Newest Members
Mike Boyd, Serenity40, markm, hans32, SilentNoLonger
12133 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
bluestar7 (45), ferdie1949 (65), jonathan (57), LovingFriend (27), tjp42588 (26)
Who's Online
3 registered (atari_kid86, 2 invisible), 58 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12133 Members
73 Forums
62567 Topics
438394 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#75290 - 02/17/06 08:04 PM THE BOOK MYSTERIOUS SKIN (TRIGERS)
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
I just read the book Mysterious Skin. It deals with child sexual abuse , and the affect that it
had on two boys through out there lives . It was a hard book to read . because it was so real to me . I recomend the book .
It was Written by Scott Heim

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#75291 - 02/17/06 08:19 PM Re: THE BOOK MYSTERIOUS SKIN (TRIGERS)
FLRich Offline
MaleSurvivor

Michael,

I own the movie Mysterious skin on DVD. It is excellent, and very realistic. I can see bits of myself in both characters. I would recommend seeing it, but be warned, it is very graphic and definitely has the potential to trigger, big time.

I think movies like this are important, because it is time mainstream society realizes that male sexual abuse goes on every day and it is not going to go away. Parents need to warn their sons, as well as their daughters, about perps. This book/movie enlightens the general public on the effects of male sexual abuse very well.

#75293 - 02/18/06 02:33 AM Re: THE BOOK MYSTERIOUS SKIN (TRIGERS)
johnsurvived Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Arlington, Virginia
It is an astounding book. I haven't seen the film (yet), but Rich, your opinion counts high with me.

I wonder if Neil and Eric make two ends of a spectrum of response to abuse? If so, I'm waaaaaaaaay over toward the Neil end.

So, who's an Eric, who's a Neil, who's a little of both, and who's neither? This is a 'show of hands, please' post!

John

Take for us the foxes, the little foxes that spoil the vineyards; for our vines have tender grapes. Song of Solomon 2:15

But let justice roll down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream. Amos 5:24

#75294 - 02/19/06 04:51 PM Re: THE BOOK MYSTERIOUS SKIN (TRIGERS)
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
I just got the book.
and for the 1st time in along time I had a panic attack in along time..

I only read the 1st chapter. maybe coz i kno wat is to to be expected---I havent bin able to read for pleasure in a long time--- my studies or maby wat i should be studyiing--prepared for--

I'll have to finish this later
-Logan

-Blade Runner

#75295 - 02/20/06 01:15 PM Re: THE BOOK MYSTERIOUS SKIN (TRIGERS)
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

I 'm in the middle of the book. It's ok so far, a little un fuffilling and unrewarding so far---no thats not the right way to put it. Its as if the story is building up for something but is never going to get there, like some word one cant think of but is on the tip of yur tougne,
I don't wanna sound too criticle, sorry if i am.

But its just like something is begging to be told, maybe i'm impatient-No! i kno that i'm impatient but i just feels like you kno when you wanna sneeze but you cant-frustration-i guess its not only from the book. I guess i'm pinning too much blame on the book.

But the books stiffilling pace and its constantly jumping around Is as if it is written as a medafore of abuse

The insecurety of not knowing whats gonna happen but praying for a decent ending. The chaos surrounding every decision. The voice in my head sceaming 'Logan, Logan, LOGAN! Pull up. come on man save yourself. And I cant coz i dont kno how or wat to do.
i feel like i fell of a ship and am treading water on the surface in the middle of the ocean. I know that no one is coming back to look for me. I feel doomed and know that eventually my arms are gonna get too tired to keep me afloat and eventually the enevitable will happen, my head will submerge and that will be it. As I wait treading water dreading was is going to come next, Its as if I'm alread drowning, sinking, dieing but painfully slowly with out a freind or lifr line or savior.

I think i'm burned out. Maybe still burning. I just want a break from it all

I guess its more me than the book.

Sorry for rambling

Logan

-Blade Runner

#75296 - 02/20/06 06:32 PM Re: THE BOOK MYSTERIOUS SKIN (TRIGERS)
Don-NY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Long Island, NY
Logan, Logan, LOGAN,

PUT the book away for now. You don't need their stories. Your own is enough right now.

You're not all alone, getting weaker in the middle of some ocean. We're all around, and this place is a life line for sure.

You have a lot going on, with your studies and with AA. How are those things going?

Maybe you do need a break, and I'd start by taking a break from that book. Put the book down and maybe you'll find you're not in the ocean, you're in the Bay, and the water is only 5 feet deep.

Watch Weddding Crashers again, or let me recommend two of Steve Martin's best - "All of Me", and "My Blue Heaven".

I really want to know how things are going with for you with AA and drinking.

Donald

#144125 - 03/05/07 03:26 PM Re: THE BOOK MYSTERIOUS SKIN (TRIGERS) [Re: johnsurvived]
MemoryVault Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
Mysterious Skin had a lot to do with why I decided to reach out to this group-- it seemed like my life--both sides of it, right there on the screen. I was sobbing while I watched it, and I hadn't had that happen in ten years.

I kind of grew up to be both Brian and Neil. Much more Brian as a kid--disembodied, sexless, kind of geeky. I didn't think I'd been abducted by aliens, but I'd really wanted to be. Just a big sense of something apocalyptic and strange in my life that I had no words for.

The Neil stuff, the detached sexuality, that icy freeze when someone expresses love, the constant dance of using and being used, the friends who try to get in... that's been a big part of my life today.

I'm really working on trying to stop acting like a cuddly geek at work and an unpaid hustler in the rest of my life.

Yeah, amazing book and movie, but triggering as hell.

#144188 - 03/06/07 01:50 AM Re: THE BOOK MYSTERIOUS SKIN (TRIGERS) [Re: MemoryVault]
AshSurvived Offline

Loc: Australia
Great film. After what's been said I'm not sure about trying out the book though.

For me the film was so much about the effects of the abuse, and I related so much to that.

- Harvey Pekar to David Letterman
(American Splendour)

#144637 - 03/09/07 07:08 AM Re: THE BOOK MYSTERIOUS SKIN (TRIGERS) [Re: AshSurvived]
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

I personally did not like the film. realistic as it might be. I wanted a clamatic ending of some type of closure to spining aroung of thier lives. IK also fdlt thebook to be the same sad endinf that kead nowere.

-Blade Runner

#146111 - 03/19/07 05:51 PM Re: THE BOOK MYSTERIOUS SKIN (TRIGERS) [Re: OKIE MIKE]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
Someone please tell me what my wife would get from viewing the DVD??? It has been suggested to her...I don't know why...I'll order it if she can learn some perspective. I just want to ensure this is not just pointless-pain for her.

I can tell you I will not watch ANY film described as this...just cuz I dont want the medics peeling me off the wall I run into.

Still's Globs

New Video

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.