Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MADcHATTER (54), Ready2MoveOn (44)
Who's Online
3 registered (Jay1159, I Want 2 Thrive, Obi), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63791 Topics
445474 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#77950 - 09/21/05 03:31 PM Finding meaning
Steve S. Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I have been searching for my spiritual side that I have lost since my abuse by a catholic priest 10 + years ago, My thinking has evolved to believe that we all share a connected conciousness that creates the humanity we feel for others.

Any other thoughts on this issue?

#77951 - 09/21/05 07:17 PM Re: Finding meaning
ForeverFighting Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Mexico, USA
My dad was a preacher in my church while he threatened and scared me and hurt me at home. He didn't SA me. He's still a preacher. I read an article when I was in my early 20s on how people try to earn love from God because they had to earn love from their fathers. It was like a piano had been dropped on me, and I had a really rough time there for a while. I didn't want to be like my dad, so I had all these visions of horrible "sinful" things I could do, but I still had an attachment, a love for the Creator who gave us cute little birds, billions of galaxies, and a perfect world being ruined by its tenants. It was a time of really going inside. I couldn't call God "Father"--to me that was like an insult.

Over time, in my head I've been able to separate the hypocrates from the truth. A lot of good families have bad kids who end up in jail or whatever. Well, my family is made up of some of God's "bad kids", as far as I'm concerned. That doesn't change the God I feel close to. If anything, the fact the God dispises what my family did more than I do helps me feel even closer to Him.

I don't know if that helps or answers your questions. It's just how I've dealt with hypocrasy.

"This search for the truth--it's not for the faint of heart."--Goren on 'Law & Order: CI'
"The former things will not be called to mind, neither will they come up into the heart."--Isaiah 65:17

#77952 - 09/30/05 01:47 PM Re: Finding meaning
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Steve, I certainly feel and know that connectedness with the guys here...it is spiritual...it is sacred. My therapist interrupts us every so once in a while to remind us that our testimony to one another is Sacred.

And, yes, one does have to work out finding those who may have some idea of what we are doing here, on God's earth, and who it is who really cares about others, be they preacher or pray-er.

I liked the way that you put that, better than I certainly did, Forever.

David

#77953 - 09/30/05 03:36 PM Re: Finding meaning
Steve S. Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks for your feedback. I have had some time to reflect on what I am searching for. I feel that my search is to be involved in a community of people that benefits others and that I can begin to trust, share and experience a common thread.

I find that many traditional religious institutes believe that we can humanize "God" and based on my exposure to hinduism and buddism I am more apt to believe that what God is, is beyond our comprehension and understanding. I am rambling here...

I will leave this open ended ..... for further discussion.

Steve

#77954 - 10/04/05 07:12 PM Re: Finding meaning
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Steve,

A theologian friend of mine put your point to me this way: What if "God" is a verb rather than a person?"

Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#77955 - 10/04/05 10:06 PM Re: Finding meaning
puppy Offline

Loc: earth
steve,

i think the whole 'search' is a life long process. everyone has their own journey with spirituality. in the end, we all want to believe in something and feel safe and comforted by our beliefs.

i was brought up in a really catholic family and went through all the regular b.s. that goes along with it. (no offense to catholics). i came out of it all with my own ideas of what god is. i dont go to church, i dont read a book with strange little stories and arbitrary rules. not because its wrong or bad but because it doesnt apply to me at all. i have a real problem with the idea that god only looks kindly on me if i sti in a building every sunday all dressed up. whoever or whatever god is (in my opinon) wont care where i am as long as i really really believe it. i think church is just some fantastic idea people thought up to keep social order. hence marriage and commandments and so on. if everyones feeling guilty then they have no time to create chaos.

i think spirituality is a really person thing.
find whatyou feel comfortable with. find out what really really matters to you, what your core beliefs are. and it doesnt have to be written in a book and not everyone has to agree with you.

#77956 - 10/07/05 12:36 PM Re: Finding meaning
Steve S. Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hello Guys:

I like the thought of God being a verb, I believe that the bible holds many truths within it, the struggles as a society faces, however it is important to understand that it needs to but put into the context that it when it was written and the people that it was reaching. The literalness people try to extrude from its pages reads like a childs story book and in reality most people of that day and age had an IQ of a 4th grader.

So when I hear people "preaching" I hear an idiot talking (my personal opinion) to a bunch a mindless sheep. How in such a day in age can a society fall victim to such nonsense, is quite unbelieveable. We should continue to question and accept that there are no harden answers to what happens when we die and we should really focus on making ourselves every day the best possible person we can be. I feel the (god) is truly within us, the question becomes how to you exemplify this fact every waking moment of your life?

Steve

#77957 - 10/07/05 07:46 PM Re: Finding meaning
subdeacon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Since we all share the same humanity, the same nature, we all affect one another. A theologian I read once said 'we are all a part of one another.' I love that. Here are some nice quotes from the Eastern Christian perspective:

"God cannot be grasped by the mind. If He could He could be grasped, He would not be God."
--Evagrius of Pontus

"As a friend talking with his friend, man speaks with God, and drawing near in confidence he stands before the face of One who dwells in light unapproachable."
--St. Symeon the New Theologian

"Unknown and yet well known."
--2 Corinthians 6:9

and a great one on Biblical interpretation (which has literal and figurative meanings. It's not for people who are just on a 4th grade level...some great intellects have struggled with its depths):

One day some of the brethren came to see Abba Antony, and among them was Abba Joseph. Wishing to test them, the old man mentioned a text from Scripture, and starting with the youngest he asked them what it meant. Each explained as best he could. But to each one he said, "You have not found the answer." Last of all he said to Abba Joseph, "and What do you think the text means?" He replied, "I do not know." Then Abba Antony said, "Truly Abba Joseph has found the way, for he said: I do not know."
--Sayings of the Desert Fathers

Emptied of all knowledge, man is joined in the highest part of himself, not with any created thing, nor with himself, nor with another, but with the One who is altogether unknowable; and, in knowing nothing, he knows ina a manner that surpasses understanding.
--St. Dionysius the Areopagite

The most important thing that happens between God and the human soul is to love and be loved.
--Kallistos Kataphygiotis

Peace,
Philip

"By way of trials and sufferings we must purify the divine image in us...for it is by reforging our senses in the furnace of our trials that we free them from defilement and assume our royal dignity. --Abba Philimon

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.