Newest Members
Jay1159, jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312
12343 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Bob_dup1 (54), Carlos Gerardo (41), FERALFOO (48), Jolly Fisherman (59), Karl (62), MikeInFlorida (52), mizphit09 (37), oktobe_me (53), Yaoichan (22)
Who's Online
2 registered (bluesky, 1 invisible), 18 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12343 Members
74 Forums
63439 Topics
443465 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#77033 - 01/21/04 02:23 PM Dymphna
Brayton Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis
I just heard that St. Dymphna is the patron saint of sexual abuse surviors. Anybody know anything about her?

#77034 - 01/21/04 06:54 PM Re: Dymphna
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
St. Dymphna is the patron of those afflicted with mental and emotional illness. Is that us sexual abuse survivors?

Prayer: Here us, O God, Our Saviour, as we honor St. Dymphna, patron of those afflicted with mental and emotional illness. Help us be inspired by her example and comforted by her merciful help. Amen.

For a brief history of St. Dymphna, click here.

or click here for a little more history.

#77035 - 01/22/04 10:16 AM Re: Dymphna
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
I wear a St. Dymphna medallion on a chain. Only one person has ever commented on it, a woman who converted to Catholicism as an adult and took Dymphna as her confirmation name. She didn't ask why I particularly chose to wear it.

Kind of cool to see this post today.

Thanks,

Joe

#77036 - 01/22/04 10:43 AM Re: Dymphna
Brayton Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis
The co-worker who showed her medallion to me yesterday said that Dymphna is the patron saint of sexual abuse survivors so I guess she (a survivor) thinks of it as being part of mental and emotional illness.

I do not.

For years I identified myself as a mentally/emotionally ill person. As I learn more and more about the abuse-sources of those symptoms I am reluctant to identify in that way anymore. I think I am leaving that behind and thinking more of myself as a survivor.

This transformation holds great spiritual significance for me.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.