Newest Members
Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss, JW1230
12363 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
40035 (55), Brayton (60), DavidJ (65), Grout (29), JJM33 (43), RockyMtJoe (66)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 22 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12363 Members
74 Forums
63535 Topics
443894 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#76588 - 07/24/02 05:37 PM The spiritual path
integrator Offline

Loc: New York
I've been knocking myself out in pursuit of spiritual integrity. I discovered my abuse a few years back, and have been recovering in all kinds of therapy and spiritual development work. I got married three years ago, after some 5 years of work.
Even at our marriage, it was clear that my wife was in denial. Three years later, she still deep in it. Yet, her lack of awareness, and excuses, trigger my rage every so often.
One thing I want to do is prepare myself for the possibility of divorce. She just is not committed to serious spiritual/psychotherapeutic work. Some emotional distance will also be helpful, and protect me.

#76589 - 07/24/02 07:26 PM Re: The spiritual path
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Integrator
Does it have to be serious, do we need to delve into it right back to the very roots of the guys who wrote the text books ?
Or can we just take what we need and leave the rest ?
Lloydy

#76590 - 07/24/02 10:33 PM Re: The spiritual path
orodo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Imladris, The Safe Haven of Ar...
I can relate to this, Integrator. My wife keeps telling me to "get over it" move on, stay out of chat, off the posts, ignore the therapist, fire the lawyer, and get on with life. I am at the point where I consider this relationship to be emotionally and spiritually abusive. But what can I do. I love my wife, even though she wants me dead, gone, or healed, and I love my kids dearly. They need me. So somehow I slug it out. And here I am posting again, regardless of whether I get caught.....he he he...

It is better to be Dragon Master than Dragon Slayer. Some Dragons are meant to be mastered, others meant to be slain. Odin, Great Spirit, God, grant me the wisdom to know the difference. "May the Valar guide and bless you on your path under the sky"

#76591 - 07/25/02 03:57 PM Re: The spiritual path
mrsunshineguy Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi integrator, Lloydy, and orodo,

I have been a bit of a road trip and thinking through stuff I have read here and other places, and thinking about me, my girlfriend/almostly wife, (also an SA survivor) recovery, and relationships and what is generically called spiritually.

I guess I am sort pondering this aloud, so please, please forgive my bluntness

Maybe for this conversation, if you could do me the favor of thinking of me as an 8 year old boy trying to understand this perspective; I sort of usually have to go back to that point to think things through to now.

- - - - - - - - -

What is spiritual integrity?

Why does that require the involvement of your wife?

Why drag your wife through your rage?

Why does your wife have to be committed to anything in order for you to get better?

Thanks,

Sunshine

#76592 - 07/25/02 09:19 PM Re: The spiritual path
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Sunshine
I agree completely, we should not place undue demands on our partners, any more than we should expect them to carry any part of our burden.
To expect, or worse, demand that they comply with our extraordinary demands is nothing more than trying to unload our abuse on them, a form of abuse in itself.

If, as I am, we are lucky enough to have a supportive partner we then have a responsibility to keep an eye open for them as well, but that's a natural part of a loving relationship.
Supportive partners do what they do because they love and care about us, and hopefully see the reasons for years of strange behaviours, and also see things getting better.

I have always offered my wife the chance to attend therapy with me, but she is ok without it and thats cool. She reads some of the stuff on here, but doesn't feel the need to participate.
She feels that her actions are listening to me, and supporting me, which she does without fail.
But her level of involvement is entirely up to her.

Which for me I guess can be called spiritual integrity, we both feel at ease with each others involvement with my problem, which makes for a stress free environment for both of us to deal with it. But we still grumble at each other about whose turn it is to clean the toilet !! But I suppose that's normal ?

