Newest Members
BCtejas, JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman
12491 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kb8715 (114), rom2057 (57), terrapin (51)
Who's Online
3 registered (Obi, WriterKeith, 1 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12491 Members
74 Forums
64158 Topics
447715 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#76929 - 06/22/03 04:44 PM What has changed since the Catholic Conference of Bishops last year in Dallas?
Mark Crawford Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Hello fellow survivors. I am collecting data on as many Catholic diocese as I can get info on. If you care to take a few minutes to share your thoughts I would appreciate it.

I am interested in hearing from anyone who wishes to share information regarding the actions of their local bishop in dealing with the clergy abuse scandals since last year. I would appreciate the name of the bishop and/or the diocese to which you are refering, but this is not absolutely necessary. If you don't want to post your response here then please e-mail me at mcrawford@malesurvivor.org

I am seeking info on any or all of the following questions. Please let me know how you became aware of this info as well...i.e. newspaper, from your pastor, from local prosecutors office, from the victim, etc...

Has your diocese disclosed the number of clergy members removed from ministry since the scandal broke? If so, how many? What is the source of this info?

Has the bishop or diocese spokesperson spoken to the people of any parish where a cleric was removed for credible allegations of misconduct?

Has your diocese done enough to remove abusive clergy from ministry? Please explain.

Do you know if they have returned any of the accused clergy back to ministry?

Have they learned how to deal with the victims any better? If yes, in what way?

Do you feel your diocese has been open/transparent on all issues of clergy abuse?

In general, on a scale of A thru F what is your perception of how the Catholic Church has handled this crisis...

A - In the best way possible
B - Making significant progress
C - More needs to be done
D - Far from healthy/missed opportunities
F - Failed completely

Thank you for any time spent in helping me gather this information.

Mark

#76930 - 06/22/03 04:52 PM Re: What has changed since the Catholic Conference of Bishops last year in Dallas?
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Mark, I have at least for the time being made this a feature post to keep it front & center for better data gathering opportunities.

Victor

#76931 - 06/22/03 10:37 PM Re: What has changed since the Catholic Conference of Bishops last year in Dallas?
orodo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Imladris, The Safe Haven of Ar...
you got my email... i got info from maine...

It is better to be Dragon Master than Dragon Slayer. Some Dragons are meant to be mastered, others meant to be slain. Odin, Great Spirit, God, grant me the wisdom to know the difference. "May the Valar guide and bless you on your path under the sky"

#76932 - 06/27/03 04:58 AM Re: What has changed since the Catholic Conference of Bishops last year in Dallas?
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
Marc I can only give you info about how they handaled my own case and I must say that Father Kevin at the arcdioceses of St Paul handaled it in a open way. It took a lot longer than I wanted it to but they did acept my case as the truth and they opened up and reached out to the other victims from the parish. My abuse happened in the 1960's and both priest are dead a long time. One died in 1965 and the other in 1971.

On Nov 14 of last year the archdioceses held a open meeting called a Time to Heal. At that meeting Father Kevin talked about my abuse and offered the resources of the church for healing to all other victims. About 13 men came forward to begin their healing. I do not know how they have handaled the issue in other cases. I was happy with the way they dealt with me. I will try to find more facts for you.Muldoon

#76933 - 06/27/03 01:25 PM Re: What has changed since the Catholic Conference of Bishops last year in Dallas?
godsrabbit Offline

the priest involved in my case was removed from ministry and will never be returned. i did not ask for this to happen, in fact, it was done against my express desire...

i was the only victim in this case and i wish someone would have listened to me a little more clearly instead of being so reactionary...had this been brought to light in any other year it would have been handled much differently.

the priest who took my confession during the time of the abuse was also given early retirement and filed as an "accessory" to the crime.

i chose not to press charges or pursue the matter.

on the one hand i am very satisfied with the way this was handled because permanent measures were quickly taken to deal with it. on the other hand, i am very distressed because i was essentially forced to blow the whistle when i did not believe it was necessary...this man was not a serial pedophile, was not a monster...

i am comforted only by the hope that they will be just as swift and effective dealing with those who are serious threats.

i don't want to hear any crap about my case either. i am a better judge of that man's proclivities than anyone here. he abused me. i accept that. but he was, by nature, a good man and not a pervert (i was an adult and believed the relationship between us was mutual). had i not been so willing and available, we may have both spared one another a lot of pain. the Church is currently footing the bill for my therapy and has been very supportive...it is my hope the same is true with other survivors.

i am only responding here because i want to add my two cents that i feel the Church has, in my case, taken measures above and beyond to see to it that the situation is addressed...

~ rabbit

#76934 - 06/27/03 01:50 PM Re: What has changed since the Catholic Conference of Bishops last year in Dallas?
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Hi Mark,

There have been lots of good stuff with Timothy Dolan our new Arch. So many of the staff are in Rome today for the giving of the Pallium on Sunday. Early next month I wi8ll get you the stuff you want from here.

Ofcourse, you know about Sean O'Malley, OFM Cap and the work he has done in Fall River and now in Palm Beach. I suspect you could get a protocol from Sean's office. Use Vinny's name!

I'll talk to you soome.

Bob

#76935 - 06/27/03 01:52 PM Re: What has changed since the Catholic Conference of Bishops last year in Dallas?
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
a furture thought here Mark--what has happen with the Religious Congregations... some stuff about that too. I'll get it to you.

Bob

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.