Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
adam319 (46), Bellemaman (36), Bob G. (58), S D Witwicky (38)
Who's Online
7 registered (86, ethereo222, pufferfish, 3 invisible), 27 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63226 Topics
442137 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#77721 - 04/20/05 03:10 PM Hopes for Benedict XVI (MAY TRIGGER!)
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
I'm not the most observant Catholic, but with the passing of John Paul II and the elevation of Cardinal Josef Ratzinger to the Papacy, I'd like to reflect on what I hope from the new pope. For those who ARE observant Catholics, I mean no herecy here. It'd be dangerous anyway, as Benedict ran the office formerly known as the Inquisition anyway.

So, what do I hope for from Ratzinger?

That at worst, he's a transitional figure that looks good in a white cassock.

That he'll be able to take the abuse scandal affecting the whole of the church more seriously.

That he'll continue the interfaith communication and healing that John Paul began so spectacularly.

That he'll go beyond the narrow view of dogma and see the Church HAS to change, grow, and evolve in order to survive.

That he'll see that celebacy is a worthy thing, but not meant for everyone entering liturgical service.

That women are as much apostolic as men.

That he'll try to cut his own figure instead of trying to match John Paul's legacy.

That covering up scandal doesn't make it go away.

That no one outside of Roman Catholic clergy speaks Latin anymore.

That the church becomes stronger instead of weaker by facing its faults and correcting them.

That, as a rabbi is quoted as saying in "Schindler's List," God may well be honored by the Piety of the orthodox, but he's also honored by the pragmatism of the flexible.

God help and bless Benedict XVI.

Peace and love,

Scot

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

#77722 - 04/21/05 02:49 PM Re: Hopes for Benedict XVI (MAY TRIGGER!)
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
Isn't this man known to be ultra Conservative? I think much on your 'wish list' will not be happening, I'm afraid.

And wasn't he one who said that the sex abuse scandal of the Catholic church in the U.S. was really just 'manipulated by the media' or some such statement? Hmmm.

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.