Newest Members
RepressedMem, jet_step, JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut
12468 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AndyP (48), Gaius (50), JoziSA (52), mmafan66 (48), nltsaved (36), RMM (52), Steve63 (51), zenboy (51)
Who's Online
6 registered (RepressedMem, don64, Rich1967, 3 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12468 Members
74 Forums
64026 Topics
446813 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#75790 - 02/05/03 05:40 PM Tori Amos
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Tori Amos--Her Story

At the age of 22, Tori was raped by a fan in 1984 when she offered to give him a ride home after a performance. This man held her hostage and raped and tortured her for hours. The rape left Tori silent for many years until she saw "Thelma and Louise" in a movie theater, which triggered an emotional response in her, reminding her of her own rape. It was then that she began to heal. Within hours, she had written "Me and A Gun, an a cappela song that gives a chilling account of her rape. Tori sings this song at almost every performance.

Me and A Gun -Tori Amos

5 am Friday morning

Thursday night far from sleep
I'm still up and driving
Can't go home obviously

So I'll just change direction cause they'll soon know where I live
And I want to live
Got a full tank and some chips
It was me and a gun and a man on my back
And I sang "holy holy" as he buttoned down his pants
You can laugh, it's kind of funny
The things you think in times like these
Like I haven't seen Barbados so I must get out of this

Yes I wore a slinky red thing
Does that mean I should spread
For you, your friends, your father, Mr Ed
Was Me and a gun and a man on my back
But I haven't seen Barbados so I must get out of this

And I know what this means
Me and Jesus, a few years back, used to hang
And he said, "It's your choice babe, just remember
I don't think you'll be back in 3 days' time,
So you choose well"
Tell me what's right, is it my right
To be on my stomach
Of Fred's Seville
It's me and a gun and a man on my back

And do you know Carolina, where the biscuits are soft and sweet
These things go through your head
When there's a man on your back
You're pushed flat on your stomach, it's not a classic Cadillac

Me and a gun and a man on my back
I haven't seen Barbados so I must get out of this

~Me And A Gun~

"Me and A Gun is NOT about HIM. It's more about me forgiving myself. I made a commitment not to be a victim again, by writing and by singing as often as I can Me and A Gun. It's like I refuse now to be a victim of my own guilt." - Tori Amos

"I was kidnapped and sexually violated. You feel like your boundaries have been crossed to such an extent that there is no law anymore, that there is no God. You feel like the Mother in you will do anything to protect the child in you from being shredded before your very eyes. You're thinking 'I gotta get out alive, I gotta get out alive.' With Me and A Gun, I hope that attackers as well as victims are listening. As well as judges, as well as lawyers. I want you to taste in the back of your mouth what it was like to be in the car with that pervert." - Tori Amos

"I survived this torture which left me paralyzed for years. That's what that night was all about, mutilation, more than violence through sex. I really do feel as though I was psychologically mutilated that night and now I'm trying to put the pieces back together again. Through love, not hatred. And through my music. My strength has been to open again, to life, and my victory is the fact that, despite it all, I kept alive my vulnerability." - Tori Amos

Victor

#75791 - 02/05/03 08:45 PM Re: Tori Amos
Wifey1 Offline

Victor,
Thank you for bringing Tori Amos to light on this board. Our youngest daughter is a huge fan of hers, and shared her music with us several years ago. She is an incredible survivor, and inspiring to so many!
So many of her lyrics truly are moving & when this mom has a case of the boo hoos our youngest daughter often repeats bits of her lyrics as inspiration to keep moving forward....
Peace Wifey1
ps recently daugh was at yet another of her concerts & had her pic taken with Tori she was so excited she called home a few moments after screaming with glee at this!! \:\)

#75792 - 02/05/03 10:45 PM Re: Tori Amos
Wuamei Offline

Wow Wifey1, that must have been a real blessing for your daughter, and for you!

Victor

#75793 - 02/06/03 12:04 AM Re: Tori Amos
RickL Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oregon
Hey Victor,
I'm glad you checked out Tori Amos and I'm really glad you posted this here! You just may become a fan! ;\)
Rick

#75794 - 02/06/03 02:27 AM Re: Tori Amos
Aptrick Offline

Loc: Nashville,Tennessee
Thanks for posting a bit a Tori; Ive been a fan for almost ten years. I remember first hearing her (Silent all these Years was the song) I thought wow the 'chick' has got problems! I couldn't understand what she was singing, then one day it clicked inside me and I realized that she had many wonderful things to say. Her songs have helped me through these years. *sob* I love her! Really, she's fabulous; Im going to see her the 23rd of this month!

#75795 - 02/06/03 07:42 PM Re: Tori Amos
Wuamei Offline

Rick: Thanks for turning me on to Tori Amos. I checked out a lot of her lyrics & found some really good ones. Haven't found a way to listen to her sing yet without downloading Kaza or something, which always seems to give my temperamental computer problems. Maybe when I can I'll just get the CD "Little Earthquakes." Or maybe I'll take a chance & download some if I can.

Anyway I thot posting some of her story & these lyrics might be helpful for some of us; I know it helps me.

Aptrick: Hey I'm glad this speaks to you; it speaks to me too! And I haven't even heard Tori yet! At least not that I'm aware of; I stopped intentinally listening to current music pretty much after the 70's. Still I kinda envy you being able to go to her concert; maybe I should check around and see if she's gonna be out this way. I know to hear her singing "Me and a Gun" would be very moving & powerful. And I need something to move me, to help me feel. [img]http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/alles_moegliche/allesmoegliche027[/img]
Meanwhile enjoy the concert, friend!

Victor

#75796 - 05/04/03 11:36 PM Re: Tori Amos
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
hey thanx Wuamie, took some time but i found it.
i wish i had an outlet for all this sh*t like Tori does but then again i wish none of this sh*t ever happened-to any of us.
Logan

-Blade Runner

#75797 - 05/05/03 06:50 AM Re: Tori Amos
Wuamei Offline

Logan,

For me a lot of things have become outlets, some good & some not so good, none quite like what Tori
can do with her voice of course. But then we all each have our own gifts & abilities.

Yeah ideally I wish none of this damned abuse had happened to me. Yet if it hadn't, if my life hadn't gone as it has, would I even know my wonderful wife? Would my kids even exist? Would I be alive or dead in a gutter somewhere long ago? Would I be on my way to heaven, or hell?...

Sure, I wish there was NO SA, that we could stamp it all out once & for all. That's the plan...

Victor

#75798 - 05/05/03 08:16 PM Re: Tori Amos
liminal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Detroit Metro
Thanks for posting her story. i started listening to tori after the choirgirl hotel cd came out and had a pretty strong feeling she was a survivor after listening to it. Though at the time i assumed it happened when she was an adolescent and i didn't know any of the details.

#75799 - 05/05/03 09:04 PM Re: Tori Amos
Wuamei Offline

Liminal,

RickL just recently turned me on to Tori's music &
now I've got a copy of "Little Earthquakes" which
includes "Me and a Gun" accapella. Powerful CD I find myself listening to more & more. Tori is a powerful survivor with several survivor websites carrying her name; she is a founder of RAINN.

I'm still looking for a Tori concert in the area
that I can get to at the right time.

Victor

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.