Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 17 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63219 Topics
442067 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#75649 - 01/20/03 10:41 AM Misunderstood Lyrics
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
As survivors, we all probably know plenty of what it's like to be misunderstood--and to misunderstand.

I'd like for us to use this thread to share some words to songs that we've misunderstood--the words themselves, the meanings of the words, or both.

What you share might, to you, be profound, funny, unfortunate, tragic, magic, triggering, or in any way of significance to you, whether in relation specifically to your abuse or not.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you--yes, that means you-- ;\) have to share...

Victor

#75650 - 01/20/03 05:57 PM Re: Misunderstood Lyrics
Les_Angry Offline
MaleSurvivor

I remember back in the eighties when I was in college and I was on the track team. I went to a track meet with a guy from my home town who was on the team at a big name sports school. He was a friend of a friend and we didn't know each other that well except through mutual aquaintences. All through the day he kept noticing little wierd things about me and he would laugh, because he thought I was trying to be funny.

We were in a fast food drive through and the song "Hot for teacher" by Van Halen came on the radio. I thought the lyrics said "I don't feel dirty" although I found out later they were "I don't feel tardy" So I said how cool I thought that was and kind of suggested something to the effect that everybody feels that way. He just gave me a real serious look and said "whats wrong with you!?" And I was saying like "yeah you know, that dirty feeling like your a piece of shit, you know how adults make you feel that way when your a kid?" He was just getting more and more creeped out. There was a girl in the car with us and I said "you know what I'm talking about right?" She just kind of cringed and shook her head. I thought she was just agreeing with him because she liked him. It was really uncomfortable in the car after that. I don't remember how I dug myself out of that one, but things went back to normal by the time we got home.

Mo Healing

#75651 - 01/21/03 12:13 PM Re: Misunderstood Lyrics
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Mo, I'm glad you dug yourself up out of that hole!

In the early 70's, when the song by The Undisputed Truth's, "Smiling Faces (Sometimes)" came out, a bunch of my friends & I got into a debate over one word in one phrase in the last verse.

This is what one of my friends said he heard:
"Take my advice I'm only trying to school ya'."

This is what I thot I heard:
"Take my advice I'm only tryin' to screw ya'."

After listening to it intently a few times, I agreed with my friend that it says "school," which
is in fact the correct word for the song.

But this misunderstood lyrics thread got me thinking about why I thot it was "screw."

A mere mishearing? Perhaps.

But what I thot was that, at the very end of the song, the singer was putting a twist into it. In other words he was saying: "You can take my advice, but I'm trying to screw you too. I'm messing with your mind. I'm smiling too. You can't
trust me either. You can't trust anybody."

There it is. Especially at that time in my life, and for years after, I never thot anybody was trying to school me, to teach me, to show me the way. I thot everybody was trying to mess up my life, use me, screw me.

"Screw" me. In that word was, unknown to me at the time, an indication of why I felt I couldn't trust anyone...

Victor

#75652 - 01/21/03 03:11 PM Re: Misunderstood Lyrics
Les_Angry Offline
MaleSurvivor

I felt the same way. I always thought people were out to get me or screw me or whatever. It took me years to trust someone.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.