Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
drivejoepublic (44), eagle299 (43), H18 (21), JJJ (43), mariposaman (63), SevenTwoTwo76 (39), TexAgMan (37), waiter (44), wgwarch (55)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63582 Topics
444218 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#76717 - 02/22/03 06:03 PM Readiness
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
"When is a person ready to deal with the damaging effects of incest?"

"For us, memories and feelings will present themselves when we are ready to deal with them safely through the guidance of a Higher Power within that is wise and loving. Forcing the 'forgotten past' to the surface prematurely by means of harsh or manipulative drugs or mind/body techniques--fighting Nature--causes more harm."

"Whatever needs to come will come when we do not have to deal with this alone."

--from "Surviving with Serenity: Daily Meditations for Incest Survivors" by T. Thomas, February 22, "Readiness".

#76718 - 03/05/03 08:31 AM Re: Readiness
SandyW Offline

Loc: NJ
To answer your question...in God's time.

Here's our story. I had been fasting and praying for my husband's deliverance from his alcohol problem. Every three months or so, he would become unable to deal with life and go drink. The day after my fast, he went and drank. (I really thought God had let me down.) Some friends from our church hunted him down and got him home safely. (Finding him after 7 hours of searching was by God's grace alone.) This was the wee hours of Sunday morning. We all missed church. (By the way, I handled this with God's grace and didn't even yell about it...a small miracle in itself!) That Monday, we had a standing appointment as we had been being counseled for our marital problems with our pastor. I had decided that I should not go. My husband went by himself and revealed to our pastor the secret he'd been hiding for 23 years.

Where can I get a copy of "Surviving with Serenity: Daily Meditations for Incest Survivors" by T. Thomas?

Sandy

#76719 - 03/05/03 11:26 AM Re: Readiness
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
SandyW,

Thanks for opening up and sharing your incredible
painful yet hopeful story, the experience of both yourself & your husband. It's great your husband finally broke the silence barrier. Took me about 35 years from the last time I was sexually abused
that is about 20 months ago.

To get "Surviving with Serenity: Daily Meditations for Incest Survivors" by T. Thomas, go to the MS main page, into the bookstore, and from there link to Amazon.com, where hopefully you'll still be able to find it as a used book; for some strange reason it's out of print. By going to Amazon.com thru the MS bookstore, you give I think 5% to MS on all you purchase.

Thanks again Sandy. My continued prayers are for you & your husband to continue to receive and to grow in God's grace & knowledge.

Victor

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.