Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carter (51), CAW1980 (34), Fissy Tsickens (53), Kris (52), Wheatthins (23)
Who's Online
5 registered (lostsoul824, AdawgJR, 3 invisible), 23 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63175 Topics
441756 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#77063 - 03/20/04 07:57 PM Spiritual Passages that help you?
LostandTroubled Offline

Are there any spiritual passages that help you like from the Bible or even just famous quotes of people that sound spiritual.

Recently my father reminded me of one - he used to say it to me when I was little and it really gave me some comfort now when I'm dealing with pretty difficult stuff. I'm sure many of you know it - Psalm 23.

I'm going to post it here though - hopefully it'll give hope and comfort to others.

"The Lord is my shepard, I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness of His name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

I think that's a beautiful passage. I'd like to hear of any that comfort you when you're down. It doesn't have to be from the Bible either, anything that might cheer up someone and give encouragement if they read this thread.

#77064 - 03/22/04 05:22 PM Re: Spiritual Passages that help you?
SeeingMe Offline

Loc: USA
Hi,

There is a book I like very much. It is called "God's Psychiatry" I do not remember the author's last name but think his first name is Charles. Among other things, he explains why Psalm 23 is so meaningful.

He also goes through the 10 commandments. I especially remember the 5th commandment "Thou shall not kill." He explains that even words, and actions short of taking a life, can be a violation against this commandment.

I cannot remember the specific passage but I keep reminding myself the words that call me a child of God and how he forgives constantly. SA is such a horrific violation against His children. He created us in His image and NOTHING that these people did can take that away.

Take good care. I believe you are more precious to HIM than ever.

God bless and may His peace be with you.

SM.

#77065 - 03/22/04 05:50 PM Re: Spiritual Passages that help you?
Yves Offline

Loc: Canada
Do not be afriad, I am with you.
I am your God, let nothing terrify you.
I will help you, and make you strong,
I will protect you, and save you.

Isaiah 41:10

#77066 - 03/22/04 06:11 PM Re: Spiritual Passages that help you?
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
Nao,

One that comes to mind many times is Jesus' commandment to his deciples: "Verily, to you I give a new commandment - love one another, as I have loved you. Forgive one another, as I have forgiven you."

Both are very hard for me, but I'm learning to do the first one - and apply it to myself as well as to others. And the second, well, I'm a person who holds a grudge for a long time, so there are others I won't forgive, but I'm learning to forgive myself.

And there's a Catholic hymn, based on the Isaiah passage quoted by Yves, that gives me hope and strength:

Be Not Afraid

If you cross the barren desert, you will not die of thirst.
If you're tossed upon the violent seas, you shall never drown.
If you stand before the gates of Hell and death is by your side,
I shall be with you for always.

Be not afraid, I go before you always!
Come follow Me, and I shall give you rest.

Something I try to keep in mind, even when God and I don't see eye to eye! \:D

Peace and love, Nao, and be not afraid for He is always with you.

Scot

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

#77067 - 03/22/04 08:28 PM Re: Spiritual Passages that help you?
Yves Offline

Loc: Canada
I wanted to add one more item.

This is a line from the movie "The Stand" by Stephen King. One fellow who was asked by another if he believed in God answered no, he did not. The other fellow then says, "You may not believe in him... but He believes in you".

That comes back to haunt me sometimes when I'm feeling low.

~Yves

#77068 - 03/23/04 12:36 PM Re: Spiritual Passages that help you?
Brayton Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis
I like hearing that the meek will inherit the earth.

#77069 - 03/23/04 09:45 PM Re: Spiritual Passages that help you?
LostandTroubled Offline

Here's a quote from an anime - it's a mother talking to her son. I think it's inspriational.

"Don't worry.
All living things have the ability to return to their original form... and the heart to go on living.
Anywhere can be heaven as long as you have the will to live.
After all, you're alive... and you can find the chance to achieve happiness anywhere." - Yui Ikari

#77070 - 03/24/04 01:14 AM Re: Spiritual Passages that help you?
wrangler Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia
One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there was one only.
This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from anguish,
sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints,
so I said to the Lord,
“You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life
there has only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?”
The Lord replied,
“The years when you have seen only one set of footprints,
my child, is when I carried you.”

#77071 - 03/24/04 09:21 PM Re: Spiritual Passages that help you?
BrianMiko Offline

Crisispoint - Nao pointed out this thread and we saw your post. My husband is a former Catholic and was able to sing that song to Nao. \:\) It's very pretty with powerful words.

All of these are great passages and quotes. I've always liked the "Footsteps" poem. We're thinking of printing these out and putting them up in Nao's room to help him.
Michiko

#77072 - 03/25/04 07:16 PM Re: Spiritual Passages that help you?
parttimecop Offline

If you are familiar with Rich Mullins, he has some stirring words in his songs. Made all the more so by the fact that he is now in heaven. The two songs I think affect me most are Hold Me Jesus and We Are not as Strong as We Think We Are.

Another artist who has a powerful effect is Glenn Kaiser. He is a real Bluesy musician. Troubled World speaks of being out there in the world, filled with sin and shame. One line, "For he loved me so, though we'd been so estranged" strikes me each time I hear it. Another song of his is Long Way from Home.

Though I can't name the verse or quote it verbatim, there is a passage where Jesus is asked why he is asked why he is eating with tax collectors and sinners. It is not so much his reply that strikes me, as the fact that he is with those who are judged and condemned by thier society. He cares about the poor in spirit, those who have been abused by life.

I would not choose to have anybody go through what I have gone through, and I struggle with faith and grace something fierce. But Jesus is there waiting with open arms for those of us who do not feel we are worth of such love. I still don't grasp grace or other aspects of life. I stumble almost every minute along the path. But I do wish to serve my Lord, with what I have, with what I am.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.