Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
closerthenveins (26), Nvolpicelli (24), Sven (19)
Who's Online
7 registered (Obi, CafeMan, don64, 3 invisible), 46 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63114 Topics
441369 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#76680 - 01/30/03 07:09 AM Re: Will the Catholic Church EVER "get it" !
Mark Crawford Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
The more I think about this whole matter the more I am outraged by my Church's ignorance and insensitivety!

I can't imagine how the the LEADERS of the Catholic Church can decide to VIOLATE the confidence of the therapist and patient yet espouse the notion that discussions between the priest and penitent (during the sacrement of confession)are to be held in the strictest confidence! If priests can loose their faculties (their ability to administer the sacrements) for violating, in any way, shape or form the confessions of a penitent. Then how on this earth, can a bishop think it is okay to force a professional to violate this confidence....simply because they have a legal right to do so!

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS AND ABSOLUTELY HYPOCRITICAL!

This is just further proof....They believe and see themselves AS THE VICTIM in these cases. They ACT and are ABOVE THE LAW! They should adhere to a standard which transcends that set by our secular society, instead they chose to live by NO STANDARD, applying laws when it benifits themselves only.

As a practicing Catholic I am heartbroken. Again I ask, "when will they get it"? Who among their ranks will stand up and be counted? I recall, just prior to his conversion, Saint Francis of Assisi heard a voice telling him "Francis, rebuild my Church"....We could sure use a St. Francis now!

Mark

#76681 - 01/30/03 09:11 AM Re: Will the Catholic Church EVER "get it" !
Les_Angry Offline
MaleSurvivor

All those therapists should read one example of a martyr who gave thier life to protect the sanctity of confession and plead the fifth. My wife's friend went to Medjugorje, Bosnia about 2 years ago and one of the stops along the trip was a visit to an incorrupt body that lies in a church. It is the body of a priest whose throat was slashed by the Romans for refusing to disclose the name of who was responsible for setting a large fire in that area in the eigth century. He said he would rather die than violate the sanctity of confession.

#76682 - 01/30/03 11:24 PM Re: Will the Catholic Church EVER "get it" !
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Mark: St. Francis wrote "Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace." Indeed we do need some peacemakers, instruments of peace, to play the tunes of harmony, unity, equity, and integrity. Without justice there is no peace.

Mo: Unfortunately the concept of martyrdom, or for that matter sacrifice, much less exercising justice & decency, seems to be lost on some church leaders, and therapists for that matter. Too busy taking care of their money & careers, and covering their sorry arses! \:o

Victor

#76683 - 01/31/03 12:49 PM Re: Will the Catholic Church EVER "get it" !
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Along with the above thougt it has always been my belief that Christ threw out the money people from the temple and preached, love, foregivess and healing. Boy have we com a long way. Saddening is it not??

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#76684 - 01/31/03 07:44 PM Re: Will the Catholic Church EVER "get it" !
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Is it stuff like this that keeps us atheists atheists ?

I have no inclination to return to the Church although I had a very religious upbringing in the Methodist Church. But I strive to be a decent and moral person who believes many of the principles believers do.

I feel that if I can achieve this without the trappings of an organization then that's the best for me. And when I see organized religion falling down like this then the hypocricy convinces me I'm best out of it.

Dave

#76685 - 02/01/03 03:10 PM Re: Will the Catholic Church EVER "get it" !
Mark Crawford Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Well just maybe there is some hope after all...

Bishop Paul Bootlowski of the Metuchen diocese here in New Jersey yesterday announced that his diocese had concluded settlements with 10 victims which had come forward in the past year or so. He met with all of them, apologized to them, and reached settlements totaling more than 800K to these 10 victims. He did not ask for silence...however...the one part I am not thrilled with is that the priests involved did not have to admit guilt. The article I read did not say if these clergy members would be returned to ministry...I hope not.

A prominant local lawyer who represents many clergy abuse victims here in New Jersey said that he is glad the Bishop worked hard to bring these cases to closure and applauded this Bishops deeds....now we just need the rest of the Bishops to take his lead! Although the priests involved did not have to admit guilt I know they were removed from ministry at the time they were accused and the parishes involved were told of the allegations against each priest. This is far more than many other diocese have done thus far....Archbishop Meyers (a canon lawyer)of Newark and Bishop Lenon of Boston have changed few things and have not done anything that would initiate or allow healing....THEY STILL DON"T GET IT!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.