Newest Members
andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons
12251 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AdawgJR (28), Brian (50), hikerpark (52), Jeremy Welch (47), Logan81 (2014), Olson30 (60), Patrick7958 (56)
Who's Online
2 registered (focusedbody, 1 invisible), 52 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63106 Topics
441311 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#77884 - 08/31/05 03:55 PM Buddhism Anyone?
Sinking Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Took my ball and went home.
I'm wondering if anyone here subscribes to Buddhist practice. I find a great deal of comfort in the teachings of Buddha, not unlike the teachings of Christ. Unfortunately, Christ and Christianity are too closely related to Catholicism for me since I was brought up in the Catholic church.

But it's not only that...Buddhism is much more simplified, more tolerant of other faiths and less stringent in its teachings. I like the idea of Karma and the possibility of coming back to this life. I like the idea that if I live a good life this time around then the next time will be even better.

Just thought I throw this out there and see what type, if any, responses I might get. Peace - John

#77885 - 09/02/05 09:25 PM Re: Buddhism Anyone?
The Seeker Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Sinking,

I find Buddha's teaching very profound, and I am always drawn to them. Yet, they are simple. They taught me how to just be, and a quiet mind is a wonderful thing too.

#77886 - 09/07/05 02:16 PM Re: Buddhism Anyone?
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
I'm really into it and I'm glad I found something that works for me. I like how rather then promise reward or punishment for doing “right” or “wrong”, the idea is that you will simply be a happy person if you live your life in a beneficial way.

It has really helped me throw away my anger and helped me deal with everyday issues… I can’t remember the last time I got angry.

#77887 - 09/07/05 03:49 PM Re: Buddhism Anyone?
Sinking Offline
MaleSurvivor

Seeker - A quiet mind is something I might never achieve, although I once approached it at one of the 2 or 3 Yoga classes I attended. I should go again.

Curtis - The anger thing has worked well for me too. I can't remember the last time I flipped the bird at someone in traffic \:\) And when my wife and I have a spat, I think it makes her more angry that I don't go for the bait so quickly anymore. I react much more calmly and rationally than I have in the past.

Always keeping these practices in mind though is a practice unto itself. Peace - John

#77888 - 09/08/05 09:57 PM Re: Buddhism Anyone?
The Seeker Offline

One thing I found really helpful is the Buddhist realization that all things change. I once read a piece that said that within a single second the molecular and subatomic matter of all things, including the human body is changing. Nothing lasts forever. I found this concept truly comforting in many ways - pain will not last, even when it seems so for one. For another, I am a new person whether I realize it or not, every second.

#77889 - 09/11/05 11:03 PM Re: Buddhism Anyone?
Sinking Offline
MaleSurvivor

Seeker - That has done a great deal for me too, in the sense of living more peacefully within myself. Everything is transient; material things, happiness, sadness, pain, suffering, joy, loved ones, life itself. By accepting this, and I haven't got it perfected just yet, I am able to let go of trivial things much easier now and I see things not-so-trivial as much more trivial now.

I also like the belief that every act I make effects others and how they act and on and on and on. It makes me stop and think for a minute about how to handle any given situation. Thanks for sharing. Hope your day is a good one, every day. - John

#77890 - 09/30/05 01:58 PM Re: Buddhism Anyone?
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'll take the more tolerant and peaceful parts. I guess I mean more tolerance for me, being more tolerant of me.
It's interesting that the big three, Moslem, Christian and the Jewish faiths all teach not only tolerance but love and compassion for the stranger, the traveler on the road.
We must keep our eyes open, and our hearts as well.

Positive thread, John, thank you for starting it.

David

#77891 - 10/01/05 12:03 AM Re: Buddhism Anyone?
Sinking Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi David - Funny thing I've noticed about the big three is that they seem to be less tolerant of others...not other individuals, but other faiths.

They all teach that if you do not follow their teachings you will perish in Hell (been there, done that). But Buddhist thought teaches the exact opposite. In fact, Buddhism was never intended to be a religion at all.

A book I'm reading right now is called Buddhism Without Beliefs. Basically, the author explains that Buddha found enlightenment one day and decided to show the path to enlightenment to others. And that path is really very simple.

Like the big three, the message is similar: Be a good person. Be good to yourself and others. Be good to the Earth, etc. But he never taught that if you did not follow his path you would perish in an eternal flame, only that you would not enjoy the enlightenment that he found to be so peaceful. I like that. Cuz if I believed those other guys I would be headed south immediately after my last breath. Done my time in Hell, done my time in Hell (forget what song it's from but it always hit home for me). Wishing you (and me) Peace and Enlightenment - John

#77892 - 10/03/05 09:02 PM Re: Buddhism Anyone?
The Seeker Offline

Hey John,

I think Bhuddism is special that way. I don't really consider it a religion as much as a guide to happiness during your time on Earth. I have a poster of the wheel of life in my office, and I can look at it when things get hectic and know that "this too shall pass" as all things are transient by there nature. It seems like Western religion teaches that if you are a good person, you'll go to heaven someday where Bhuddism teaches that if you are a good person you can experience heaven now in your daily life. What an idea!

So, peace and enlightenment to you as well.

Thanks,
John

#77893 - 10/04/05 01:12 AM Re: Buddhism Anyone?
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Someome brought us this to us some time ago:

"The religious worry about going to Hell,
the spiritual have already been there."

I would think that we have more spiritual guys here than we do of the religious kind.

Although, some philosophers believe that we can't have one, spiritual, without the other, the religious, for us to keep order and make sense out of the spiritual.

Do I know what I'm talking about??

I'm afraid I come down on the side of someone who is more spiritual than religious.

Again, thanks, John.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.