Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Daniel McKinney (35), Framery (44), JohanDoug (70), ltlkty (55)
Who's Online
5 registered (Robert Barrett, tbkkfile, lapchinj, 2 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63177 Topics
441781 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#77993 - 10/19/05 12:45 AM Suffering and misery are nothing new
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
When I read something like the following, it always helps reinforce to me that suffering and misery have always been with us and always will be until the end of time. I can relate to a lot of what Job was feeling.

Job 3:3-13

3 "Let the day perish wherein I was born, and the night which said, 'A man-child is conceived.' 4 Let that day be darkness! May God above not seek it, nor light shine upon it. 5 Let gloom and deep darkness claim it. Let clouds dwell upon it; let the blackness of the day terrify it. 6 That night--let thick darkness seize it! let it not rejoice among the days of the year, let it not come into the number of the months. 7 Yea, let that night be barren; let no joyful cry be heard in it. 8 Let those curse it who curse the day, who are skilled to rouse up Levi'athan. 9 Let the stars of its dawn be dark; let it hope for light, but have none, nor see the eyelids of the morning; 10 because it did not shut the doors of my mother's womb, nor hide trouble from my eyes. 11 "Why did I not die at birth, come forth from the womb and expire? 12 Why did the knees receive me? Or why the breasts, that I should suck? 13 For then I should have lain down and been quiet; I should have slept; then I should have been at rest"

#77994 - 10/31/05 12:44 AM Re: Suffering and misery are nothing new
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
I remember reading that one a lot ten years ago. It's one of my favorites, in a disfunctional sort of way.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#77995 - 10/31/05 02:32 PM Re: Suffering and misery are nothing new
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
This reminds me of a fantastic play written by Archibald MacLeish, entitled J.B. It's a play in verse based on the Book of Job.

Two circus barkers, Zuss (God) and Nickles (Satan), notice a wealthy banker, J.B., who attributes his prosperity to his righteousness and faith in God. Nickles claims that J.B. will curse God if his life is ruined, and the two observe as J.B.'s prosperity and family are detsroyed bit by bit. Three counsellors (History, Science and Religion) come and explain his situation in different ways, but he rejects all three of them and demands an genuine explanation from God. The barkers then come to see J.B. Zuss offers him his old life back if he will stop challenging God, and Nickles tries to tempt him to suicide. J.B. rejects both of them and leaves with his wife Sarah, determined to establish a new life together.

The play took the Pulitzer for drama in 1959. It's a really good read and very thoughtful about a lot of issues relevant to us here.

Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.