Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
7 registered (Bardo, highflight, Jay1946, Obi, Greg56, 1 invisible), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63648 Topics
444520 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#76341 - 12/15/06 01:56 AM Church
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I've never gone back since my Dad stopped making me go when I was like 12 or so. I bitched about not liking it and that I didn't fit in there. I never felt comfortable there. So he said I didn't have to go. I didn't want to turn away from God but that Church (Catholic) made me feel so out of place. I never felt liked I fit in.

I believe in God, but now I wonder if I was so disgusted with my abuse and all the other issues that manifested in my life that I let my anger and dissapointment be directed at him?

What am I suppoosed to do if I don't feel comfortable in a church?

I don't like the whole scenerio where you sit and stand and sit and stand and the Priest recites all sorts of passages in Old English that is barely understandable to me and you all pray prayers that say in so many words......."Oh God you're so big and powerful, we're all really very impressed down here, please don't destroy us, we will try to be good"

How many times do you have to tell God that you love him? How many times do you have to ask for forgiveness?

I would go to church if I just plain felt right about what they did there.

I never felt so out of place as at a church, and yet I feel like I'm missing something too.

Hell, I don't know.

#76342 - 12/15/06 02:37 AM Re: Church
Halibut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Alaska
Hi Hauser,

I can appreciate your being mad at God-- why didn't the BIG GUY simply end the abuse or prevent it.

But we don't go to Church to satisfy God, we go so he can satisfy us. God doesn't go on an ego trip b/c we say God is great. We go so we can hear God tell us the meaning of life, "Love one another as I have loved you"-exactly the opposite of abuse. We go b/c we need to know that even after unwarranted suffering there is hope and ressurection. We go for us, not God

There's a void in your life, if the Catholic Church you were raised in doesn't work for you, find another. It's like clothes, find something that fits you.

Happy hunting, Halibut

#76343 - 12/15/06 08:54 PM Re: Church
phoster Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ohio
it is easy to let the world drive you away from God. many do.

you know church refers to the body of Christ. it simply means a collection of those that believe Christ is Lord. it isnt a building, and you dont need a building to be saved and love God.

when Christ died the mantle in the temple split. it was symbolic that the path was now open to everyone. you do not need a priest to aproach God as you once did. Now you only need to call on Christ's name.

you know, i would love to fellowship with others that believe, but i cannot support the rapture doctrine that has ran through the churches of the world. for me to know what i know and support something that is misleading so many would be a very bad sin. what i face is that there is no building i can belong to, but i know i belong to the body, and that is what counts.

take your case to God, and dont worry about the buildings or sects. you dont need them to be with God now days.

#76344 - 12/15/06 09:53 PM Re: Church
Paul1959 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NYC
Hauser,
Go on a spiritual trek - ask God to show himself to you, ask him to lead you to a place where you can feel comfortable. Try it, and see what happens. You can't sit at home all day for it to work, but start going to any place that looks interesting and stay away from those that give you a knot in your stomach. Stay spiritual - avoid religion.
Paul

#76345 - 12/15/06 09:57 PM Re: Church
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Thank you

#76346 - 12/15/06 10:40 PM Re: Church
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
I think its up to you, I fell out with the church, but that was because I did not feel right in that place of worship.

Far better to be part of mass in my Cathedral with a Bishop saying mass, like he is the one God chose to be his voice.

I went to every church service as a kid, every day almost, crying to God, so I guess he knows me pretty well, I guess he knows you too, and all the guys here.

If you are a good man in life, you dont need a preacher to tell you Gods way, you will already be following it,

ste

#76347 - 12/17/06 02:49 AM Re: Church
froggy12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Marlboro, MA 01752
Well gents,
I went to 12 years of Catholic School, was an altar boy (did not get molested). I was on an icebreaker in the Antarctic oceans and my world started to fall apart. All that I was raised to believe: church, country suddenly didn't seem to live to what I was taught. There was no one I could talk to about my fears, doubts and all that good stuff. For some odd reason young hormonal sailors are really not interested in these problems. So I dropped the wondering and went on my merry way.
Eventally as some have said above, I concluded God is not in a building, God is in the goodness in all of us.
Why we were allowed to be messed up I don't know. Why are innocents allowed to be molested? I don't know. I have yelled at God: Hey you Mr God, what the fuck are doing to me and my friends? Mr God did not reply. So I came to the conclusion that here in this MS place, God is sort of with us since we can console each other, we can see the goodness in all of us; we give support to our friends in anguish, a good wish, a pat/hug, all this is God working thru us. So we have not been abandoned even though it seems that Alice In Wonderland has nothing on us in our own fantasy world. We give each other hope because some of us have reached that level and that's what keeps us going. Do not give up.

