Newest Members
Barracuda312, Just Hanging, mossTI, E35, 1975
12339 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
3 registered (traveler, caesar14, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12339 Members
74 Forums
63433 Topics
443434 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#76728 - 02/23/03 02:01 PM Catholic Hope
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Gotta add to the above, especially in light of what my wife just showed me on TV!

Any of you guys "across the pond" (as CNN said) heard of a priest named, I think, Gerald Wright, aka "The Rapping Priest?" Sounds like someone who is really trying to reach out.

Also nudged me to go ahead and write about the great Roman Catholic Mass I watched today, which was actually about the last 45 minutes or so of the show I referred to in the previous post,
"Americal at Worship." It was at the church at Notre Dame University.

I don't remember the name of the priest, but he was very down to earth, talked like a normal human being, and seemed to know what's going on in the world, care about people, and actually believe what he's saying. How refreshing!

This priest gave an excellent sermon on healing, forgiveness, and hope. The Mass was an awesome, reverent worship experience.

Ministers and churches like this may not get as much press but I still think they're the majority!
After all do people get press for murdering, or not murderering when they had good opportunity? For doing loving things, or hateful things?

It's all about news, ratings, sensationalism, etc. Has nothing to do with what the majority of people do. It's what the majority of people don't do. That's why it's news.

There is still hope for the church and for the world! And for all of us! \:\)

Victor

#76729 - 02/23/03 09:53 PM Re: Catholic Hope
Mark Crawford Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Hi Vic, I do not remember his name at this time but I believe I know to whom you were refering. I have also heard this priest talk about the Church's current crisis, he and several other priests from Notre Dame were really on target. They do understand and know of the terrible damage done to these victims and how the Church must set it right. They have been very candid and outspoken.

Yes, they are not alone and the vast majority of priests are GOOD. I have several very close friends who are very good priests and they also understand all too well.

Vic, I just want to add...although the publicity that has been intense regarding the Church's shortcomings at this time. Has even at times been very negative...It will serve to help our Church grow in the long run.

I don't know how to articulate this very well but I absolutely believe that from the worst/awful/most painful events will spring the greatest GOOD! Yes, maybe our society has a liking for sordid details of betrayal...but believe it or not for the 1st time the Church is talking about Clergy who have sexually abused children, they are starting to talk about where they failed. I know we need far more of this to happen but it is a begining. It is having HOPE....being able to see the beauty and the good AFTER having seen something at its worst. That only can happen with true love.

Remember even Saint Francis of Assisi was turned away from Rome as he sought to establish the Franciscan order....yet he persisted, he finally won out and has had one of the greatest influences within our religion today!

One day soon I will probably share some of the letters I had written to the local Archbishop, all the American Cardinals and to Rome regarding what my brother and I experienced as we sought healing from our family the Church.

Remember, In FIRE GOLD is TESTED!

Mark

#76730 - 02/24/03 02:02 PM Re: Catholic Hope
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Quote:
Vic, I just want to add...although the publicity that has been intense regarding the Church's shortcomings at this time. Has even at times been very negative...It will serve to help our Church grow in the long run.

I don't know how to articulate this very well but I absolutely believe that from the worst/awful/most painful events will spring the greatest GOOD!...It is having HOPE....being able to see the beauty and the good AFTER having seen something at its worst. That only can happen with true love.

Remember, In FIRE GOLD is TESTED!

Mark I do believe you are right, and thanks for sharing the encouraging reminder. If this is what it takes for things to change in the Church, or anywhere else, then so be it. The important thing is that victims are able to come forward and become survivors, then thrivers; and that further abuse is prevented.

Victor

#76731 - 02/25/03 04:14 AM Re: Catholic Hope
Les_Angry Offline
MaleSurvivor

Even when Jesus was around there was Judas. Jesus said the gates of the underworld would not prevail against his church. I'm sure it seemed like an unimaginably bad, hopeless time when Jesus hung on the cross, but three days later he rose again and the whole thing turned into something positive. God will turn this bad time into something good. Mark I was wondering if you quoted Sirach because it is part of tommorows readings. (The Catholic church uses the same readings in all of its masses on the same day all aroung the world). Here it is, I found it so comforting as a survivor, that I copyclipped it into a different file I was going to print and carry with me tommorow:

Sir 2:1-11

My son, when you come to serve the Lord,
stand in justice and fear,
prepare yourself for trials.
Be sincere of heart and steadfast,
incline your ear and receive the word of understanding,
undisturbed in time of adversity.
Wait on God, with patience, cling to him, forsake him not;
thus will you be wise in all your ways.
Accept whatever befalls you,
when sorrowful, be steadfast,
and in crushing misfortune be patient;
For in fire gold and silver are tested,
and worthy people in the crucible of humiliation.

Trust God and God will help you;
trust in him, and he will direct your way;
keep his fear and grow old therein.

You who fear the Lord, wait for his mercy,
turn not away lest you fall.
You who fear the Lord, trust him,
and your reward will not be lost.
You who fear the Lord, hope for good things,
for lasting joy and mercy.
You who fear the Lord, love him,
and your hearts will be enlightened.
Study the generations long past and understand;
has anyone hoped in the Lord and been disappointed?
Has anyone persevered in his commandments and been forsaken?
has anyone called upon him and been rebuffed?
Compassionate and merciful is the Lord;
he forgives sins, he saves in time of trouble
and he is a protector to all who seek him in truth.

The catholic mass is online every day (30 minutes in length) at http://www.themass.com, tommorow they will read that reading and talk about it. So will Father Bob (the Dean). Dean, can you print your sermon for tommorow here?

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.