Newest Members
Green_Lantern, Safe11ride, WillWins, neophiliac, Jerone
12118 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
archie chisholm (61), Carlos418 (37), courtney (52), kurotake (55), lostsoul (63), Lukesgirl (28), michael banks (2014), Steffon (42)
Who's Online
5 registered (On The Fringe, BluegrassGhost, 3 invisible), 66 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12118 Members
73 Forums
62516 Topics
438104 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#76976 - 08/21/03 11:56 AM Scientology- hmmm
integrator Offline

Loc: New York
I have just begun a second level course in Scientology. It's a funny situation, since I've been feeling frustrated and buffeted in my regular life. I remembered that the Scientologists do practice "auditing" which involves remembering the past.
They are, however, a rabid group, I'm finding. Their group identity is something they want to protect with an intensity bordering on vicious.
The book Dianetics contains some important insights, although it is not written with the greatest rigor or thoroughness, of say, Anthony Robbins quality or Melody Beattie. Nevertheless, it does advocate a focus on addressing the past, which is not the case for most people and groups, not even in the Twelve Step groups.
That part I find very appealing. If I get "indisposed of", somebody come rescue me, ha, ha.

#76977 - 08/22/03 06:42 PM Re: Scientology- hmmm
mrsunshineguy Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi integrator,

Like you said . . .

"They are, however, a rabid group, I'm finding, Their group identity is something they want to protect with an intensity bordering on vicious."

Yeeaaahhh . . . that might be saying it mildly. \:\) \:\)

Have you followed some of their (down right crazy, but viciously effective) attacks?
Oh, well, have fun, please watch out for yourself. And Watch Your Wallet.

See you,

Sunshine

#76978 - 08/22/03 08:25 PM Re: Scientology- hmmm
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Wern't these guys involved with some kind of 'brainwashing' scandal a while back ?

Dave

#76979 - 09/03/03 12:13 PM Re: Scientology- hmmm
integrator Offline

Loc: New York
Hey, thanks for your comments, guys. Well, here's an update. They wanted to offer me a part time position, and repeated for the second time that if I do their auditing, I can't do anything else. Their auditing won't work, they said. Basically, that did it. Since I'm not willing to give up my other supports, like the 12 step groups, I realized that actually, I don't qualify for their program. It's quite a relief, since they are quite high pressure. The people certainly didn't seem as happy or balanced as they are supposed to be when they have attained the level of "clear". Nevertheless, I have the further encouragement of their legitimate accomplishments. They present a pretty thorough perspective on the influences that affect a person's psychological health, and cause psychosomatic illness.
My own interests have been pretty extensive in the field, and the Scientology perspective is consistent with much of the therapeutic modalities. Maybe someday they'll chill out a little.

#76980 - 09/03/03 03:09 PM Re: Scientology- hmmm
James_dup1 Offline

Loc: Wyoming
I had a breif dealing with them when I was a teen. Somehow I got on there mailing list. After 3 letters asking them to remove me I called. The lady I talked to said "Sorry that must have been when we were on the Neptune plane were on the Pluto plane now." that's what she said. Ofcourse my responce was "Look I dont care what drugs your taking to make you go to other panets I just want your junk mail to stop." POOF no more junk from them. I think a cousin of mine put me on the list she was/is a member. Her and her husbond lived in a church house, ate church food, wore church cloths. They didnt do anything with the ok of the church. Not even trying to have a baby. Not untill the church told them it was time. Not that they thought they were ready the church was ready for them to. Strainge.

#76981 - 09/03/03 05:04 PM Re: Scientology- hmmm
brian-z Offline

Loc: Western USA
just don't lose yourself

#76982 - 09/03/03 10:47 PM Re: Scientology- hmmm
catch22 Offline

Loc: san jose, ca
i dont understand the last comment

i have had off and on again dealings with them. i dont agree with everything they espouse, but find them to be...intriguing. i dont think i was in dange of "losing myself." i felt i maintained my integrity of being. ??

Moderator:  ModTeam, SamV 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.