Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MADcHATTER (54), Ready2MoveOn (44)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63789 Topics
445471 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#77370 - 10/04/04 11:51 AM Re: Catholics and abuse...rejoining the church (Triggers)
FastForward Offline

Loc: US
Where do these numbers come from? Are they UK or US stats?

L&P - always.

#77371 - 10/04/04 04:17 PM Re: Catholics and abuse...rejoining the church (Triggers)
Dan88 Offline

Loc: DC
Of course there are a million sources for statistics. If you want data, Id start with these two places.

One is the John Jay study of abusive priests in the US conducted in 02. Summarized here:
http://www.americancatholic.org/news/clergysexabuse/johnjaycns.asp

The second is Richard Sipes web site, which contains his Sipe report, which provides a good overview of available research.
http://www.richardsipe.com/sipe_report.htm#TOP

I personally think these guys attempted to be fair and accurate given the limits of what was available to them, and both sources acknowledge, quite reasonably, that their numbers are probably low simply because not all victims make complaints. How low? Who knows.

#77372 - 10/04/04 07:34 PM Re: Catholics and abuse...rejoining the church (Triggers)
FastForward Offline

Thanks Dan88.

L&P - always.

#77373 - 10/04/04 11:52 PM Re: Catholics and abuse...rejoining the church (Triggers)
Sean Simms Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Seattle
The stats I gave are from the US and were collected by an organization whose name I forget. They took the information form records of some Catholic organizations and complied them together. They deal with abuse that happened as far back as the 1950's but wasn't reported until recently.

But really, the exact numbers are not that important. What is important is that people realize that it's such a huge problem and deal with it.

Also, I don't want my post to degenerate into a debate about stats. I can feel that coming and I don't care for it.

Sean Simms

#77374 - 10/12/04 12:09 PM Re: Catholics and abuse...rejoining the church (Triggers)
FastForward Offline

The numbers reflect the size of the problem. I do not deny that there is a problem there. But I also am tired of Catholic bashing. Id the rule is to be objective and fair, let's apply it universally.

L&P - always.

#77375 - 10/13/04 02:13 AM Re: Catholics and abuse...rejoining the church (Triggers)
Sean Simms Offline
MaleSurvivor

Don't read these posts if you don't like Catholic bashing. Being Catholic myself I think I have a right to bash the Church authorities.

Sean Simms

#77376 - 10/13/04 07:50 PM Re: Catholics and abuse...rejoining the church (Triggers)
FastForward Offline

I see.

L&P - always.

#77377 - 10/15/04 12:06 AM Re: Catholics and abuse...rejoining the church (Triggers)
Sean Simms Offline
MaleSurvivor

I guess what you don't see Fast Forward is that the church can be sexually abusive and has long tried to cover it up. Who covered up your sexual abuse or complained when you brought it up? Maybe you're upset that the Catholic Church doesn't support you the way it should?

Sean

#77378 - 10/15/04 12:43 PM Re: Catholics and abuse...rejoining the church (Triggers)
FastForward Offline

Actually, Sean, it was the Church that helped me survive. I appreciate your point of view. You are entitled to it. I just want to express my appreciation to those in the Catholic Church that do a great job every day.

L&P - always.

#77379 - 10/16/04 09:35 AM Re: Catholics and abuse...rejoining the church (Triggers)
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

My abuse was not at all by any church people, but still, it is 'coverd up', and continues to be cover up today. A friend and I report it in March. More then six months later, nothing been done, until we make threats, and two these people lose jobs. Still nothing legal done. I know that we hear much of the church people right now. They are not only ones, and maybe not only ones in 'large' percentage. I am not Catholic, I am a Russian religion called Starovist. I am sure we have had father's who abuse also. But there also are teachers, coaches, parents, neighbors, who do same. I know that there is something more emotional of church abuse, because of the God nature of it. But there also are very very good people of the church, who are treated wrongly now simply because they are of God, or Catholic. It is like 'witch hunt' sometime. Maybe you would feel more comfortable engaging in different religion? I do not know.

andrei

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.