Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
betterdays (29), ChevyMan76 (46), cuda (48), swartzhund (42), wdf9 (70)
Who's Online
6 registered (Shyshark, peroperic2009, On The Fringe, 3 invisible), 62 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62520 Topics
438125 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#77061 - 03/19/04 12:40 PM Spirituality and Surviving
Brayton Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis
I talk about recovery and it sometimes sounds to me like I am talking about acheiving an end and a total healing of the trauma I experienced during the SA and all the hurting effects it has had in my life.

I've come to realize, however, that recovery is for me a process that will continue for the rest of my life. I will never "get over" what happened. I will change what I do with those experiences.

I think that the self-examination that my recovery requires will lead to a gradual healing of my spirit. Already I feel the buds of a spirituality that will not this time be repressed but which will bloom within me.

For me recovery and spirituality are not separate. Recovery stimulates spiritual growth and spirtuality supports recovery.

It is ironic that the person who first introduced me, as a child, to thoughts about spirtuality was the person who beat me, screamed at me, belittled me, was the first to s-xually abuse me when I was just an infant, and ignored the distress I experienced as the result of SA perpetrated by others.

She was/is a born-again Christian, experienced a spiritual conversion . She, not surprisingly, survived a difficult childhood herself and as a young married adult starting to have children, sought spiritual guidance from a power higher than herself.

Regardless of how her God seemed to fail her in some ways, He did and continues to support her in her struggles with mental illness and a largely disintegrated family.

She must feel a great deal of pain, too, and her spirituality I suppose has supported her through that as her faith in her God has grown.

I don't know what her doubts are. I don't know what her regrets are, if any.

Her actions created a distance between us from the time that I was very young. That family fell apart from the beginning. She lives in a world of myths and delusions. I am determined to seek Truth and liberate myself from lies and secrets.

#77062 - 03/23/04 05:31 PM Re: Spirituality and Surviving
SeeingMe Offline

Loc: USA
What a great, thoughtful statement. Your compassion comes through. And your separation from the past. It sounds like you have thought through it at length and integrated it. Thank you for sharing it. SM.

Moderator:  ModTeam, SamV 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.