\:D Well, so far so good. This is an extremely satisfying process for me, though I think it unlikely that many people will stick with the entire narrative and exposition. So it is.
:rolleyes: In addition, there were classes and workshops to be had, beginning with self-hypnosis, shamanism, shiatsu, and yoga. Later, training in hypnotherapy seemed desirable for me. There were workshops and conferences by prominent holistic and progressive figures, and drumming lessons with a famous worldmusic drummer. Many interesting things of this sort contributed to my growing awareness of the depth and range of perspectives of activism and health.
A major one was Louise Hay's work. Her message is one that dissatisfaction and frustration with failure can be traced to a single, insulting message in the back of someone's mind. That message is that the person is not good enough. Her approach is a direct use of language and words to condition the mind and direct its focus. She advocates using positive messages to meet the needs. Thus, she recognizes that her clients have concerns which seem to originate with that one shameful, blaming thought, "I'm not good enough." Her solution, then, revolves around addressing the issue by actively articulating recuperative and convalescent thoughts, or positive affirmations, like, "I am willing to change," "I am willing to release any necessary resistance to change", and "I am willing to release the patterns in my consciousness responsible for my unhappiness and failure.", "I am willing to learn to love myself", and "If there is a way for me to develop a healthy and successful attitude about life, it would be make me very honored to experience it." And so on. Stuart Smalley joked about it, in a good way, with his book, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and Doggone it, people like me", and in his movie, "Stuart Saves his family."
It turns out, as I've since learned, that Emil Coue in France developed a similar approach. His famous phrase was "every day, and in every way, I'm getting better and better." Louise Hay's approach itself came from the Church of Religious Science, which was influenced in part by Christian Science, which has a similar message. Freud himself developed his de>