Your friend Froggy12

#76348 - 12/17/06 05:34 AM Re: Church
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
Hauser - You're talking about an area in which survivors struggle to make sense. It took me quite a few years to work through my relationship with God and one heck of a struggle to relate back through the church. My perp really warped my spiritual relationships. It wasn't until I began to understand myself, who God is for me and then "our" relationship began to clear itself and iniated my journey back to Him. My deepest darkest spiritual moments were in answering "where was God in all of my abuses". These answers helped me know the shape of the church I needed to feel and know and maintain my spiritual connection with God. But I know the journey, though hard and long, was absolutely worth it!! I encourage you to trake what breaks you need but to pursue your spiritual healing! My prayers accompany you on your journey!!

Howard

#76349 - 12/19/06 05:24 PM Re: Church
sis Offline

Loc: Arizona
."Oh God you're so big and powerful, we're all

really very impressed down here, please don't destroy us, we will try to be good"

Hauser
this quote is why i went on my own spiritual quest. Makes no sense to me either. as paul said go on your own spiritual search. you can do it through quiet times with a higher power. just make your needs known and you'll find the answers your looking for. You will by chance meet someone who will have the answer or by chance you run across a book or by chance you will be led to your own serenity. I say by chance only because that's the way it works for me. i don't call it chance though, i call it answers to my questions put out there to the universe. Experiencing spirituality is much different than experiencing religion. I have heard this quote "religious people are afraid to go to hell, spiritual people have already been there" Your answers will come to you and they don't have to be someone elses. light and luv, sis

#76350 - 12/20/06 02:32 AM Re: Church
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hauser,

I like Paul's answer. God isn't as complicated as many organized religions make him out to be. Too many people put him in a box and expect him to submit to their ideas of who he ought to be.

God has a place where you can feel comfortable and in connection with him. It may be in a church or it may be in the woods or elsewhere, and it will change as your journey changes.

Ask him to take you on the journey you need to be on.

Lots of love,

John

#76351 - 12/20/06 11:19 PM Re: Church
sis Offline

Loc: Arizona
John
Yes, perfect, ask god to take you on the journey you're supposed to be on. The answers will come. I hope anyone searching for answers finds the ones that fit into their own lives. i wish everyone a spiritual connection that makes them happy. light and luv, sis

#76352 - 01/07/07 06:14 PM Re: Church
Kenn Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto, Canada
This has been a nice thread for reflection.

In spite of everything that has happened, I don't think I've ever blamed God. Maybe I've just never believed that God lets shit happen but, instead, is a refuge - the go-to-"guy" - when shit happens.

God (He, She and/or It) has always been found in that place where my breath goes and almost runs out.

God has been found in beauty that I cannot get enough of.

God has been found in mystery (my nickname for God is, in fact, Mystery).

Peace,

Kenn

William Shakespeare, Hamlet

#76353 - 01/07/07 11:01 PM Re: Church
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Dont forget Kenn, if God really was born, and I hasten to add that history will back this up, then he will have found the bestial side of man, who never knew how to nurture his young.

Anybody who was good was frowned upon, as evil and worthy of death.
Innocence has always been a sacrifice for the evil amongst man.

"Those who have witnessed the dark of man, will find incredible light in their next life".
"Those who have lived in past dark and never listened to the Lord will live in eternal darkness".

"Those who fill the little ones with the darkness of their own souls shall be dealt with the same millstone as they caste on a childs life for eternity and will walk in the wilderness forever"

That is my quotes;

In other words, I am saying, dont turn a childs life into nothing.
The suffering on Earth is nothing compared to eternal happiness.

If we are good on Earth, God will embrace us in his arms as the little lambs he put amongst his flock,

ste

#76354 - 01/07/07 11:27 PM Re: Church
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

how mny times does god get to let you down? if i think of all the people who let me down gods had more chances than any of them ,at least he's consistent. church ? church is where people go to be forgiven all the shit they did this week ,then they can start a new week with a clean slate,and do it all over again ,the curch that i am pretty much forced to go to is filled with people who want to help ,but they dont want to help me or the homeless guy down the street ,they want to ensure a place at gods side by converting people to their way of thinking ,so if they save me they dont do it out of any concern for me ,its just to get a mark in gods big book ,its a joke !but the jokes on them cause they didnt change how i feel they just showed me its better for me to not show it. yeah i been saved ,heh saved from having to listen to any of their b.s. . god wont help you you know that right?

