Newest Members
RepressedMem, jet_step, JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut
12468 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kinghenri (26)
Who's Online
1 registered (tbkkfile), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12468 Members
74 Forums
64031 Topics
446842 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#76920 - 06/05/03 01:20 PM "Why am i failing?"
al Offline

Loc: canada
Thot i should share....

"Why am i failing?"

A man was sleeping in his cabin one night when suddenly the room was filled with light and the Savior appeared. The Lord told the man he had work for him to do, and showed him a large rock in front of the cabin.

The Lord explained that the man was to push against the rock with all his might.

This the man did, day after day. For many years he toiled from sun to sundown, his shoulders set squarely against the cold, massive surface of the unmoving rock, pushing with all his might. Each night the man returned to his cabin sore and worn out, feeling that his whole day had been spent in vain. Seeing that the man was showing signs of discouragement, Satan decided to enter the picture by placing doubts into the man's weary mind: "You have been pushing against the rock for a long time and it hasn't budged. Why kill yourself over this? You are never going to move it." He gave the man the impression that the task was impossible and that he was a failure. Discouraged and disheartened, the man thought, "Why kill myself? I'll just put in my time, giving the minimum effort and that will be good enough."

And that was what he planned to do until one day he decided to make it a matter of prayer and take his troubled thoughts to the Lord. "Lord," he said, "I have labored long and hard in your service, putting all my strength to do what you have asked. Yet, after all this time, I have not even budged that rock one inch. What's wrong? Why am i failing?"

The Lord responded compassionately, "My friend, when I asked you to serve me and you accepted, I told you that your task was to push against the rock with all your strength, which you have done. Never once did I mention to you that I expected you to move it. Your task was to push.

"And now you come to me with your strength spent, thinking that you have failed. But is that really so? Look at yourself. Your arms are strong, your back is muscular, and your legs have become massive and hard. Through opposition, you have grown much and your abilities now surpass what you used to have.

"Yet you haven't moved the rock. But your calling was to be obiedient and to push and to exercise your faith and trust in My wisdom. This you have done. I, my friend, will now move the rock."

~~ Author Unknown

Kites rise highest against the wind, not with it. Winston Churchill

#76921 - 06/05/03 04:21 PM Re: "Why am i failing?"
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Wow my little brother that is an amazing story and one we should all take to heart. aaaaaaaawwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooeeeeeeeee

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#76922 - 06/11/03 09:11 AM Re: "Why am i failing?"
Freedom Offline

Loc: US
Faaantastic! Thank you for sharing. Freedom.

#76923 - 06/29/03 06:04 PM Re: "Why am i failing?"
integrator Offline

Loc: New York
To me that story does not reflect a sufficiently empowering understanding of God. It reminds me of the classic medieval rendering of religion to find your happiness in heaven, after you die. Don't take my response as necessarily right for you, but it works for me.
My own spiritual path has been focussed on the immediate presence and beneficial nature of God, related to the dynamic force of materialistic society and science. I realize this now that having thought about it a lot, and even coming to that particular realization now. Wow!
Modern self-help techniques gave me insights into the many tools to work with psychological issues and the mind. Eventually recognizing even in Christianity's origins the promise of definite results through attentive practice, a connection appeared that went beyond needing to resign myself to futility. The techniques discovered and refined by the Christian Scientists, Louise Hay, and Anthony Robbins, for example, remind me of the kind of power I can choose to recognize in my own self-development.
A recent example was my feeling of claustrophobia and imprisonment because of delays in my wife's immigration status. We couldn't travel abroad together. We decided to take some trips around the US, to Florida and so on.
Then, as last year wound down, I had some vacation days I needed to use, but my wife didn't want to travel. As circumstances developed, and the Christmas holidays approached, I quickly got the idea that I could travel to the country of my father's side of the family. Time was short, but zowie! A little bit of investigation turned up good terms and procedures. I got to take a trip I hardly expected a few days before. It had actually seemed unattainable due to all the mental stress I was experiencing in my circumstances.
No, I think that story is only part of the story. I think it would be better conceived as part of something like the story of Good King Wenceslas, "It's a Wonderful Life", or Joseph in Genesis. Again, this approach may not be right for you, but it works for me.

#76924 - 06/29/03 06:09 PM Re: "Why am i failing?"
integrator Offline

Funny. I just reread the ending of the story, and realize that I was a little rash, and had focussed on the agonizing effort portion. I missed God's message that he would move the rock. I guess I like it, and can relate to it, after all. Cheers!

#76925 - 06/29/03 06:45 PM Re: "Why am i failing?"
integrator Offline

Actually, it gives me the chance to reflect as well on my most recent circumstances. They just let me go from my position, telling me it was downsizing. That and the severance terms gave me the chance to take a little trip. In a week, I whipped up a trip to Europe. I remember feeling pretty demoralized in many respects, the effects of the massive downer of my job and work environment. The trip to Europe posed many challenges, and was fraught with frustrating circumstances. I got the definite impression that I was rousing myself from a deep slumber, and a wintry frosting. Such was the effect of my former workplace, despite my best efforts to keep myself afloat.
For instance, on my last day in Paris, I took a little bit of a meal off the Avenue de la Grand Armee, a wide avenue that leads into the huge Arc de Triomphe traffic circle. I had gone to the Louvre that morning, and decided to indulge in a beer and a nice meal. I kept my eye on my watch, and then roused myself to urgency, and hustled back to devote mid afternoon to the final preparations and commute. It turns out that by delaying until late afternoon, I hit rush hour. Loaded down with bags, I hailed a few cabs that simply passed me by. Me! Sweaty, encumbered me! OK, then another cab heard my destination, a far off train station, and then brushed me off. I hazarded to try a train. None showed up. Back on the street, I finally got picked up by a cab. It turned out time ran out, and I missed my night train to Rome. C'est la vie. Bummer. Merci. De rien.
Anyway, my trip was filled with the frustrations of details and fine cultural and circumstantial adjustments. Moving from one country to another will do that to you culturally, for example, simply when Gracias and De nada then becomes Grazie and Prego. It takes some getting used to, and seemed to be never ending.
Now that I'm back in the States, however, I'm feeling significantly more light hearted. The depression I felt after being let go has definitely benefited from “culture shock therapy”. Nice rock, we'll take it. Gott sei dank. A hearty thank you, God, for that show of divine love. It's a miracle. Much gratitude again for choosing to go with the encouraging story. They say God loves you. It makes a lot of sense to me.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.