Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueturtle (46), David C (40), DavidC (40), Derdlecar (61), Hector (54)
Who's Online
2 registered (motmcd, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63366 Topics
443084 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#76643 - 12/14/02 11:09 PM Re: Cardinal Law Resigns
orodo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Imladris, The Safe Haven of Ar...
Well, i gotta put in my 2 cents ....

I think i still got some faith, I am still RC, tho abused by a priest. The perp is not a priest, and now lives next door to the church.

I am active in ministry at the church, eucharistic minister, lector, usher, all that.

tomorrow, I am scheduled to proclaim the word..

Reading I
Is 61:1-2a, 10-11

The spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me,
because the LORD has anointed me;
he has sent me to bring glad tidings to the poor,
to heal the brokenhearted,
to proclaim liberty to the captives
and release to the prisoners,
to announce a year of favor from the LORD
and a day of vindication by our God.

I rejoice heartily in the LORD,
in my God is the joy of my soul;
for he has clothed me with a robe of salvation
and wrapped me in a mantle of justice,
like a bridegroom adorned with a diadem,
like a bride bedecked with her jewels.
As the earth brings forth its plants,
and a garden makes its growth spring up,
so will the Lord GOD make justice and praise
spring up before all the nations.

Holy Mary Mother of God pray for me, a sinner, now and at the hour of my death...

It is better to be Dragon Master than Dragon Slayer. Some Dragons are meant to be mastered, others meant to be slain. Odin, Great Spirit, God, grant me the wisdom to know the difference. "May the Valar guide and bless you on your path under the sky"

#76644 - 12/15/02 10:08 AM Re: Cardinal Law Resigns
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Orodo, I'm glad to hear you've not lost your faith; many lose theirs & that is tragic. And good for you for still being active in the church. Some would not be able to do so; of course there's nothing wrong with that, but it's good some can remain active in the church, whether for their own health, as a reforming example in the church, or both.

We are using that same Scripture in our church today (United Methodist); we're following the lectionary. Great passage; may the captives be released! The truth can make us free!

Wuame

#76645 - 12/15/02 04:15 PM Re: Cardinal Law Resigns
Mark Crawford Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Orodo, I am glad to hear you have also not abandoned your faith. If it is truely FAITH, then we must not allow the actions of ANY man to come between us and that which we believe. Sometimes it is necessary to look at something from a new perspective but we don't have to throw it all out.

I too am a practicing Catholic and very active in my church. For the most part I know that many parish priests see this issue as we do. It still seems to me that the leaders of our faith have relied on the lawyers of our church and its administrtive needs to override the spiritual/mystical body of the church. This MUST NOT BE!!! This has much to do with the structure of its hierarchy which is more like a monarchy and the elite royalty, which for years for many reasons have proven to be beyond reproach. The leaders have been aloof and removed from realities that we the laity must live each day. I am not sure how else to put it. But this doesn't mean there can't or won't be change.

I agree with Bob entirely...what the Church needs now is a person like Francis of Assisi. Someone who challenged the Pope and Cardinals of Rome when he wanted to begin the Franciscan order and they at first refused and sent him away. He persisted and eventually became on of the great influences for reform in the Church of his day.

We need this kind of purification and change. We may be witnessing just the begining.

I hope and pray that one day soon the leaders of our Church will truely, openly and honestly speak of all these failings (some have truely begun this process but many have not). It appears to me that the clergy members from religious orders are far more capable of empathy and true humility and resolve for change regarding the clergy abuse scandals....but far too many diocesan bishops are still clinging onto thier "role as CEO" rather than being the "shepard" they were called to be.

We seek a SPIRITUAL RESPONSE, not a legal one...WHEN WE THEY GET THIS? Who among them will "take the road less traveled"?
Mark

#76646 - 12/15/02 07:52 PM Re: Cardinal Law Resigns
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
I could go on for hours on this one. We need a much more inclusive church, we need total declericaliztion and the Bishops need to be servants not masters.

We make men bishops who would not know how to give a marriage instruction and fill out the papers if their lives depended on it. We need pastoral men, not yes men with scarlet fever as our bishops.

Incompetent, or crabby, miisfits need to go to the clerical funny farm and not be allowed to harm people because of their crabbiness.

Any bishop who transfered a known abuser in the past 15 years needs to resign and do simple pastoral work--preferably serving people with aids, dying children, work on oncology units or be chaplains to juvie hall--a taste of realilty would give them new life!

Bob

#76647 - 12/15/02 08:56 PM Re: Cardinal Law Resigns
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Bob, Amen to all that! And I mean for all churches
not just the RCC.

IMNSHO no one should be a bishop for a lifetime, they should always go back to spend time as priest of a local congregation, and also spend time doing the kinds of work you spoke of.

Otherwise it seems the power combined with the knowledge that its a lifetime tenure position seems almost inevitably to be just too corrupting or at least corrosive. Either power is abused or it is spent shuffling paperwork & maintaining the power structure. Instead of serving & helping others serve--which if they were doing it might help some priests/pastors have the kind of support that just might keep them from becoming sex offenders.

OK long enuf on this soapbox for this radical!

Wuame

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.