/
?

#76355 - 01/08/07 02:06 AM Re: Church
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
The question to ask is not how many times has God let you down, but how many times has God picked you up?

- Mel Brooks

#76356 - 01/08/07 02:09 AM Re: Church
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

oh no im staying outta this one !!!lol

#76357 - 01/14/07 03:42 AM Re: Church
Brokenhearted Offline

Loc: TX
I heard a man the other day talk about God/Jesus. He was saying how we all want perfect lives and some people get upset when everything doesn't go their way, or esp. if pain and suffering come their way. The man pointed out that, as he thought about it, he realized that the God most people follow (Jesus) was CRUCIFIED! He did not have the comfortable, cushy life of a king but was born in a stable and later spit on, scurged, etc. So think about this for a moment and then compare our bad times to His. (I might get crucified for writing this but I hope not). The Serenity Prayer is a good one that made me realize something. We aren't put here to "be happy", we are put here to follow Him no matter what our lives are like and to love others. I know that without Him I would feel a lot less joy and hope, and would have a lot less strength to get through the crap in life. I like how this poem says we can hope to be "reasonably happy" in our short lives on earth, but can expect to be "supremely happy" with Him in heaven:

God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
enjoying one moment at a time,
accepting hardship as the pathway to peace;
taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is,
not as I would have it;
trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His will;
that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
and supremely happy with Him forever
in the next. Amen.

*Surrendering* to His will is the hardest part for most people.

It were better for him that a millstone were hanged around his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
Luke 17:2

#76358 - 01/14/07 03:57 AM Re: Church
Brokenhearted Offline

Loc: TX
Also Adam when you said "they want to ensure a place at gods side by converting people to their way of thinking ,so if they save me they dont do it out of any concern for me ,its just to get a mark in gods big book" ----- 'But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7)

Actions done with bad motives are despised by God: http://www.godandscience.org/doctrine/heartgod.html

It were better for him that a millstone were hanged around his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
Luke 17:2

#76359 - 01/21/07 09:00 AM Re: Church
AshSurvived Offline

Loc: Australia
I felt I would like to respond to the comments about the journey and finding God in your own way. I was intially worried I might offend someone and speak out of turn, but then I saw Shadowkid had beaten me to it.

I just wanted to say that my journey led me to Atheism. So if you really want to take that journey you may end up where I am, and that may not be where you want to be. I still think about religion and I try hard not to be like Richard Dawkins and make a living from trying to purge people of their 'erroneous beliefs'.

But I am sure there are virtual churches. I have found a major virtual ex-christian community that was helpful to me for a while, so I'm sure similar things exist for non-ex-religious types.

Have you tried Beliefnet. If not, I think you would get a great deal out of it. I argue too much if I go there, so I stopped myself.

If you are feeling you may want to explore a post-religious outlook, I highly reccommend the very non-Dawkins, very non-overhyped-bestseller 'Religion Explained' by Pascal Boyer. It is what it says. I am only halfway through it and it's a difficult read, I need to be very clear headed to concentrate, but it's very rewarding if you like anthropology and psychology and someone who criticises the critics and really endevours to be gentlemanly and inclusive about his work.

He talks about religious people from many cultures as 'his friends'. And really takes the 'educated classes' to task for their 'erroneous thinking'.

- Harvey Pekar to David Letterman
(American Splendour)

#76360 - 01/21/07 03:24 PM Re: Church
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

I always thought that atheism must be extremely difficult to maintain.

- Mel Brooks

#76361 - 01/21/07 05:15 PM Re: Church
shadowkid Offline
MaleSurvivor

almost as difficult as maintaining faith,in a world thats going crazy

#76362 - 01/22/07 04:46 AM Re: Church
AshSurvived Offline

It's difficult to forego the benefits of religion, but I haven't looked back. I can indulge my wonder in science and the arts without boundaries that I had before, so for me it's a good trade.

I see that humans tend toward religion, and I find religion in atheists too, which is why I like Boyer's critique. Because you don't have to be properly religious to think religiously and that for me was the hardest part, to undo the religious thinking.

