Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beyond Abuse (51), dona (55), JoMiFa (35), norbrill1 (62), RubyRoberts (62)
Who's Online
3 registered (sentry, 2 invisible), 48 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63111 Topics
441344 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#75724 - 02/01/03 11:53 PM Comfortably Numb
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
"Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd

Hello.
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone home?

Come on, now.
I hear you're feeling down.
Well I can ease your pain,
Get you on your feet again.

Relax.
I need some information first.
Just the basic facts:
Can you show me where it hurts?

There is no pain, you are receding.
A distant ship's smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're sayin'.
When I was a child I had a fever.
My hands felt just like two balloons.
Now I got that feeling once again.
I can't explain, you would not understand.
This is not how I am.
I have become comfortably numb.

Ok.
Just a little pinprick.
There'll be no more --Aaaaaahhhhh!
But you may feel a little sick.

Can you stand up?
I do believe it's working. Good.
That'll keep you going for the show.
Come on it's time to go.

There is no pain, you are receding.
A distant ship's smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're sayin'.
When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse,
Out of the corner of my eye.
I turned to look but it was gone.
I cannot put my finger on it now.
The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb.

Victor

#75725 - 02/02/03 11:59 AM Re: Comfortably Numb
Mark S Offline

Loc: England
Victor.

Thank you for putting the lyric down for this, my favourite song.

I used to play drums in a band. As well as origional material, we covered songs by The Stones, The Who and Pink Floyd to name a few. Comfortably Numb was always my favourite. It's so odd I have NEVER listened to lyrics, always being drawn to the music.

I think it's about time I trawled through my many 100's of cd's and looked at them in a different way.

Thanks for cheering a day that had been a crap as a few others recently.

Mark

#75726 - 02/02/03 03:05 PM Re: Comfortably Numb
Wuamei Offline

Mark:

Glad the lyrics are cheering you up a bit, friend!
The thing I like about Pink Floyd is that while their songs can seem overly pessimistic, they make me think, and they really give me hope. I guess becuz there is power in admitting the kinds of feelings their songs express. Takes power out of my problems, & helps me look beyond them. Their stuff is so right on!

It is so cool that you played drums in a rock band! My daughter is trying to learn drums, from friends, no lessons. While at college she has left it here at the house, and sometimes I like to try to play to some favorites. Don't do all that great, but not too bad for never playing. More than anything it's therapeutic, a good release of stress or anger.

OK I'm gonna post another Pink Floyd...

Take care Mark

Victor

#75727 - 02/02/03 03:37 PM Re: Comfortably Numb
Mark S Offline

Victor.

That's one thing I miss regarding my playing. Whacking seven shades out of my kit.

Seriously, I remember being totally involved in our gigs, but never listening to one lyric. It seems very odd and up till now hadn't thought about it. Obviously I worked with the bassist and when learning new material read the music and worked from a click track.

I like your taste in music. I've been listening to Floyd this afternoon. What you say is true for me too. I've also watched The Wall, it stirred up a few emotions but then isn't that what music is supposed to be about.

I also find Barber's Adagio for strings VERY moving.

Where do you get the lyrics from?

Thanks again. Enjoy your drumming

Mark

#75728 - 02/02/03 04:28 PM Re: Comfortably Numb
Wuamei Offline

Mark:

I just do an online search for the lyrics I want. Usually there are a few places I can choose from for any given song. For instance I just did a search "Lyrics to Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen, and got places like http://www.musiclinks.nl/songteksten
[URL=http://www.findmidis.com/plyrics.go/874, http://www.findmidis.com/plyrics.go/874,...plyrics.go/874, [url=http://www.lyrics.net.ua/song/20204[/URL]]http://www.lyrics.net.ua/song/20204[/URL][/url] to choose from.

The music was always most important to me, and maybe key phrases of lyrics I would pick out. I didn't usually bother to listen intently and really learn all the words and grasp their meaning for me. That has come mostly since I began recovery, the last year and a half or so.

Mark, I gather you're not playing in a band anymore. Do you still have drums? Do you ever play them, just for yourself? Just wondering, maybe it could be very therapeutic for you.

I always tended to like the drummers best in groups like The Beatles, The Monkees, Genesis...

Mark, TC & TTYL

Victor

#75729 - 02/03/03 01:37 PM Re: Comfortably Numb
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Comfortablt Numb ? been there......
didn't like it.

Floydy - no that's Lloydy
( I'm getting my wucking mords fuddled ! ) \:D

#75730 - 02/03/03 03:36 PM Re: Comfortably Numb
Archnut Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Thanx Mark

What memories

"Comfortably Numb" been there...... Loved every minute of it although it nearly killed me.

How I long sometimes for that chemically induced oblivion....I couldnt be touched.

And all that was left was hope

Archnut

Personally speaking I'm a YES nut off to see them in Birmingham in July. Cant wait \:\) \:\) \:\)

#75731 - 02/03/03 03:37 PM Re: Comfortably Numb
Mark S Offline

Hi Victor.

Thanks for the links. I'll spend some time searching out lyrics to some of my favourite songs.

Sadly I sold my Kit about five years ago. It was heart wrenching, I'd had it for many years. After my surgery I completely lost my co-ordination. I did try to get back gigging, hooking up with my old rhythm and lead guitarist and convinceing my brother-in-law to get and learn the bass. Gigging was never really an option, though it was definately therapeutic, a kind of physio and stress management in one.

I still love live music. One of our old band members still moves in music circles, In fact he knows the sound engineer who worked on the Dave Gilmour at the Royal Festival Hall gig. A gig I was at. It was the last gig I went too. You mentioned The Monkees. I went to their reunion tour. The one that included Mike Nesmith and Peter Tork as well as Davy Jones and Mickey Dolenz, it was good fun. On my 29th birthday I was at the Stones gig at the old Wembly Stadium. I think that was one of my favourites, together with Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon tour at Earls Court. I was in the front row on that occasion, fantastic. You mentioned Bohemium Rapsody, Queen. Another great band. I had tickets to see them at Knebworth, but sadly was in hospital at the time.

Still that's enough reminising about the past. I'm in a MUCH better place today. My physio therapist got me on an exercise bike earlier, it was great fun. Exercise is something I haven't done since before my op too. There is new research that suggests exercise can help my condition, so instead of being told to rest all the time, I'm being encouraged to start taking gentle exercise. Not that I need encouragement, I'll need holding back!! Whilst I'm only eight stone I'm soooo unfit.

Thanks again. Sorry for rambling and getting off topic

Mark \:D

#75732 - 02/03/03 03:50 PM Re: Comfortably Numb
Mark S Offline

Kirk

Been there too. I too liked the chemically induced numbness.

I was asked to go on the canabis trial, but it involved hospitals. ARRGGGHHHH so I decided I'd rather pay for it.

Never been much in to YES. Was that the tall bloke who played keyboards, can't think of his name.

Hope you enjoy the gig. I must get to at least one this year.

Dave.

Take more water with it. Ha Ha.

Victor.

I'm showing my ignorance. What does TTYL mean?

Mark

#75733 - 02/03/03 04:25 PM Re: Comfortably Numb
Archnut Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Mark

"Never been much in to YES. Was that the tall bloke who played keyboards, can't think of his name".

Rick Wakeman: He is back with them yet again must be "skint" \:D

Ive been following this lot since 1969 frightening isnt it? \:\(

What DOES TTYL mean?

Water with alcohol are you mad man ;\)
Havent touched a drop in eight years with two small benders. Im back on my Twelve step prog.

Take it easy all

And all that was left was hope

Kirk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.