Lloydy \:\)

#76593 - 07/26/02 12:49 PM Re: The spiritual path
integrator Offline

Thanks, guys. Nice to read what each of you has to say, and all your thought-provoking comments and support.
Yeah, detachment and integrity. I'm writing this at work, so please pardon my not acknowleding you guys individually. Ideally, there seems to be lots of pressure to just get over this, and be strong. Unfortunately, I am very aware that things have not just fallen into place, and I am wracked by anxieties and emotional turmoil without addressing the core lifestyle issues, like active acknowledgement of the issues, disavowal of denial and perpetrator complicity. I find this to be the substrate of assumptions at the very core of my relationships, including with my wife. Her patterns of denial often are in complicity with perpetrators. I find that silence on my part contributes to my experience of alienation and anxiety. The middle ground of confidence and self-assurance hasn't happened yet.
My understanding is that I am not in popular territory here, and find that I need to invent and innovate to acclimate at work when I can. However, it's not easy, and these conflicts are arising. In one recent encounter with crass manipulation from a third party in a financial transaction, I became strong and a little aggressive. It triggered my wife's denial and defensive pattern against me. The inversion from me as protector to her projection of me as perpetrator triggered me in the heat of things.
Sheer chaos. Her understanding remains limited and focussed on her projections of me as perpetrator. My social supports are limited, so that my recourse is to extra spiritual vigor in my interactions with her, and to socialize where I can independently to allow myself to regain composure.
Taking what I like is not always easy in the perpetrator complicity buffeting me, I've been finding, even after years of recovery. I am diving into 12 step recovery materials again as well as Buddhism to sustain and help orient my sense of confidence and balance and integrity.
Thank you everybody for your support and interest.

#76594 - 07/26/02 02:11 PM Re: The spiritual path
integrator Offline

It also occurred to me, guys, that although I've had periods of relative calm in my recovery path, attempting growth and pursuing ends like marriage and jobs, has not been simply followed by easy spiritual psychological transition for the relevant attitudes. I've been thrown and smashed emotionally and attitudinally, and sucked and set-up. For instance, the head of security where I work is a former cop and streetwise type, and in spite of my recovery commitment and his role in law enforcement, still a tension developed. My spiritual connection was reaffirmed in an important incident. I encountered him and aggressively addressed him, hey, have I ever told you that I was a volunteer neighborhood watch patrol officer (a "guardian angel")?
Well, he started harping on a well-known figure from this volunteer group, how she had tried to become a cop, and had stirred up some things about some minor improprieties of procedure. After catering to him and being sympathetic, I finally said, "Well, maybe they needed it."
"No" he said, "They're good guys."
This being in New York, I said, surrendering briefly to my higher power, "Like those guys who f'd up Louima. I'm sure they were good guys to0."
Well, I felt social-emotional lightning strike, as he mumbled something to his sidekick, and I went on my way with a harumph. I felt my higher power then. Next time I saw the guy, he was congenial as can be. I guess I exorcised at least one demon somewhere in the scheme of things. So much for that, and now on to the next one. Just where does neutral ground lie in the pushing and shoving perpetration and victimization of samsara? It's no summer breeze most of the time. Hey, look at the story of Batman. I guess I'm making my choice to sweep out the trash as consistently as I can, namely underlying assumptions and complicity with perpetrators.

#76595 - 07/26/02 04:04 PM Re: The spiritual path
integrator Offline

The question was posed, "Why does your wife have to be committed to anything for you to get better?"
Well, the answer to any question about this subject begins with my experience of feeling emotionally drained, both exhausted and strained, as a result of my daily choice of interactions. I have reached certain circumstances as a result of many healthy, empowering choices that I have made. Yet, extremely debilitating bouts of alienation and this emotional drainage leave me feeling on the verge of losing control of myself and my precious sanity.
At the same time, I recognize in my surroundings dysfunctional behavior, competition, some characteristic of our society, and some of its lunatic fringes. At the same time, normal standard behavior is not sympathetic to progressive thinking. It is materialistic and very often, intended to exploit for gain of some sort. The net effect is that it is in complicity with perpetrators at one level or another. I experience a drain, and that is what I am surrounded by. Rather than choose empty distractions that surround us, I choose ones which address the underlying issues, which are also surrounding us. Yet, the consequence is that things do not flow in exactly the same way. I am striving for spiritual guidance and wisdom to make it as painless and successful as possible, but the condition of the mainstream world is that it is filled with people who want to exploit something or someone, and it is going to take deft wisdom, and a little pain, to gain.
My wife is no different. If she was in on this with me already, hey, we'd be an all out team. Fate, and God, it seems, have not set things up like that. The world, that is to say, is in real deep do-do.
And I'm not going to lie down and take it where there is something awakened to be done. Life is one long wake up call, I guess.
Living with my wife has an effect on me. Finding my integrity has not been painless for me. If she is to continue as my wife, it is only natural that she's in for some ride. It gets easier for me as this becomes clear and I can acknowledge it in forums like this.
Thanks again guys. This was deep.

