Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
melnjams (42), rage (27)
Who's Online
2 registered (Jude, 1 invisible), 26 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63189 Topics
441847 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#76837 - 04/19/03 12:06 AM "Good Friday"?
Ron_dup1 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Arkansas
I am a Christian.
I understand that not everyone here is but I still feel that I should post this. I hope it does not offend any of you who are of other faiths \:\)

A friend who knows I am a strong Christian asked me today, "If today is the day that Jesus was crucified and died on the cross, why do Christians call it "good" Friday"?
I found great hope in my answer and want to share it with all of you...
It is true that good Friday is the day that Christians remember that Jesus our Lord died on the cross. And I am certain that his disciples and mother and other followers did not feel that it was a "good" Friday as they watched him hang on the cross and die. I am sure they felt despair, confusion, like they had been lied to, that maybe this man, Jesus, was not who he claimed to be.
But then three days later, those same people found an empty tomb! Death had been defeated! God was victorious! The Bible says the wages of sin is death, but Jesus conquered it and brought new life. Good Friday is GOOD because Jesus took the punishment (death) for all our sins, but God was powerful enough to bring new life from that death!
This story gives me such hope. That even in the darkest of times, when everything looks bad and like evil has won, God is at work!
I see who I am today and I like who I am! I still have MANY issues that I work on, but over all I am a good person. Much of my empathy for people and my "intuition" that keeps me and others safe, is due to my abuse and my home life growing up. God has used that stuff to mold me and shape me into a good, loving, sensitive man! I don't know what I would have been without those experiences, sometimes I wonder, but I really like who I am now, in spite of or maybe because of the things I've been through.
I praise God that God is one who works for good in all situations for those who love God!
I hope this makes sense and brings you hope, as it did me.
Ron

#76838 - 04/19/03 12:35 AM Re: "Good Friday"?
orodo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Imladris, The Safe Haven of Ar...
IMHO...

Jesus was the ultimate survivor.

Peace

orodo

It is better to be Dragon Master than Dragon Slayer. Some Dragons are meant to be mastered, others meant to be slain. Odin, Great Spirit, God, grant me the wisdom to know the difference. "May the Valar guide and bless you on your path under the sky"

#76839 - 04/19/03 12:20 PM Re: "Good Friday"?
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Quote:
I am a Christian.
I understand that not everyone here is but I still feel that I should post this. I hope it does not offend any of you who are of other faiths \:\)
Thank you for your sensitivity, and for going ahead & posting what you did in a sensitive manner
Like you I am a Christian. But I grew up in a very anti-Christian home and am quite sensitive to the insensitivities of some professing Christians.

It is hard for me to see how anything you said could be taken as intentionally offensive tho in fact some might take offense becuz for different reasons Christianity in general offends them.

The key is you're not trying to force Christianity
on anyone, just sharing your ESH (Experience Strength & Hope).

This all applies to anyone here who shares any religious or other kind of belief.

Ron I appreciate your answer as you shared the basic Gospel story. As Orodo says, Jesus is the Ultimate Savior. He is to me also the Ultimate Survivor; see the thread below:

http://www.malesurvivor.org/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000065

Quote:
I see who I am today and I like who I am! I still have MANY issues that I work on, but over all I am a good person. Much of my empathy for people and my "intuition" that keeps me and others safe, is due to my abuse and my home life growing up. God has used that stuff to mold me and shape me into a good, loving, sensitive man! I don't know what I would have been without those experiences, sometimes I wonder, but I really like who I am now, in spite of or maybe because of the things I've been through.

Ron
Ron I very much rejoice in this your experience and I very much resonate with it. Thank you for the affirmation & encouragement.

Victor

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.