Newest Members
uvagrad4, cricket1007, Nickie98, jahfree, Daryl X.
12497 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
joeybird (54), ladyinwaiting (46), txpearl (46)
Who's Online
2 registered (lapchinj, Bluedogone), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12497 Members
74 Forums
64172 Topics
447804 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#76823 - 04/12/03 07:55 AM How does your spirituality express itself?
guy43 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Does your higher power speak to you?

Do you get answers to your prayers?

Does your spirituality comfort and provide you with strength, courage, and the desire to live the best life you can?

------------------------------
I'd be grateful for any responses people care to make here. If possible, I ask that you not reply in terms of your religious teachings; I was sexually and emotionally abused by a minister, my father, until I escaped him. For now, my spiritual search can't have anything to do with churches or biblical teachings.

jer

#76824 - 04/12/03 08:12 AM Re: How does your spirituality express itself?
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Jer:

Quote:
Does your higher power speak to you?
Yes. When I listen.

Quote:
Do you get answers to your prayers?
Yes. When I'm ready to really pray and receive the answers I'm given.

Quote:
Does your spirituality comfort and provide you with strength, courage, and the desire to live the best life you can?
Yes. When I let it, when I let my Higher Power do that for me & with me which I cannot do alone.
------------------------------
Quote:
I'd be grateful for any responses people care to make here. If possible, I ask that you not reply in terms of your religious teachings; I was sexually and emotionally abused by a minister, my father, until I escaped him.
\:\(

Quote:
For now, my spiritual search can't have anything to do with churches or biblical teachings.
No wonder...

Take care Jer.

Victor

#76825 - 04/12/03 09:05 AM Re: How does your spirituality express itself?
guy43 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Hey Victor, damn man, yer fast \:D

Victor and all - please sprinkle some 'how does it happen' in whatever you care to share on this topic

grateful jer

#76826 - 04/13/03 04:40 PM Re: How does your spirituality express itself?
SandyW Offline

Loc: NJ
Jer,

You need to have faith that the higher power exists. Its like believing in the wind. We don't see the wind, but we know and believe it exists by seeing the results of what it does from the gentle rustling of leaves, to the uprooted tree from a storm. This too is how a higher power works. Some times its not so obvious (like the uprooted tree), its more subtle (like the gentle rustling of leaves). Only when my faith grew to this point, did I receive what you asked in your three questions. One thing to add, when my prayers are answered, they are answered in such detail that they could have only been answered by someone who personally knows my heart and mind. And I mean details that I didn't even ask for when I prayed, its just the added extra to show you that the relationship IS personal.

Also, so sorry that you had that experience with religion as a child. I too had hypocritical "Christian" parents (though not as extreme as your case). At 16, I set out to reject everything they were, including Christianity. The joke was on me...over a decade later, I realized that they weren't really Christians after all. By rejecting and rebelling against what I thought they were, I became like them in that respect. Ironic, isn't it?

Sandy

#76827 - 04/18/03 05:06 PM Re: How does your spirituality express itself?
wanderer Offline

Loc: massachusetts
Hi Jer -

"Religion is for people who fear hell. Spirituality is for people who've been there".

Music has always been my spiritual source. Whatever I've been through and whatever I'm going through - someone has been there and written a song about it. Put on your headphones and sing and dance like there's no tomorrow !

#76828 - 04/18/03 05:48 PM Re: How does your spirituality express itself?
Les_Angry Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey Jer,

Yes
yes
yes

as for people like your perp, I totally agree with Sandy:

Quote:
Also, so sorry that you had that experience with religion as a child. I too had hypocritical "Christian" parents (though not as extreme as your case). At 16, I set out to reject everything they were, including Christianity. The joke was on me...over a decade later, I realized that they weren't really Christians after all. By rejecting and rebelling against what I thought they were, I became like them in that respect. Ironic, isn't it?
Most or all of the people I thought were Christians weren't either.

Peace
MO Healing

#76829 - 04/18/03 07:51 PM Re: How does your spirituality express itself?
Wuamei Offline

Wanderer:

Quote:
"Religion is for people who fear hell. Spirituality is for people who've been there".
Never heard that one before but I like it!

Like what you say about music too, and really resonate with it.

Mo:

Agree wholeheartedly. If walking into a church makes a person a Christian then guess what I was in the swimming pool the other day so I must be a . Went to get my wife's car fixed the other day so I must be an auto mechanic,
or maybe I'm a car? Watched Jackie Chan the other night so I'm a Kung Fu expert ...

Victor

#76830 - 04/19/03 11:56 PM Re: How does your spirituality express itself?
integrator Offline

Loc: New York
I'm feeling pretty down and out right now, and think I've found a good place to be. I've gotten some sense of connection to my higher power in the last few weeks and months going to Church. My work place is pretty unenlightened, for my taste and health. The Twelve Step groups have given me lots of support and allowed me to find out what really happened to me, and just how screwed up the world can be.
That's my most effective spiritual practice, it has turned out. The Twelve Step groups are a place where I can open up and speak my mind honestly and pretty darn openly. All my prayers and meditations open up after that.
Take care, everybody. Thank you all again. May you be well, reasonably happy, and plenty successful.

#76831 - 04/20/03 09:53 PM Re: How does your spirituality express itself?
Wuamei Offline

You too Integrator.

#76832 - 04/22/03 09:55 AM Re: How does your spirituality express itself?
PeteT Offline

Loc: Michigan
When I was 10 years old, My family and I went to my older sisters house the night before Easter. My sister and brother-n-law and mom and step dad went out drinking that night, of course they came back drunk and fighting. My step dad decided we was going home so at 3:00 AM Easter Sunday we loaded up the car and headed home.
I was so scared because I knew when we got home my step dad would continue the fighting and abuse with me and my mom. I prayed to God that we did not have to go home. The next thing I knew was that my stepdad had driven off the road and went flying into a 30 foot ravine and the car hit a big boulder at the bottom.
There was blood all over the place but my step-sister and myself were unharm. My step-sister went for help and I climb into the front seat and honked the horn , hoping another car would hear it and stop. My step-dad almost bleed to death that night and my mom broke her tail bone.
I always believed that God had heard my prayer that night and protected me from any harm. He also punished my step-dad by almost bleeding to death. I thought maybe this would change things, maybe this was a new beginning. It was for a short time but then the drinking started again and along with it the abuse. I still believe God was trying to give my step-dad a message that night but he refused to listen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.