Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
freddie (65), Max10 (56), Medos (46), PJinLB (47), TheWookinizer (27), tofeno (40)
Who's Online
3 registered (traveler, wearytraveler, 1 invisible), 13 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63578 Topics
444190 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#76615 - 11/01/02 11:59 AM In the Spirit of Happiness: Spiritual Wisdom for Living
JamesMichael Offline
MaleSurvivor

The Monks of New Skete, Orthodox Christians famous for their dog training books, have written an incisive book on spirituality reminiscent of depth psychology and eastern (Christian) mysticism. Some exerpts that I think can edify all of us no matter what our spiritual foundations:

Let's be honest: anger, jealousy, envy, lust, cynicism, greed--are these not all present within every one of us? They are involuntary emotions, what the Orthodox Catholic tradition calls passions, that come and go. They arise from a normal, natural part of our personal landscape, energies that are neither good nor bad in themselves, but which certainly give color and texture to life. What a relief it would be to discover that we need not dance to their drumbeat! Our moral stature depends not on their presence or absence, but on whether we let them affect our behavior. This is why being aware of them in ourselves is so crucial.

And

By not acknowledging the reality of all that is inside of us, especially the emotions we are most ashamed of or embarrassed by, we allow them to metastasize into a vast army of personal demons with an astonishing power to control us. They drain our energy and constrict our freedom. Since our self-idol denies the very presence of these emotions, we have no way of effectively dealing with them when they unexpectedly erupt. We mistakenly interpret them as invading alien marauders. The threat of attack keeps us anxiously awaiting their next assault.

(In the Spirit of Happiness: Spiritual Wisdom for Living by the Monks of New Skete, 1999, Little, Brown, and Co.)

Be kind, we are all fighting a hard battle.

#76616 - 11/01/02 12:18 PM Re: In the Spirit of Happiness: Spiritual Wisdom for Living
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
JM:

Thanks a lot for sharing that! Very incisive & insightful.

You can't cap a volcano, you've got to vent it!

Take Care

Wuame

#76617 - 11/02/02 05:01 PM Re: In the Spirit of Happiness: Spiritual Wisdom for Living
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
;\)

I think it is well proven that a person's spirit and the life of the Spirit within is a key, the key, to health of mind and body.

It needs to be two pronged. We seek to get rid of our defects and to strengthen and develop virtues. In AA we say that we seek spiritual progress rather than spiritual perfection.

What seems sad it that the virtues mentioned in this book are unknown to so many. They have never discussed them nor wanted to develop them within them.

Thanks for sharing this good thought provoking material.

Bob

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.