(American Splendour)

#76363 - 01/22/07 03:28 PM Re: Church
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Quote:
Originally posted by AshSurvived:
It's difficult to forego the benefits of religion, but I haven't looked back. I can indulge my wonder in science and the arts without boundaries that I had before, so for me it's a good trade.
How do you account for the fact that the vast majority of great artists and scientists were also men of deep faith? Does this affect your enjoyment of their work? For example, Einstein sought to find the hand of God in physics. What does his work bring to you? I am not asking this to attack. I want your perspective, because I am unable to see these works without seeing God in them.

Quote:
I see that humans tend toward religion, and I find religion in atheists too, which is why I like Boyer's critique. Because you don't have to be properly religious to think religiously and that for me was the hardest part, to undo the religious thinking.
Atheists do not have a religion. The word atheos means "without God." If atheists had religion, they would be "something-ists" and not "atheists." By their very definition of themselves they are without religion.

I think that by "religion" what you are referring to is "ritualised behaviour." I agree. I have met several atheists who seem to me to lead very ritualised lives. Makes you think.

Ash, could you expand on what you mean by this quote?

"Because you don't have to be properly religious to think religiously and that for me was the hardest part, to undo the religious thinking."

How do you define "religious" and "thinking religiously" in the context of your atheism? What part of "religious thinking" did you need to undo?

Take care,

Nobby

- Mel Brooks

#138734 - 01/23/07 12:20 PM Re: Church [Re: Nobbynobs]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

What the Hell would we have without our spirituality, a little part of us that believes there is some cool place to go when we die!
I still have strong religious beliefs, even if its the times when God seemed to step in and help.
Its unbelievable for me to think how I avoided death when I was a trucker, but someone not of this life must have saved me!

Wish I knew why??

ste

#138783 - 01/23/07 09:43 PM Re: Church [Re: reality2k4]
shadowkid Offline
MaleSurvivor

what about men like da vinci,or newton ? who believed in a different version of the bible and christians , i dont believe in god ,i do believe in jesus ,but not as a superhuman being ,but as a mortal man how could a god ever tell us to live as he did? we are mortal men we cant be gods but we can be like jesus ,if we really wanted to. if you look in places that the cuurch doesnt like you to ,you might find that jesus had a real family ,mom dad wife and children .is that eaiser to believe than saying jesus just like happened ? imaculate conception?

#139167 - 01/26/07 09:27 PM Re: Church [Re: shadowkid]
AshSurvived Offline

Look I'd love to keep fuelling this thread, but I just don't want to. I had a think about it, and it's not what I'm into right now.

The problem for me is that I can't do chit-chat about the most important things in the universe at the moment. I take self delusion deadly seriously right now, and if I get into this anymore it'll be with claws, and that will just be pointless.

It's why I dropped out of uni last year as a mature age entry. I just realised I didn't want or need a degree in polite dinner table conversation. Maybe I will reach a point where I can talk all nonchalant about this sort of thing, but it really bothers me, it might always. I'm not sure I could talk casually about suicide planning or self harming either just at the moment.

I think it has a lot to do with my need to save the world, I get very caught up with other people's problems, and I need to create distance from that. Maybe when I realise no one cares, and everyone is more than happy to live under any delusion that takes their fancy, maybe when I can accept that, perhaps I will be able to let go.

(American Splendour)

#139170 - 01/26/07 09:41 PM Re: Church [Re: AshSurvived]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Ash,

Just want to offer you a good, safe hug. Hope you don't mind.

John

#139442 - 01/29/07 06:09 PM Re: Church [Re: WalkingSouth]
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey Haus,

I saw your original post last month and wanted to say something but opted out. I don't why I want to say something tonight but maybe it's because I have had a crisis of faith myself...but I think that I've found a way around it, not particularly fighting it straight on or fighting it all. I come from a totally involved church life. My wife and I met in church when we were kids. I have been the president of the chuch council, sang in choir and men's chorus and was trained as a teacher of small group leaders. And, while my congregation is involved with all sorts of community efforts of helping kids get clothes for school and their parents to have food on the table and for women and their children to have protection from abusive husbands, I chose to remove myself from the liturgy of praising him for this or that and asking him for forgiveness for falling short. I will devote myself to one or two of these social agencies such as Doctors Without Borders or International Mercy Corps. Somehow just doing it directly for others is enough for me right now, I'll leave the psalm singing to someone else for the time being.
Peace, Houser, we'll all get there if we continue watch out for one another.