#76596 - 07/26/02 06:53 PM Re: The spiritual path
mrsunshineguy Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi integrator,

(I am beginning to understand your name choice \:\) \:\) )

I guess if I follow it right, your wife feels like you are perpish towards her, and you feel drained dealing with her?

Sorry, but being new here, I dont recall who in therapy, just starting into various stuff, etc., and I am not sure if you have said you have been or are in therapy . . . But if you have been or started into therapy, did they start with something called "boundaries?"

I am no therapist, on-line or in the real world, but I spend a Summer, a couple of years ago, pretty intensely in it, and boundaries were the first, first, first thing the T started with.

Translating the concept of boundaries back into my world, one needs good boundaries so that you dont trip over or step on others who happen to be close to you, and your stuff does not slop on them, and it gives you and others around you a safe "work space" for recovery.

Sort of like "good fences make good neighbors."

Conceptually, as I understand it, with good boundaries your stuff would not slop onto your wife while you were working on it, and you would not feel drained by interacting with her.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Super for you on the twelve-step stuff. I was amazed when I attended some of that with my girlfriend who is in AA, especially the first three steps . . . they were so much like so much of my own abuse recovery, it just amazed me. And so is a lot of the rest. That is part of why I am back in a group (here) so that I can really finish up my stuff right, and do some serious 12th step stuff.

We have even visited AA stuff in New York while visiting there. And like they say, it works when you work it. And dont miss out on the promises. They are very real. Claim them and make them your own.

One thing I still dont get . . . Sorry to be so dense, but I still do not get what Spiritual Integrity is . . . could you maybe explain that to me?

Thanks,

Sunshine

#76597 - 07/29/02 05:16 PM Re: The spiritual path
integrator Offline

Hey Sunshine,
Listen to you, just like the sun, casting your healing rays, aren't you. As for me, es that's me, kind of eclectic.
Spiritual integrity is my consistency in all areas of my life. In my life it has unfolded as a desire to protect the environment from rampant pollution. From working in grassroots activism to approach these issues through community organizing, then in social services, and through workshops, I have sought to instal and infuse my life with integrity, and spiritual integrity.
In this case, it helped ground me as I pondered this incident and its minutiae with my wife.
Boundaries. Yes, yes. Except, in the real world, and the vagaries of interaction, it is surrender to a healing higher power which helps guide me with the necessary innovation and creativity.
As for therapy, yes. I have done bunches of stints in therapy. A few different kinds, and I've just started with one recently, a line from Freud with a meditative focus that employs visualization on sources of wisdom and insight.
My wife, for her part, has rejected 12 step meetings and therapy, and sticks to books, tapes, friends, and me. To me it looks like that gives a little bit of a burden to me. She wants to do couples counseling, which I am refusing at the moment because of my belief in individual therapy as the root of resolving all conflict.
In the meantime, I would like to sustain using recovery materials to support communication with my wife. In the process, her lack of interest in psychodynamics became apparent. I focussed on that, and by the end of the conversation, she knew that word.
I wish the world were neat and clean so that verbal chastity would be the highest of virtues. F*** that. I also introduced my wife to George Carlin's routine, and Lenny Bruce's story.
It's a small planet. Think globally.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.