Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aleja (40), bc22 (47), DavidMI (40), Forrest_Gump (39), Jay1946 (68), Malc4 (29), mpm01 (49), widpaulman (43)
Who's Online
4 registered (bcl092, watzupwitu, susie, 1 invisible), 9 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63574 Topics
444163 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#77513 - 12/07/04 02:35 AM God in Therapy!
TeeJayUU Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MidWest
I just left my old T because he did not encourage me to continue my relationship with Christ while healing. He actually made me feel "dirty", he would not even shake hands with me. Maybe there were legitimate reasons not to shake hands, but, gee, what was a SA victim to feel when his own T would not touch his hands.

Today, I met with my new T. He is with a Christian Counseling group and I have already discussed this with my new T and let him know just how important keeping God in my life was, it is a MUST!

Please keep my in your thoughts and Prayers as I start this new journey and continue my healing!

God Bless and Peace!

TJ

#77514 - 12/07/04 03:51 AM Re: God in Therapy!
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey, TJ,

Having it your way is what therapy is all about.
That is to say, if you think that therapy doesn't mean much to you without your Spiritual power being part of it, then by all means seek out someone who will respect your wishes.
And yes, I am sure others will join me in wishing you well in your new therapy setting. Maybe a prayer or two, if you like.

Blessings,

David

#77515 - 12/07/04 08:14 PM Re: God in Therapy!
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
TJ, a therapist who refused to shake hands with you! Glad you got rid of him.

I am glad you found the new T and hope it works for you, I will pray that it works out. God certainly helped me all along the way, my faith got a little battered but I never stopped believing,

ste

#77516 - 12/22/04 11:55 PM Re: God in Therapy!
daniel_ Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Both times I sought out a therapist I insisted they be Christian. My faith is too big a part of me too be ignored, and many problems I had to work through had a moral/religious aspect to them. I knew only a therapist of faith would understand those problems, and would be right for me. I wanted a therapist that would steer me more towards God, not away from Him, or ignore Him.

I was surprised that there are as many resources out there to find Christian professional help as there are.

#77517 - 12/23/04 07:09 PM Re: God in Therapy!
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
My brothers I think it is a wonderful thing that you keep god with you through this shit. I am not terribly religious but I do believe in a higher power, god, he/she or it. It is how I make some sense out of things and to keep me from feeling I am part of an iteresting biological experiment that has gone terribly wrong. To have faith despite everything says a great deal about who you are.

I know it is particularly difficult for surivors of priests, church leaders, etc. but we all must have a fundamental trust in a higher power. I dont have a lot for the so called leaders of religions institutions as a group. Individually there are some great ones.

Some will say why did God let this happen.

I believe that we suffer from benign neglect. God's gift to us is to make choices and the ability to put act on those choices. Calamity I believe in our lives are a random thing. And there are a truly long list of things that can go wrong. War, disease, sexual assault/abuse, racism of any sort and so on. The strength of the individual is how he/she chooses to live as a result of these random acts.

Ithink it is a huge testimonial that there are so many of us choosing the path that can lead to living life as we were meant to and to finally say ENOUGH. This damned crime needs to be out in the open and not covered up with the attendant feelings of guilt and shame forced on us by society.

I am rambling but I really wanted to let you and others know that as the holiday season approches and for the holiday season for other brohers that are at a different time I ask you all to reflect on all the good that is in your soul/self and that whatever is to come can be truly beautiful for us.

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.