David

#139641 - 01/30/07 10:04 PM Re: Church [Re: Ivanhoe]
GWsurvives Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Atlanta, and here, among othe...
I too, have a huge problem with "god".. I was rasied in the baptist church.. you know, where "god looks over the sparrow, so he surely looks over me" ? WTF?? He made my perp! SO does god just not love me? or... does he simply not exist? When I was 12 it was much easier to believe that he did not exist than he simply didn't love me. 30 years latter, I have questions, but no answers.

#139650 - 01/30/07 11:04 PM Re: Church [Re: GWsurvives]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
If I may offer a perspective... And it's certainly open for rebuttal.

I know that God made people as free-moral agents. We have the power of choice. We can choose all kinds of things without being forced. I felt one time that in order to exercise my power of choice, I would have to be left alone to make my choice. I recall certain times when my parents chose for me, and I hated that. I wanted to make my choice. I did not want them standing in the way of my choice. I wanted to see for myself. Sometimes I chose wisely. Other times I chose poorly, but I still made my choice.

That being said, if I was making a choice that I believed with all my might was the right one at the time, I would not want someone standing in my way, even God. I never expect God to appear out of the blue and say "No! This will not be!' For God to choose for me, I would become a slave, or a robot. I want to make my choices. If I choose to love God, that makes it genuine love and not forced. For the same token, God will not stand in the way of someone choosing evil, from the smallest infraction to the greatest of sins. I am a free-moral agent. So is/was my perp.

What happened to me is the consequence of someone choosing evil. Is it fair? Not by a longshot. Is it free-moral agency? Completely. But to blame God for an evil person's choice just doesn't strike me as properly-placed blame.

In regards to a perp, God did not create a perp. God created a baby. Later on, someone else made him/her into a perp through their bad choices. That does not excuse what he/she did as a perp by any stretch. He/she committed wrong and should pay for it.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#139835 - 02/01/07 03:40 AM Re: Church [Re: FormerTexan]
pietie Offline

Loc: South Africa
I struggled with this questions myself. I came to the same conclussion that men are free to choose. You have the choice to believe in God or not, to look for help or not, to... you get the picture. God did not make your perp do what he wanted to it was his own choice.

Why did God allow it? I do not know but I think it comes back to the freedom to choose.

In my own situation I must confess that had it not been for my realtionship with God - and I am not referring to any religious movement - I would not have survived. I tried commiting suicide more times than I care to remember. In that sense I feel God did not allow it to be succesfull. Just think of the devastation it would have caused the family left behind.

Somebody once asked me what would I do if the same thing happened to one of my boys and I replied that I would be furious and cry for my boys sake. He then replied that in that case don't I think that God is also furious and cried for what happened to me - and in this case to all of us?

I find my strength of working through my issues with Him and I believe I found this site due to Him as well as I have been praying for a long time to get help from people that understand.

I hope I did not offend anybody but this is what I feel and I will not deny my feelings any longer \:\)

#141431 - 02/13/07 06:26 PM Re: Church [Re: pietie]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Pietie,

I noticed that nobody replied to your post so I will.

Quote:
I find my strength of working through my issues with Him and I believe I found this site due to Him as well as I have been praying for a long time to get help from people that understand.

I hope I did not offend anybody but this is what I feel and I will not deny my feelings any longer \:\)

Amen to that!

- Mel Brooks

#141447 - 02/13/07 07:50 PM Re: Church [Re: Nobbynobs]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks for sharing pietie. I didn't see your post earlier. I like it. A very simple statement of faith. Awesome.

John

#141457 - 02/13/07 08:09 PM Re: Church [Re: WalkingSouth]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

not sure if i belive in the whole god thing...did a little church as a child..then nothing...when i started this healing thing...started a catholic thing to learn thier ways..dropped out of that..so thats it..

#141480 - 02/13/07 10:51 PM Re: Church [Re: sabata]
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

sabata, it takes time. The important thing is to be good to yourself and just let things take their course. Your answers will come.

- Mel Brooks

#141493 - 02/13/07 11:55 PM Re: Church [Re: Nobbynobs]
shadowkid Offline
MaleSurvivor

i think faith is a very personal thing and many people have faith in many different things ,isnt faith about you ? for you ? so even if your the only one that believes, if you truly believe then it will help you a lot.faith is a good thing cause its really part of hope. someday i hope to be able to have the kind of faith that guys have in god ,in real people, people i can trust ,people who care .i think its takes a lot of faith in other people to really heal this crap . finding this site gave me hope that my faith in people could be right

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.