? Ask anybody who has or is travelling that road. That would include all of us here and others who are trying to do it on their own. But it is our choice.

Speaking personally I thank he/she/it for giving me these great gifts now. I also am thankful for my friends here and in my personal life and for my Wife and my daughter and my wife's family. I have a lot to be thankful for.

The SA prostitution drug addiction and career destruction happened and was cause and effect. I have changed my values and beliefs around those happenings and am doing my best to keeping them from influencing today and the future. I am happy to say, for the most part, I am successful but then I am not perfect. I do know that my life is a hell of a lot better because of the gifts I have been given.

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#78020 - 11/24/05 11:15 AM Re: Views on God
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

It is not position of me to question God. We are not equals. I am not a God, I am just me, and my brain sure can not handle such weight of such questions. To me, it is much easier to ask 'Why not' instead 'Why'. There is free will of humans. Humans are not all good. Some damage between people, persons to person, will happen. It will be to me, or to person next to me, or to other person down the road. At least to me, I can handle it and recover of it, and will not kill myself in weakness or become bad and harm another from the abuse. That is part of God also, that he make me strong enough to deal with what happen, to stop it, and to not become someone who would do such to others. I rather attempt time to try understand me, which is hard enough some times, and I just keep faith I will understand God, and my life and the world when I am meant to. I can not hurry it.

Andrei

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.